Thread: The Rock Essentials..huge resource of photogrammety scans of rocks, textures, sculpt

The Rock Essentials..huge resource of photogrammety scans of rocks, textures, sculpt

The Rock Essentials..huge resource of photogrammety scans of rocks, textures, sculpt brushes etc...

Some initial thoughts about why it is hard to get realistic rocks by just modeling, then going on to showcase these assets, which were photoscanned and also fine touched up etc, also includes sculpting brushes.
    These were originally made for blender, but it may be of value for other software users as well I think, they do look good, it may be expensive..but it must have taken a long time to make these assets and also requires a good
    skill to optimize it all.

webpage also here...
    https://www.blenderguru.com/product/rock-essentials/

297 usd ..also a lite version with fewer rocks 167 usd and sculpt brushes for 60 usd.

Really cool asset collection. I am very tempted.. However, I don't use Blender... I wonder how much work I would have to do get the textures and brushes to work in a different app.. I suppose the models themselves could just be exported to a different format with few issues... Very tempting as that is a lot of modeling time saved. Hell, the time on converting to a different format alone would be a lot less than making all this stuff.... Very tempting indeed.... Wish I had saved some money on rock sculpting tutorials, then I could have just bought this collection. :-) I will have to look again when I am home and near my credit card... :-)

-Adrian

Blender has a LW object exporter. The brushes should work in any sculpting app, I mean they are just alpha brushes aren't they. You just need to think whether you really really need this, I mean did you need it yesterday when you didn't know about it, or do you need now because you've seen it and it looks good, and it certainly is great value if rocks are your thing.

Don't really need any of it to be honest. All this is mostly an expensive hobby for me (mostly - have done some small contract work).

But given that those assets could build a scene much faster than me hand-sculpting or going out and doing my own photo scanning, it may just be worth it.

Still time saved is time saved - whether in a professional capacity or not. I am not as young, enthusiastic or energetic as I was when I got into this stuff 23 years ago... But I still like to tinker and compose if only for my own benefit. Also, taking these and importing them into 3d coat, converting to voxels and bashing things together presents an instant infinite palette of 3D landscape tools. When you look at it that way, it is almost nonsensical to not get this. There.... I have convinced myself to spend more money when I get home. The 3D market is alive and well.... Thanks to me....

;-)

-Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    Blender has a LW object exporter. The brushes should work in any sculpting app, I mean they are just alpha brushes aren't they. You just need to think whether you really really need this, I mean did you need it yesterday when you didn't know about it, or do you need now because you've seen it and it looks good, and it certainly is great value if rocks are your thing.
    I am not sure, itīs not just standard black and white alpha brushes, think they contain a bit more info in normal direction or height, not sure, there is already a nice one in the zbrush free download libraries, I will try to put a sample up on youtube and how it looks when you use ancored brush mode in blender, that allows for drawing the brush and image as one piece and rotate/scale as you want..itīs pretty nice.

Unfortunatly ..for lightwave these brushes do little good, you could use the new drag texture falloff options, but since that tool can not use any point normal directio..if falls flatt sort of, as opposed to blender which takes all that in account when sculpting.
    So ..use the brushes with sculptris,blender for free or zbrush, mudbox, 3d coat etc.

Totally forgot about this package when I got home yesterday.. So I think the price has increased by 100 dollars... I will check in a second...

But yes, I was thinking about using the brushes in 3D Coat as I do have that..

Yup, missed the boat.. $100 bucks more... I can wait until it goes on sale again.

-Adrian

May still just get the brushes.
    Last edited by ActionBob; 08-11-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Sketchfab also have some interesting stuff, some may be even be allowed for commercial use.
    You can see which ones is downloadabe with the arrow above the harddrive icon, you can also filter to show only downloadable.

Photogrammetry scans are usally dense, I downloaded a Nevada moon rock section, a bit over 3 millions of polys, now...native gemloss reduce poly plus will not maintain textures, but plg simplify does, I tried it and it maintains uv and texture after reducing, so that is helpful for at least rock or natural stuff that just needs some reduced amount of polys without the concern of any specific topo flow.
    Click on download more at the bottom and let it load more and more..
    https://sketchfab.com/search?feature...models&page=14

plg simplify mesh, thereīs both 32 and 64 bit, and it may be best to use 64 for dense meshes.. ..see polygon reduction tool...
    http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

Must add, sketchfab has quite a lot of interesting reference, statues or fossiles, skeletons etc..so itīs good to be able to reduce those and maintain uv and textures.