Thread: Spreadsheet web app

Spreadsheet web app

Just created a new a web control application called 'Spreadsheet'. This app allows you to load an Excel like list of data, select a line of information from it and send it into DataLink fields on the TriCaster. A short training video is available that shows configuration and usage.

You can download it from here: http://bit.ly/kanesworld

The app does require Advanced Edition 2 on your TriCaster system. Also if you want to run the app from an iOS (or perhaps Android) you can use a cloud storage service to get the CSV data from your computer to the tablet. I tried this with OneDrive on my iPad and it worked great.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Great little app!

Too bad we didn't have it for the elections, would have really come in handy!

Quick question for you, Kane:

I loaded the sample spreadsheet, to try it out. Works great. BUT, now my session has datalink keys stuck in it from that demo. How is it possible to remove the unused/unwanted keys so I'm not cluttering my up list unnecessarily? Maybe a tweak to your app to remove all keys "%sheet% keys unless they're supplied by the program on a given session?

Thanks!

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

I'm not aware of a way to remove DataLink keys from a session. They can be cleared to be blank, but I don't think there is a command to remove them. Creating a new session will start with the default set of keys, but once a new key is added it is part of that session.
    Last edited by kanep; 01-23-2017 at 10:56 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Ah, that's a shame. We'll have to move one with all those demo fields stuck in there!

Wish there was a utility to clear out ALL the custom Datalink keys (hint, hint ...).

Thanks,

Fritz

New sessions will start with none of these extra fields, new DataLink fields as stored on a session by session basis. If the API is extended to allow deleting DataLink keys I could add it pretty easily.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

I downloaded the application last night and built a roster and it worked great!

I do have a couple questions though.

For sports, you would have two rosters. Would you just open two windows or build one spreadsheet with both teams on it?

Secondly, if I go somewhere without internet can I connect a laptop straight to the Tricaster and have it work like that or does it require an internet connection to bridge the data? In testing last night, I used my home network and it worked great. I then move both the Tricaster and Laptop over to a hotspot and could not get them to communicate. Even after rebooting both machines.

You can do either with two rosters. The app can be opened in multiple systems or tabs of a web browser. If you want each roster to have separate DataLink keys make sure you have unique titles for each roaster. If you want either to update the same keys, then use the same titles in both CSV files.

Internet is not required, just need the two systems to see each other, everything to make it work is included in the app. Could the network at the other location be blocking port 80 between the systems. A hotspot might do that, as it really isn't a network to have clients communicate between each other but just acces the Internet.
    Last edited by kanep; 01-25-2017 at 07:42 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks for the info. I see what you mean about the keys needing to be labeled differently. So I may need like "H Player Name or A Player Name" to represent Home and Away roster information.

Kane, We downloaded the info, but when we try to open the sheets (your example or the one we created) nothing happens. any suggestions?

What model TriCaster are you running and what browser are you using?
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

410 ae with chrome