Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What we like most about NewTek/Lightwave products

What we like most about NewTek/Lightwave products

There has been a lot of comparisons of Lightwave3D to other software on the forums lately. I come from an Autodesk background, and I had to "discover" Lightwave3D. I was aware of the software years ago, but I never got into it because, school was pushing Maya or 3DS Max. I experimented with open source 3D software, but the software was always missing something, and I could never "hit my stride". In addition, their communities were not very encouraging. They either had no support, or poor quality support. While Autodesk support was truly amazing, the way they handled business left a bad taste in my mouth. I hated how they monopolized, and then forced users into SaaS. In addition, while their products are solid and capable, they seem to make things unnecessarily complicated. After the last bit of naughty commerce, I decided to look elsewhere. I picked up Lightwave3D, and couldn't be happier. It is affordable, production proven, capable, and has everything needed to produce 3D work. I'm still getting used to the interface, but already I feel faster and I find it easier to get what I want. I'm looking at some really nice plugins, and Chronosculpt looks like it will make simulations easier.

I hope I am not coming across as a fan boy, but I made this post to explain why I work in this program over others, and I am asking more experienced users: is there anything I might be missing that they enjoy about Lightwave3D?

i like the straight forward approach LightWave gives, it quite quickly reveals what is possible, not possible.

and while other applications are great, it seems i can just smack up things much faster in LightWave.
    especially in Modeler, even with it's limits.

Smack!

Last edited by erikals; 08-27-2016 at 02:45 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

some things..
    like layout feeling like a movie studio stage setup, Not many others have that built in the main UI the way lighwave has...someone once said ..when asked upon why lightwave was their choice for some vfx tools," it got lights, camera etc" duhh...almost every full app has that.

The point is ..You constantly have camera, object, light acess buttons, static..always at the same place, if you were to go with blener or modo list or most any other (if not any other package) you will find yourself in need search for the cam in a list, which can be full with othere stuff, and it will not look the same everytime depending on what you work on...so for me lightwave feels like a proper stage that has the stuff it should have when setting it up in layout, that doesnīt mean they could implement a better scene editor or item list with all items, but I think they should keep that UI philosophy.

I also like the viewport windows, and the huge amount of procedurals there is for lightwave, I also like the surfacing system to some degree (not the applyance) but tweaking and adding layers.
    the displacements is easy to get going with too, and that I like as well, though there is room for improvements.
    the voxel system also my favourite, though it has fallen behind, it was and is easy to work with and get acess to without too much fiddle, it now just need to get more modern and that seems to happen.

fprime and VPR ofcourse, a huge difference, between tweakable friendly options between lightwave 9.6 and the versions that has vpr, it seems lightwave was pretty unique with it all..but that was really catched up by other 3d systems, and many of the others now seem to support better OpenGL support for true realtime renders.

I like the price
    LightWave 2015.3 - Fantasy web comic: http://rustandmagic.se https://www.facebook.com/rustandmagic57/
    "I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar" (Charlie Starr - Blackberry Smoke)

I like layout and speed of dynamics.

I guess this thread the lw group should prescribe on and take notes for a customer resume, though it may not hold up as direct showcase if you were to compare with what a studio say etc, but they could use it for their own formulating when marketing.
    The old, state of the art, out of the box, unprecidented blah blah ..mostly shines through as marketing without any real substance nowadays, especially when it isnīt presented in relation to a specific part, and also considering that most other software uses the same marketing conventions.

yes..pricing is good too, if we exclude comparison to open source software as blender for instance, compared to other commercial tools it is value for money.

Oh yeah, lighwave letīs you create with the speed of light

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Octane !

Quote Originally Posted by THIBAULT View Post
    Octane !
    How is Octane? I've seen some really great post in gallery, could you share some general points? How fast is it for a GPU render?

dude download demo see for yourself.. it is fast.. if you have decent cude gpu .. you are good to go. i did not render anything with native renderer since octane beta..

but lately because of this silence from LW3DG .. i am looking for other options. I am bored really

I am bored really
    impossible!  too many cool things to make!

learn TAFA
    learn Houdini
    learn PhotoScan
    learn Modeling techniques
    learn AHK to optimize workflow

so many cool things to do, LightWave can wait, no rush 

come on erikals... i JUST WANT TO LEARN what is going on!

2 months ago, but after all this time, i don't care that much 
    if this is the marketing we get, this is the marketing we get.

nothing we can do but wait...

movin' along...

i'm Absolutely not saying i agree to the wait-marketing-technique,
    but it is what it is...

nothing more we can do. we tried.
    Last edited by erikals; 08-27-2016 at 02:20 PM.

quite off topic, but thought about posting a thread on this 3D printer from Clas Ohlson,
    available in Sweden of course...

http://www.clasohlson.com/se/FlashFo...kriver/38-7720

supposedly very good (8 out of 10)
    http://www.tek.no/artikler/test-flas...river/350240/2

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    come on erikals... i JUST WANT TO LEARN what is going on!
    What do you think is going on? If you expect Autodesk style community responses, forget it. That takes way too much corporate manpower than NewTek can muster. Besides the current offerings are competitive enough. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    quite off topic, but thought about posting a thread on this 3D printer from Clas Ohlson,
    available in Sweden of course...

http://www.clasohlson.com/se/FlashFo...kriver/38-7720

supposedly very good (8 out of 10)
    http://www.tek.no/artikler/test-flas...river/350240/2
    Oh..I donīt have the clas ohlson story in my community, I have to travel 30 minutes to another commune to look at it physicly and get it if I would want to
    Guess I should wait a year maybe, there is plans on a clas ohlson story in my commune

Thanks for the heads up on it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast