Thread: filling a hard object

filling a hard object

hello, can anyone point me in the right direction on filling an irregular shaped object with other irregularly shaped objects. (like diamonds in a weird shaped box)

thanks

Advanced Placement plugin would be about the best. http://hurleyworks.com/wordpress/
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I'm not going to be much help BUT....::holding flashlight under chin:: ancient users tell us tales of a modeler command, a command ::hoot owl hoots:: that will fill ANY polygon! ::lightning crash:: with ....what was it? Points? Spheres? I disremember. ::banshee cry::

Search the menus/commands for things called "Fill" and variants thereof. It's SUPER obscure, but it came up in the last two years on this forum.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

I guess the objects shouldn intersect eachother? but do they need to rest exactly to eachother, touching etc? another important question...how many objects are we talking about and how dense mesh do they have..and finally how many unique object is there?
    advanced placement will probably be ideal, but it comes at a decent price I guess, you could use bullet otherwise depending on result of the questions I asked to complete the analyze.

If itīs just diamonds, you could create a dummy low res diamond for the initial cage shape, clone or make them several layers and run a bullet simulation, then replace with higher res objects.

i found the fill command, it's just points. i used that and instancing, but it doesn't account for intersecting polygons. i thought of bullet, but seems a little convoluted. i'll try placement plug in.

I add my endorsement to getting Advanced Placement. Methinks that will get you to where you need via the most direct route.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Old school approach using HardFX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqScLmRcXhk
    iemedia solutions:
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel
    Scavengers SciFi novel:
    Amazon UK
    Amazon USA

Quote Originally Posted by pdrake View Post
    i found the fill command, it's just points. i used that and instancing, but it doesn't account for intersecting polygons. i thought of bullet, but seems a little convoluted. i'll try placement plug in.
    You could quantize the points created by fill solid, and make quantize gap the same size as the bounding cage of your diamonds, however, that will yield result of the filled points to go outside of your filling object and you will have diamonds floating without really touching anything.

Advanced placement? well..if you can afford it..seems very expensive, but if you can afford it and it works well for your other planned stuff? then yes.
    Otherwise just use bullet... I do not see why it should be convoluted? itīs like everything else..need to know the basics,if you clone your diamonds with whatever tool suitable in modeler ..perhaps particle clone, use that in one layer, delete the point used to clone the diamonds, you donīt want that to interfere, then have your fill object, cup or whatever in another layer, save it and send to layout, make the fill object layer static, make the other diamond layer parts object, set shape to convex pieces for faster dynamics, you may need to raise collision margin depending on size of the objects, then just click play and let all fall down in the cup or whatever object you got, you will probably get the pieces going through the fill object, so set mass distribution to vertices, that should help...or use shape mode mesh..but it will be slower to calculate.

Now..do not try and mess around with instances and bullet, they are incompatible as far as to getting exact collisions..It is more appropiate to use particles with instances and the old fx system, but then you will ha a much harder time getting physicly correct interaction.
    the pieces "diamonds" you use with bullet should be either unconnected segments ..diamonds in one layer, and then use parts mode for that, if you on the other hand have several objects or several layers per diamond, you would go for rigid body.

I think you may be able to use bullet and some dummy ojects, then replace that with instances that sort of matches the simulated dummy object, that is what I suspect though I havenīt really tried that, I think brian phillips (bryphi77) may have something on youtube and nodes for that, but I think you will be entering more advanced stuff with that.which may in fact be perceived as convoluted, depending on who you are...

https://www.youtube.com/user/bryphi77/videos

thanks, i did quantize the points and the other things you said. i just deleted the objects outside my boundry.

Good.

Hereīs an attached scenefile setup ..just a simple mockup, you would need much more pieces though, change to whatever you want for the object pieces or the fill object, and itīs quite just basics, but you will see the simple setup and effect and settings for that, if it may help?

PROMETHEUS JUMPGATE TO LIGHTWAVE FORUM SECTIONS..
    http://michaeli65.wix.com/prometheus
    Attached Files Attached Files

oh, and work can afford it. i'm designing a bar that will sell for 5 figures, so if it takes a couple hundred dollars to help sell . . .