Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spline Patch modeling - who uses that technique to model?

Spline Patch modeling - who uses that technique to model?

I came across an old NewtekPro magazine and there was a tutorial about building a boat using Spline Patch modeling and I had to ask myself - who models using that technique? It seems like it's been 10 plus years since I've attempted to modeled anything using that method and was wondering if it is even relevant today. Maybe for some retopo work but I can't imagine why with some of the great retopo solutions that are out there today. I'd like to hear about some of the advantages - if they exist.

I do. Mind you, I use EasySpline to do it. I like the accuracy of it. You lay out your splines and where 4 or 3 splines are joined at the ends, it automatically patches the mesh. With easyspline you can set the triangle patches' direction using a priority Vmap, and so you can control poly flow that way. When I'm happy with the mesh, I can freeze it and then turn it into subpatches, and keep the old spline cage in a background layer in case I want to modify anything. You can set how dense the frozen mesh is as well.
    http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Dire...Ins/EasySplineClick image for larger version. 

Name:	VW_EasySpline.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	135891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VW_Splines.JPG 
Views:	402 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	135892
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

On some occasion I still do. When the object has a continous but complex smooth surface. Cars usually have that.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    For a complex, well defined surface, it seems like it would be the best way for a truly accurate model. Especially with EasySpline, which seems awesome.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

I have already been crucified for my opinions on this. So why type it all again, just to get crucified anew...lol:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....8-Spline-patch

I still do for certain things.. I'll have a tutorial about a neat little modeling trick using these when I find some time. I'm posting the tease here to force myself to do it.

Only in Rhino for engineering-oriented modeling work.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    I have already been crucified for my opinions on this. So why type it all again, just to get crucified anew...lol:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....8-Spline-patch
    Interesting thread. I messed around with a spline cage and patching to see if it's improved since Sensei's demo of it acting up - and NOT! That's what I remember about it - it was not a forgiving way to model - you have to follow certain rules and they don't always apply. I'm with you Surrealist - why bother. EasySpline however does look fantastic and if those types of tools where ever included natively in LW I would most likely use it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    I still do for certain things.. I'll have a tutorial about a neat little modeling trick using these when I find some time. I'm posting the tease here to force myself to do it.
    Yes - I would love to know more.

Not using spline cages
    Not because it does suck in lw, but because the
    whole concept is a bit lame:
    Not enough control on the output edge flow,
    and the risk ending up with too much geometry is too high.

If you got a program wich uses NURBS (The bezier spline ones)
    as geometry output there might be some use to them, but imho you
    still end up with too much geometry when converting them back go polygons,
    making further editing a pain in the butt.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    tischbein3 is probably right about poly flow, but I can imagine a shape like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Curvy Bench.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	135898

might be very amendable to spline modeling, and then re-topo'ing in one's preferred sw.

For me, the freezing process always took virtually all the desirable shine off of spline modeling. Had I ever invested in EasySpline, perhaps that would be such a big deal.

++++++++
    Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Interesting thread. I messed around with a spline cage and patching to see if it's improved since Sensei's demo of it acting up - and NOT!
    Oh, I think it's better than originally: I used to struggle to get ANYthing to work at all. At some point, it got to where I couldn't make it fail even when I tried. That said, it's still very awkward.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 02-06-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

If I were to model anything like a car or other surface that has smooth flowing surfaces, sure. You can control output flow fine by defining them in your splines. You don't need to use them to create the whole object, but for laying out your broad forms, an absolutely valid way of modeling. Sometimes its also useful for filling a gap in a mesh by selecting the border points, create splines with them and patching (and I mean irregular or unusual shapes, not just simple shapes which can be patched in much simpler ways.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
    I do. Mind you, I use EasySpline to do it. I like the accuracy of it. You lay out your splines and where 4 or 3 splines are joined at the ends, it automatically patches the mesh. With easyspline you can set the triangle patches' direction using a priority Vmap, and so you can control poly flow that way. When I'm happy with the mesh, I can freeze it and then turn it into subpatches, and keep the old spline cage in a background layer in case I want to modify anything. You can set how dense the frozen mesh is as well.
    Exactly so, I used EasySpline for that kind of modeling as well. Lately, I tend to do that kind of work in FormZ instead, due to richer toolset, etc.

Still, if all you have is LW, I highly recommend using EasySpline for such work, I feel it offers advantages versus "native".

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    For me, the freezing process always took virtually all the desirable shine off of spline modeling. Had I ever invested in EasySpline, perhaps that would be such a big deal.
    Better control over freezing, etc. is definitely a big part of why I prefer EasySpline over "native".
    Last edited by jwiede; 02-06-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

_
    I love spline modeling because it's so fast and easy to add (insane amounts of) little details and modify your shape with Splinepoint (part of Easyspline), and to add holes without having to clean up the geometry. But I would not even consider spline patching in LW without Easyspline; not ever.

Spline method is probably more advantageous for people who know how to draw.
    Making a spline cage of a car, tracing its body contour and outline, then patching it. Really fast way to model cars.
    Ask Lewis if he still uses spline modelling to do cars.

I still do. It depends on the object.

One example I can think of was a dish soap bottle I modeled for a commercial many years ago. The general bottle shape was easy enough but the front and one side of the bottle had these deep assymetrical 'scallop-shape' indentations, which would have been difficult to model without spline patching. Using this technique, I was able to keep the polygons nicely uniform, and I wound up with a much cleaner object than if I used typical Subpatch methods.

(Although, I guess nowadays, I'd probably voxel sculpt this object in 3D Coat and use its retopo tools instead.)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast