Thread: Using an X Keys controller on a 850

Using an X Keys controller on a 850

We have a Tricaster 850 that we were never able to purchase a CS for. We also own a X-Keys XKE-124 tbar unit. We would like to use these two together, but for some reason hardware mode will not work on the controller. Has anyone installed Macro Works onto an 850? If I can do this it will work in software mode. I have seen that Advanced edition has X-Keys integration, but this is just an 850 and we really would like easier control than mouse / keyboard. If I don't hear back within a week I will try it out and see what happens and post it here in case someone else runs into a similar need.

I cant speak to an 850, but I use an X-Keys controller on my Mini. Works great! I tried the Newtek Add On but it does not work right for me.

I am pretty sure mine is running in hardware mode. When you say it is not working what do you mean?

For example just custom macros you create or everything? Could you simply program F1 and make it switch to source one?

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    I have a spare 850 control surface or 2 actually if you would like to purchase one. It will work perfect I know.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

As the 850 does not support Macros, you will not be able to trigger custom actions. However, I see no reason whatsoever that you can't program the Xkeys unit in Hardware Mode, using the TriCaster keyboard shortcuts that already exist in TriCaster to duplicate many functions onto the Xkeys unit.

For example:

* Function keys will switch Program row
    * Number keys (across top) switch Preview Row
    * ENTER = TAKE
    * SPACE = TRANSITION

And so forth. The Xkeys unit looks no different to TriCaster than ANY keyboard you might attach to the TriCaster, so it would HAVE to work. Maybe it is not programmed correctly in MacroWorks? I do extensive work with ALL of the various Xkeys units, never a problem controlling TriCaster.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

I am programming the direct shortcut keys eg. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0... for the preview bus respectively, in hardware mode. I have a smaller controller that works fine in this manner and does control the system. I have programmed this bigger controller in the same manner, but even on the machine that I am doing the programming on it is inoperable.

The physical buttons are responding in the X-Keys software. I can press it down and it brings up the input window to program it, so I feel like the computer knows they are there and working. If I program something simple like a "1" and write it to the device, then open notepad and press the button I get nothing. If I switch to software mode and program it in the same manner it works perfectly fine leading me to think that maybe there is a bad memory chip or something that can't store the program?

I can try installing the X-Keys software on there and just setting all the keys in software mode, I am just hoping that I am doing something wrong and the hardware mode does work correctly.

What I am doing is as follows:

Plug Controller in
    Open Macro Works
    it detects the unit automatically as it is the only one plugged in
    select hardware mode
    verify correct orientation of the unit based in this case off of the T-Bar location
    open the desired button for programming
    record "1" as the only button press for it to do on the down press, nothing on the up
    tell Macro Works to write the program to the device
    Open a text pad and press the button
    no response

Same thing in software mode minus the Write to device command and it works perfectly fine.

All I can think is maybe something is loose on the inside or a bad memory chip of some sort. I have tried programming from two different machines and can use the 24 button model with no issues. That one is being used by our graphics operator to reun overlays and all that. I haven't had any trouble with the smaller model which is what made this so confusing to me.

"Open a text pad and press the button" <-- Not sure what that means

After writing the device are you then plugging it back to the Tricaster USB port and hitting the button you programmed on the X-Keys unit while in an open session?

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_TVPat1982 View Post
    "Open a text pad and press the button" <-- Not sure what that means

After writing the device are you then plugging it back to the Tricaster USB port and hitting the button you programmed on the X-Keys unit while in an open session?
    Sorry, that was a vague statement. I press the button that should be programmed (eg. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0, mapped to a specific macro button) through hardware mode. It does not give input to any computer I have tried it on.

Seems clear from your description that the issue has nothing to do with TriCaster, and that the Xkeys is just not working right. Please contact Xkeys support. They've been great when I have worked with them. Maybe you need a firmware update or something

Thanks

Jeff

X-keys Hardware Mode

M Productions, it certainly sounds like a tech issue.
    We have a very friendly support staff.
    Contact us at tech@xkeys.com or call the number on our website.
    Sorry to hear about the issue.
    Last edited by pi48895; 01-31-2017 at 02:25 PM.
    Dan
    from P.I. Engineering
    The No Slogan Company

Quote Originally Posted by pi48895 View Post
    M Productions, it certainly sounds like a tech issue.
    We have a very friendly support staff.
    Contact us at tech@xkeys.com or call the number on our website.
    Sorry to hear about the issue.
    Not a big problem, Just trying to get it figured out before graduation season starts