Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vs4000 - Only one caller's audio on-air at a time via XLR?

Thanks Steve for the input. Regarding the downmix XLR capacity, you would still have discrete control of what is being sent to air, its just that the TS op would be doing it inside of the TS instead of your A1. You're having the TS op "mix" the appropriate callers, sending them to "air", and using only one strip on the outboard console. This would be of use to those facilities that lack the strips on the console to handle 4 discrete audio channels via XLR as well as simplify installation for those, like us, that have an 8k and a 4k yet still wish to have audio handled outside of the TC.

Regarding using the TC to do the TS audio, you propose an interesting thought and one that I'd not thought of myself. Truth be told, I've spent nearly two solid days trying to sort this out and I welcome any outside eyeballs and brains on this problem.

I will take another dive in to this behind the racks and see what I can come up with. Thank you for your assistance, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    You're having the TS op "mix" the appropriate callers, sending them to "air", and using only one strip on the outboard console.
    How do you create your mix minuses for return in this scenario?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Use the TC to send the mix minuses via NDI, and have the mixdown come in to the outboard console on the XLR's for show.

Your suggestions have been a huge help.
    I just finished starting a new "testing" show on the Tricaster using the Talkshow and configuring the aux's as you suggested. I had 3 of the 4 Skype channels open as well as a few studio mics and DDR sources. Everyone could hear what they were supposed to hear and not what they weren't - so, conceptually anyway, we're back in business and that's all thanks to you steering me down the right path.

The downside is that now this will require us spending at least another $1k on a control surface (Avid Artist Mix, probably) that will allow an outboard console to control the internal audio capabilities of the TC, as well as the studio downtime to un-wire all of our analog audio gear and re-configure to have the TC handle everything.

Its not something I'm averse to doing, it is just something I didn't expect, nor budget for, when the VS 4000 was purchased. I think that the audio capabilities / specifics of the Talkshow VS4000 could be a little clearer in the sales information - especially since it would appear that this machine is really geared towards an IP-based audio workflow.
    Last edited by dhodlick; 01-05-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    The downside is that now this will require us spending at least another $1k on a control surface (Avid Artist Mix, probably) that will allow an outboard console to control the internal audio capabilities of the TC
    It seems to me that for all of the 'pre-program' audio purposes, the (mouse-driven) control offered by TC and VS4000 together is adequate for config/bench-marking levels. That is to say that I don't think you usually really need to actively ride mix minus levels for return to caller, or call levels those purposes.

Now, you will , of course, need to modulate your caller audio (to program) on the fly ... if you are using a mix down to one input on the external mixer, that's a problem; but even if you can't spare three more inputs on the primary mixer, I'd be tempted to keep the four channels independent out of TC's Aux and run through a sub-mixer first on the way to the primary. Analog audio mixers are cheaper than borscht.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

And BTW - I'm listening closely to your suggestions, too, and am seriously looking at some related changes. I don't want promise anything just yet, because I don't want to tempt the Law of Unintended Consequences.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12