Thread: Terrain layout/planning: bitmap or vector?

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Question Terrain layout/planning: bitmap or vector?

I'm laying out the rough concept of a small terrain, and using PShop.

1) PS 2015.5.0 doesn't seem to want to put a stroke on concentric closed paths all on the same Path 'layer' (not a Shape layer). Am I just missing something there?

2) In this kind of planning, do people favor using a bitmap editor or a vector editor (eg Illustrator). I like the resolution independence of vectors, but am much (much) faster with bitmaps.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

for terrain, bitmap all the way.

1) sorry, not sure, using an old PhotoShop over here...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I was under the impression it never did, unless you mean the stroke path option in the path layers pallet (which works fine in the latest Mac cc version) but the stroke you generate there is independent of the path and not dynamically fixed to it, If you must do it in Photoshop use vector shapes instead with zero fill and an outer glow attached to it with a size of say three pixels but the range choked down to around 12, it will look pretty much the same as a stoke and remain dynamic and layerable if you want to stack one on top of the other

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

(the forum crash deleted the thumbsup icon for msg titles. Weak.) THUMBSUP

Thanks gerry_g: somehow I was confusing/forgetting about the stroke button (yikes!) in the the Paths panel. Silly me.

EXCELLENT tip about Shape layers and glow, very clever. THANKS!
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

An image to show more properly how the planning is looking initially would help.

Though illustrator is really superior in my meaning if you intend to tweak paths, if you simply want to paint distribution areas ...you may not need the free resolution scaling as a vector program has..it all depends.
    You can use the paint brush tool in illustrator to draw paths add go to effect and use gaussian blur on it..and you will also have to option to edit all that later, or make the stroke non stroke, but add a shadow filter instead.
    May be easier to also make various paths or patterns to save to libraries in Illustrator then simply recall them where needed in the terrain planning.

illustrator/window/appearance ..check that to have the panels open where you can edit the effect on illustrator paths, or delete it.