Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More Details!!

Taking it back one more step if the intent is to have a 4 port SDI to NDI converter, than a reasonable spec PC in a racked case running NDI connect pro could also suit.

Quote Originally Posted by AElli View Post
    Taking it back one more step if the intent is to have a 4 port SDI to NDI converter, than a reasonable spec PC in a racked case running NDI connect pro could also suit.
    Just be aware that while Connect Pro will let you build your own solution, the VMC1 In module also adds four channels of recording and external tally, which Connect Pro doesn't offer.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Just be aware that while Connect Pro will let you build your own solution, the VMC1 In module also adds four channels of recording and external tally, which Connect Pro doesn't offer.
    Can you explain the recording channels? Does it just function like the Isocorder on the Tricaster but instead on the VMC1 IN?
    Gabe Thomas

It's similar to NDI IsoCorder Pro. Basically, you can start and stop recording of any of the four incoming a/v channels (you can mix and match audio and video sources when configuring a channel, btw) all at one time or individually.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Kane, is that record to local storage within the 'in' box ? Or NAS ? Or maybe both ?

Quote Originally Posted by AElli View Post
    Kane, is that record to local storage within the 'in' box ? Or NAS ? Or maybe both ?
    The IN box has no storage inside (beyond a small boot drive). You can use the USB3 on the back of unit for recording, but in most cases I think you would be looking at a SAN/NAS as the target. One recording location can be set per video channel.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    The IN box has no storage inside (beyond a small boot drive). You can use the USB3 on the back of unit for recording, but in most cases I think you would be looking at a SAN/NAS as the target. One recording location can be set per video channel.
    The VMC1 Input module has two NICs so one could be used to send NDI sources to your VMC1 Mix engine and one could be attached to a completely separate network for recording to Network attached storage.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

I'm still not seeing the whole thing here, I'm surly missing something?? NDI connect pro alongside ISO corder would do the same for much much less $$$$s, OK it doesn't have tally but as a standalone unit it doesn't seem to me to do more than what I'm already suggesting with NDI software already available, Instead of using the 'in' as a standalone sdi ndi workflow. Im not looking to be negative or give anyone a hard time but What am I missing ? What's the incentive to spend twice as much $$$$ for the same SDI NDI solution?..
    Last edited by AElli; 09-16-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Condren View Post
    The VMC1 Input module has two NICs so one could be used to send NDI sources to your VMC1 Mix engine and one could be attached to a completely separate network for recording to Network attached storage.
    At a higher level, its important think think that when moving to IP video (in particular NDI since we considered this from day one, AIMS/ASPEN are not quite the same) that the ability to store all of your video sources at all times is something that you really can be doing. On VMC1 using input boxes it is entirely feasible to record a show that has 20-40 cameras and have all of that media stored. This obviously needs to be a SAN, but once you are in IP space you should be thinking that way anyway. The reason we built VMC1 IN so that it has recording is to help scale the concept of ISO Recording your entire show as part of a larger workflow ... something that has really never been possible in that space before.

Andrew

To respond to the notion that you could buy Connect Pro, Isocorder Pro, a capture card and a pc (monitor, kb and mouse) for less money, I think it's possible someone could do that. You would always expect diy to be cheaper than a turnkey solution. That's why we offer the essential component separately.

But this assumes you get everything right the first time, aren't worried about esthetics, and really think that the effort involved has no value. In a lot of professional settings, broadcasters will take the other route, but there's nothing preventing the more adventurous soul from trying to save some $$ with sweat equity.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

While you can install Connect Pro and IsoCorder Pro on the same system, you cannot run them at the same time, only one or the other. If you need to do both (convert and record), you will need to use two systems. The VMC1 Input Module does both together in one interface.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    To respond to the notion that you could buy Connect Pro, Isocorder Pro, a capture card and a pc (monitor, kb and mouse) for less money, I think it's possible someone could do that. You would always expect diy to be cheaper than a turnkey solution. That's why we offer the essential component separately.

But this assumes you get everything right the first time, aren't worried about esthetics, and really think that the effort involved has no value. In a lot of professional settings, broadcasters will take the other route, but there's nothing preventing the more adventurous soul from trying to save some $$ with sweat equity.
    I would go slightly further than this. With a VMC1 IN you have a 1RU system (not easy to build with a card in it), a fully integrated I/O card, balanced audio (hard to get nicely into a case), Tally (no easy way around this), everything tested, passed FCC , comes with a manual and someone to call when things go wrong and continual updates to help make it all work reliably based on what everyone else is seeing, a reseller (or us) who will help you install it, etc...

Having spent way to much life working on these things, getting 4 channels of 1080p60 to work reliable on any old system ... when you get DPC latency spikes on your system (which cause frame-drops), run our of PCIe bus bandwidth (video tearing), etc... these are very hard problems to work out and then solve and there are loads more that you will then be responsible for. There are definitely people who might be fine living and debugging these issues in which case I would absolutely encourage you to build your own system. For those that want to know they have something that just works then you would probably be better off with a system like this.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post

I understand your underlying theme here, but the saving could be ½ the costs of the production unit.

-------------

I would go slightly further than this. With a VMC1 IN you have a 1RU system (not easy to build with a card in it), a fully integrated I/O card, balanced audio (hard to get nicely into a case), Tally (no easy way around this), everything tested, passed FCC , comes with a manual and someone to call when things go wrong and continual updates to help make it all work reliably based on what everyone else is seeing, a reseller (or us) who will help you install it, etc.

- - - Updated - - -
    ---------------

I think most people here on the forum could build this, I think by its own merit we work in a very technical arena. and as said before the cost saving could be high.... of course you are correct a true pro broadcaster would simply want a drop in solution...
    I understand the package the idea above was using he 'IN' unit as a 4port SDI NDI converter in place of the suggested mini..... replacing both with C/Pro & ISO corder

Dr C you've nailed it the savings might workout but having a product presented to you, as you say with a manual and technical support behind it, tested, spec'd and ready to switch on is the reason for the additional costs, and rightly so. Those support services, whilst appreciated by us users also need funding, the people giving support expect a paycheck each month etc. etc. No doubt a little of it helps funds the R&D that is needed to stay ahead also, so I totally agree.
    the only thing I would say... There are some nice cases out there, some also having pretty blue lights ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

While you can install Connect Pro and IsoCorder Pro on the same system, you cannot run them at the same time, only one or the other. If you need to do both (convert and record), you will need to use two systems. The VMC1 Input Module does both together in one interface.

Well Kane that's really gone and thrown it :-) ....

guys I appreciate the conversation and the bouncing of ideas, to me this and suggestions to help other members here is what the forum is really abt... thanks for indulging me.. like some my delivery might need a little work but it is never my intention to give anyone here a hard time. my questioning is only to continue conversation and ideas and add to my understanding and knowledge of the medium and technology.

regards. A.
    Last edited by AElli; 09-17-2016 at 04:43 AM.

Personally, the time is a key factor.

About a thousand years ago, when cars looked like Fred Flintstone's, I used to do all my own mechanical work. I enjoyed it, and I had the time to figure things out for myself. To be honest, I just couldn't be bothered anymore, too many more important things waiting to be done. I don't have time to do all the research, hunt down compatible bits, assemble, test, and hope for the best. Life is too short. This is not to say some can't do that and enjoy the trip, but one always pays for the ride one way or another.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Oh, I remember those days too.. a set of feeler gauges, a dwell meter and a timing strobe gun were the most advanced tools you would need, but now.....

In fact if I made reference to using feeler gauges on cold dark winter nights on my own in the workshop. today I'd prob. get incarcerated :-)

A.
    Last edited by AElli; 09-17-2016 at 01:01 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123