Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show/Hide Polygon Selection

Show/Hide Polygon Selection

Hi All

Is there a way to show/hide polygon selections via a shortcut or lscript, instead of having to open the Display panel each time?
    I often need to have a polygon selection active but not have the selection visible while I am working.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    ??? I didn't even know you COULD have a Selection active and Hidden at the same time.

Or do you mean the Vuport visibility options? IDK, but that's a good question. You might check the LScript SDK/dox for such functions.

For what operations do you need to do this?
    +++++

Oh, there it is in DISPLAY OPTIONS. Hmm.

You might want to REPOST this in the Scripting section. FWIW, sometimes control of the interface got rather short shrift in the scripting capabilities.

FWIW, you can leave the Display Options panel open while you work.

++++
    http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscript/Lscript%20Index.html

++++
    Maybe a real scripter can chime in here, but I suspect COMMANDINPUT is the thing you want. IIRC it is an interface between LScript and the C SDK, and allows LScript to execute short C fragments. If there is no explicity visibility controls in LScript, it's possible they exist in C, and this might be how you get at them.

Of course, you might want to get all newfangled and go with Python.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 09-11-2016 at 10:11 AM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    ??? I didn't even know you COULD have a Selection active and Hidden at the same time.

Or do you mean the Vuport visibility options? IDK, but that's a good question. You might check the LScript SDK/dox for such functions.

For what operations do you need to do this?
    +++++

Oh, there it is in DISPLAY OPTIONS. Hmm.
    Yeah I just mean the selection visibility, not the polygon visibility. Sometimes I need to control certain parts of the geometry without affecting others, but having the selection showing is very distracting. Especially when selections show backfacing as well.

I can't see anything in LScript that allows me to control the selection display.

Quote Originally Posted by gamedesign1 View Post
    Hi All

Is there a way to show/hide polygon selections via a shortcut or lscript, instead of having to open the Display panel each time?
    I often need to have a polygon selection active but not have the selection visible while I am working.
    Hi

The only thinng I can think of right now is you could either set one of your viewports to independant visibility and turn of polygon selection or you could go into your display options under layout tab and go under polygon selection color and change it to a color that is close you your object surface but exactly so it acts like a ghosted effect. (So it's just slightly visible)

Hope this helps

Thanks,
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by jboudreau View Post
    Hi

The only thinng I can think of right now is you could either set one of your viewports to independant visibility and turn of polygon selection or you could go into your display options under layout tab and go under polygon selection color and change it to a color that is close you your object surface but exactly so it acts like a ghosted effect. (So it's just slightly visible)

Hope this helps

Thanks,
    Jason
    Hi thanks for your suggestion I am not sure that will actually make things much more time saving as I would have to change that color everytime I was working on a different surface. I think I will just have to use the polygon selection switch in the display panel and stop complaining about it haha

Thanks though guys

Hi All

Unless I'm misunderstanding, with the polys you want to hide selected, simply hitting the minus key will hide them & keep them from being affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Unless I'm misunderstanding, with the polys you want to hide selected, simply hitting the minus key will hide them & keep them from being affected.
    yes he wants to hide the selection display not the polygons themselves. For example if you select a bunch of polygons then go into display mode and click off display polygon selection. The polygons are still selected but you don't see them, so he can still manipulate them, move rotate stretch ... but when he wants to select something else he has to go back into the display options panel and check back on display polygon selection so he can see what he is selecting. The problem is with going back and forth to the display panel. He needs a hot key that he can press that works like a toggle switch off and on.

I completely understand why he wants this, I've wanted this myself quite a few times. The polygon selection display can really get in the way sometimes.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Last edited by jboudreau; 09-11-2016 at 11:00 AM.
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I spent 'wayy too much time looking in the LScript and C dox, and I didn't see anything. Doesn't mean it isn't there, somewhere, hidden in the programmerese.

Hi thanks for your suggestion I am not sure that will actually make things much more time saving as I would have to change that color everytime I was working on a different surface. I think I will just have to use the polygon selection switch in the display panel and stop complaining about it haha

Thanks though guys
    Yeah you are right, Okay here is a work around I just thought of it's not ideal but it works. Set two of your viewports to be perspective. Make sure independent rotation is not set on both viewports. now set one of the to have independent visibility on and turn off what you want, polygon selection, normals etc. Use the other viewport to make your selections and the 2nd viewport to see what you are doing without having polygon selection in the way.

Hope this makes sense

Thanks,
    Jason

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I spent 'wayy too much time looking in the LScript and C dox, and I didn't see anything. Doesn't mean it isn't there, somewhere, hidden in the programmerese.
    I did the same thing, couldn't find it either

Thanks,
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

sORRY..
    I missed intitial request of shortcut for it.

the workaround would be to keep one viewport in a modeling session with show polygon selection of, and another with, and switch viewport when needed.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    :headslap: D'oh! -- Use WEIGHT MAP FALLOFF.

No need to select the polys or points if they have a weight map applied, and the tool you are using has w.map falloff.

Try something like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Display.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	862.8 KB 
ID:	134451

Thanks,
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Which operations in particulare are we talking about?

What do you mean?
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Sorry.... I was wondering if the OP was using basic tools, or more advanced stuff.

I think you have the winning workflow here, but am looking at the tools to see which ones do/don't have FALLOFF: W.MAP options>

NO = Axis Translate (weak!) (NO to all "Axis..." tools: "Axis Center"??? What's that?)
    YES= Move
    YES= Drag
    NO = Rove (I'm the only one that uses ROVE anyway....)
    NO = Tweak ([email protected], I shoulda been using Tweak more...)
    YES= Dragnet
    YES= Magnet
    YES= Shear
    YES= Stretch
    YES= Rotate
    NO = Bend (!!!)
    YES= Twist
    YES= Vortex
    YES= Taper and Taper Constrain

Most of the olde tools have w.map falloff, most of the new tools do not.

++
    Weirdly, I got ONE auto-incremented weight map auto generated and thought "Great!" but just the one : first one called "Weight", then "Weight 1", then it busted. Too bad. I think a script that automatically generates incremented w.maps would be helpful. Sadly, selecting w.maps still blows chunks-- how could this be so completely lame???

IMM, You should be able to get a w.map with a lame-ish name w/one button push (and a better name with a little more work), and you should be able to SELECT that w.map's members with one click in a scrolling list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast