Thread: Difference between .p and .py

Difference between .p and .py

Hi All

Could someone tell me what the different between the .p and .py format is for a Python script.
    I am guessing that .p is a compiled version of .py, but I am probably wrong.

If I am right, could someone point me in the right direction of how I compile a Python scrip into a .p format?

Thanks

.pyc files are pre-compiled. Python compiles .py files on the fly. This shortens the startup time, because the file is compiled into bytecode first, but does not change how fast the code runs.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

.p files are compiled C plugins. Not python scripts.

To compile your LW python script you need to do it through Layout or Modeler, depending on what environment your script is for.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

In almost all cases, compiled python scripts (.PYC) run exactly the same as uncompiled python scripts (.PY). The only major difference is that you can open uncompiled scripts in a text editor and edit the script.

The only reason to ever compile your code is if you want to provide users with a plugin, but not reveal the source code you put together. Understand though that python scripts can be de-compiled using tools available online... so you would want to limit who can get their hands on the actual plugin file to reduce the chances of piracy.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Thanks guys