Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SpeedEDIT?

SpeedEDIT?

Guys and gals,

I'm still a fan of SpeedEDIT.. The more editors I try, the more I live the SE workflow!

What editors are you guys using and what are SpeedEDIT's strengths and weaknesses?
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    CRO - Chief Relationship Officer
    [email protected]
    http://www.newtek.com

Follow NewTek on Twitter!
    @PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

SpeedEDIT's major weakness is it's no longer being produced for retail. The only other weakness I notice is the lack of updated file formats that can be rendered.

I love everything else about the program. Our school system still uses SpeedEDIT 2.5 on 20 laptops and 4 desktop computers that have the license.

We are still hanging on and haven’t switched programs yet. Truth be told, we don’t want to make a move to a different program. If an update becomes available, we are buying.

Philip, use your powers to bring SpeedEDIT back!

Shh.. I'm working on a secret plan.. One of the problems is the state of the editing industry.. It's rapidly becoming free at this point.. Trying to see if there is an opportunity here..
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    [email protected]

@PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

I have two seats of SE 2.5 in my home studio. I can sit a newbie in front of this program and have them editing in an evening. Although other edit programs are also on my computer, I have little need for them. SE does it easier and faster.
    The same drawbacks are noted above. It needs updated codec support. More presets and preset sharing.
    If it came out at a low price, it would be better.

Still using SE 2.5. I bought HitFilm as a companion compositor (which I recommend BTW) and if I have to edit in 4K, I have to use HitFilm.

But . . . . I can drag a 4K .mov file from my GH4 onto the SE timeline and SE faithfully scales to 50% and I can proceed to edit 4K (output to 1080) in SE!

Pretty handy for a program this long in the tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by pnelson View Post
    Shh.. I'm working on a secret plan.. One of the problems is the state of the editing industry.. It's rapidly becoming free at this point.. Trying to see if there is an opportunity here..

Free? Where is the free editing world of which you speak? SE should never be free. We are willing to pay. We just need it to be available. Maybe you can acquire a compositor and bundle it? Pleaaaaseeeee.

I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by pnelson View Post

Free? Where is the free editing world of which you speak? SE should never be free. We are willing to pay. We just need it to be available. Maybe you can acquire a compositor and bundle it? Pleaaaaseeeee.

I need it.

Good feedback!

Yeah... free is not a good business model.. HA!
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    [email protected]

@PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

Just Tryin' To Help...
    I'm pretty sure I've recently seen, and replied to, a similar post from you Phillip, but in the interest of supporting the replies above - I use two SE seats, in exclusion of any other editor, and also want to see it given a second life! My primary request continues to be to bring back audio output via FireWire to the stand-alone version so I can upgrade back to the latest version on my laptop editor. Integrated compositing would also be very welcome. Thank you for asking.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Scott,

Dumb question.. What is your firewire workflow? I personally haven't used Firewire in many years.
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    [email protected]

@PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

Just Tryin' To Help...
    FireWire is the only A/V output from my laptop. When I want to record direct to DVD on my DVD recorder (or to it's hard drive) I run a FireWire cable direct from the laptop to the recorder and play the project out of SE in realtime. Worked fine up until SE v2.5 or 2.6, but then lost the capability to also send the audio out with the video (video would output, but not audio), so had to revert back to SE 2.1 to do it. A real pain when I don't need fancy or complex DVD menus created through software and then rendered to a master DVD burned on the laptop.
    Last edited by Scott Bates; 09-22-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Multimedia Magician
    Actually, totally give it away for free. Saturate the market with it. Liken it to the freemium model on mobile devices. Seriously.. hear me out...

1. Give it away. You already have a finished product. Polish it up and get it into everyone's hands.

2. Make it easy to buy bells and whistles from within the program. New FX, extra features, etc. It doesn't even have to be expensive. I'd rather sell 100,000 $5 items, than 10 $200 items.

3. Cross promote. Make it easy for third party developers to tie into SE2. You can even license the ability to them.

Make your editor so prevalent that every production company is using it, because every communications student is learning on SE2.

I've been editing for 25 years. This is the best UI I've ever worked with. There are a lot of other people on here who feel the same way.

Travisr. I like your conecept but with any editor, there are licensing fees in order to even give it away... Good things to think about though
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    [email protected]

@PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

I don't prepare many slideshows, but I just finished one with SpeedEdit. It was amazingly easy by sequencing using the storyboard and then adding overlapping cross fades on the timeline, pans and zooms, using the control tree with keyframes. A bit of colour correction and timeline placement to the music.
    The client was very impressed how I was right on top of every request and results were quicker than he could finish asking.

One future request would be 10 bit optimization for my ProRez 4:2:2 video files that my new recorders produce.
    Last edited by donx; 09-24-2016 at 12:29 PM.

Multimedia Magician
    Even Microsoft took a hit in order to get XBox units into households across the country. They sold their units for less than it cost to make them. However, the back-end of that effort has been a tremendous benefit to them.

So, licensing fees aside, the approach may be worth a look. In fact, you may want to have discussion with the licensing parties and explain the vision, to see if they would be accommodating... reaching a much larger audience benefits everybody involved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast