Thread: Problems Getting Started on Windows

Problems Getting Started on Windows

Hello there,

I have read through your getting started guide and it just doesn’t work as advertised.
    What works
    * showing the test pattern
    * showing the whole desktop
    What does not work is showing the contents of a single application. I have tried
    * Adobe Reader (shows just a black screen, but not the PDF content)
    * Google Chrome (shows just a black screen, but no web content)
    * Microsoft Powerpoint 2016 (shows just a few background colors, not the actual slides, neither in windowed nor in slide show mode)
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks for your support!

Quote Originally Posted by brassel View Post
    What am I doing wrong?
    I'm really not certain, but I do want to reassure you that what you're attempting is possible. I just replicated each of these tests to be sure. What can you tell us about the nature of your test setup? Do some of your tests fail even when you use NDI Monitor on the local system?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Please share the specifications of the computer being used, that would be a good start point to to begin to troubleshoot.

As Steve said, those apps all work fine, I use them myself with NDI on a laptop without issue, running several NDI streams at once in fact.

Thanks

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Please share the specifications of the computer being used, that would be a good start point to to begin to troubleshoot.
    Hi Jeff, hi SBowie,

thanks for trying to help.
    I tried the apps with a DELL Notebook running Windows 10.
    In normal life I am a Mac user, so I need your support with finding more specific information you might need.
    I have made a series of screenshots and I tried to stick to the pattern:
    App I want to see in the video stream is shown in the background, the image of the NDI Video Monitor is in the foreground.
    I have also made pictures of the according pop up menus which might help.

Here are the screen shots:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9l9xv81ytp...20NDI.zip?dl=0

If you need any further info, just let me know.

Thanks for your time
    Bernd

It looks almost all of your applications are UWP/Universal Windows Platform (aka Windows Store) applications. I could be wrong, but I think the sand boxing that Microsoft puts on these application prevents them from having their Windows grabbed before they are composited on the desktop. Which is why they are only visible in desktop mode.

As for Chrome, it has problem with NDI Scan Converter when GPU acceleration is active. If you turn it off, it will work. Otherwise grab it from the desktop or use a different browser like Firefox. In other cases use Win32 applications, like Adobe Reader over Adobe Reader Touch.
    Last edited by kanep; 07-28-2016 at 01:49 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi kanep,

thanks for your helpful answer.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    As for Chrome, it has problem with NDI Scan Converter when GPU acceleration is active. If you turn it off, it will work. Otherwise grab it from the desktop or use a different browser like Firefox. In other cases use Win32 applications, like Adobe Reader over Adobe Reader Touch.
    Turning off hardware acceleration really did the trick and I can see the pages from Chrome now.

However, my real use case is to stream Powerpoint. I have just tested Chrome and Adobe Reader by random to see if anything works at all.

It looks almost all of your applications are UWP/Universal Windows Platform (aka Windows Store) applications. I could be wrong, but I think the sand boxing that Microsoft puts on these application prevents them from having their Windows grabbed before they are composited on the desktop. Which is why they are only visible in desktop mode.
    I have installed Powerpoint from our officially licence of office 365.
    So how can I stream a Powerpoint presentation by NewTek Technology?

Quote Originally Posted by brassel View Post
    I have installed Powerpoint from our officially licence of office 365.
    So how can I stream a Powerpoint presentation by NewTek Technology?
    I'm using PowerPoint 2010 which works fine with NDI Scan Converter. Perhaps try using the 'PowerPoint Viewer' application which is a Win32 app. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=13

Otherwise grabbing the desktop doesn't work? That is I what I usually do anyways, since PowerPoint runs full screen.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

I'm using PowerPoint 2010 which works fine with NDI Scan Converter. Perhaps try using the 'PowerPoint Viewer' application which is a Win32 app. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=13

Otherwise grabbing the desktop doesn't work? That is I what I usually do anyways, since PowerPoint runs full screen.
    Thanks for the hint, capturing the PowerPoint Viewer does work.
    What does not work, however, is capturing that Viewer App (or any other I have tried) in full screen mode.
    As you said yourself, this is the most common use case.
    Any idea what could be done about that?

When PowerPoint opens into full screen mode this appears as a separate window to NDI Scan Converter, so look in the list of NDI sources and you should see a 'PowerPoint.1' that you need to select which is the full screen output.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

When PowerPoint opens into full screen mode this appears as a separate window to NDI Scan Converter, so look in the list of NDI sources and you should see a 'PowerPoint.1' that you need to select which is the full screen output.
    Thanks again, this is working now as well. There was no additional entry in the NDI Scan Converter but because of your hint I found an additional channel in the NDI Monitor.

Last thing, I really hope: what about sending the application's sound?
    I can turn on and off the sound sources in the scan converter but, curiously, this would only transmit the input from my notebook's microphone.
    What I would like to do is transmit the sound of the captured app - the Powerpoint Viewer in this case.

How can I do that?

You need a soundcard with 'audio loopback' support, not all soundcards support this. If you don't have one, you can follow these directions for installing a virtual sound card, it works with NDI Scan Converter just like it works with iVGA Pro.
    http://kanelp7.wixsite.com/kanesworl...audio-loopback
    Last edited by kanep; 08-02-2016 at 09:28 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.