Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lightning / Electricity : What ever happened to Vertilectric?

Wow, that does resonate with some long dormant neurons.

There are a number of plug-ins that simply didn't progress past a certain point for whatever reason and no one stepped up to the plate. Can anyone say Ponteri's SuperGlow2?

For lightning though, I generally do that in After Effects. Even for stills work, I often find AE more robust than Photoshop. Anyway, here's an album cover I did eons ago using AE's native lightning tool:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DennisJonesBand.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	558.3 KB 
ID:	135642

The time spent here on lamentation over outdated plugins should have been enough to make that darned effect 10 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post

There are a number of plug-ins that simply didn't progress past a certain point for whatever reason and no one stepped up to the plate. Can anyone say Ponteri's SuperGlow2?

For lightning though, I generally do that in After Effects. Even for stills work, I often find AE more robust than Photoshop. Anyway, here's an album cover I did eons ago using AE's native lightning tool:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DennisJonesBand.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	558.3 KB 
ID:	135642
    OMG... I friggin' loved that plugin!

As for AEX... I'd do it that way, except my lightning is weaving between objects, and without viable render passes (Maya style... LW is pretty wimpy on it... ), it's just not practical (too damned much rotoscoping).

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    LOL, good times.

IIRC, Vertilectric , of late lamented fame, had at least two methods. One was a "live", Layout oriented method that generated "real" 3d lightning on the fly. The other option, if memory serves, was more Modeler-centric and generated a sequence of geometry that was then used in Layout via the Object Sequence facility.

I don't think it's been mentioned here, but the Layout version allowed, again, if memory serves, the user to chain target nulls, which allowed one to, among other things, "write" with a "lightning font".

Those indeed were The Good Ol' Days.

And mentioned above, SuperGLOW is also sorely missed. TMK LW still cannot do some of the tricks it allowed.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    LOL, good times.

IIRC, Vertilectric , of late lamented fame, had at least two methods. One was a "live", Layout oriented method that generated "real" 3d lightning on the fly. The other option, if memory serves, was more Modeler-centric and generated a sequence of geometry that was then used in Layout via the Object Sequence facility.

I don't think it's been mentioned here, but the Layout version allowed, again, if memory serves, the user to chain target nulls, which allowed one to, among other things, "write" with a "lightning font".

Those indeed were The Good Ol' Days.

And mentioned above, SuperGLOW is also sorely missed. TMK LW still cannot do some of the tricks it allowed.
    Your memory serves correctly on all counts. Many a flying logo had lightning back then from Lightwave / Vertilectric

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post

What all did SuperGlow2 provide that isn't possible now?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    What all did SuperGlow2 provide that isn't possible now?
    If I can remember correctly, you simply applied it to the desired surface you wanted to glow. Bang! Done. Simple settings to adjust amount of glow & radius & I think you had independent color options as well. Rendered reasonably fast as well.

The really major thing though is, the glow still worked behind transparent, refracting & reflecting objects w/o having to jump through a myriad of hoops just to get it to do what you wanted. I think the glow could be added in with the alpha channel too. Basically, it was simple to use & looked great.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    The glowing behind xparent surfaces was one thing, and the exclusions that you applied to OTHER surfaces/objects were another.

IIRC the author just didn't make enough dosh off of it. He also had a day job at Microsoft.

I had a video for this... will try and track it down.

Just wanted to add that of the reasons I love the 2 point poly lightning is that it's real geometry that can be rigged easily. If I remember correctly Vertelectric made different geo on each frame which made it hard to control when you had an art director wanting specific movement.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    VL: You could also have it target Nulls, and animate the nulls. I think it would adjust the, uhhhhh, fractal-osity-ness to remain constant no matter the length of the span. Like I said, there was at least two arrows in that quiver.

Excellent product. I wonder how many vendors could actually prosper serving LW.

More info about the death of Vertilectric, that stopped development at LW 5.6:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20050208...rtiLectric.htm

"Update: VertiLectric 1.2 (for LW6/7 compatibility) is currently on hold. Fundamental changes to LightWave which were introduced in LW 6 have caused us to make the difficult decision to not release 1.2 indefinitely. While we have fully working beta versions of 1.2, some of the workarounds necessary for the user to properly use VL with LW 6+ are just too difficult to justify releasing it as a commercial plugin. "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12