Thread: Star Trek Discovery Trailer

Star Trek Discovery Trailer

Nice cg teaser for the next star trek series

https://youtu.be/bqm9HSYbf0o

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    "This video is not available"
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Bah! Damn region locking youtube!

It looks like the original design for what turned into STAR TREK The Motion Picture. Ralph McQuary (sic?) simplified triangle for the ship, IMHO the WORST single design of a starship that the execs have approved.

This does not look good for me to give them $10/month for CBS Access.
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP
    "Frak'em all! I USE LIGHTWAVE!"

I didn't like the original RM design all that much but the treatment they gave the version in that trailer looked rather cool IMNSDHO. The ship is only one ingredient in a good recipe, of course, but I'm cool here. Mind you, I wasn't a fan of the TNG version either, but it grew on me.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Looks like a work in progress CGI ship. Fine with the design though.
    Alex Hunter
    Editor and 2D/3D Motion Designer

Showreel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2JB8hmJLTE

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic Shapes View Post
    Looks like a work in progress CGI ship. Fine with the design though.
    I fully expect it's exactly that: a low resolution test render they shared because why not? The modeling looks pretty solid to me.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Bad ship design. Just putting some of the old designs randomly together could look better then this.

I'm fine with the ship configuration overall, but it needs a LOT of fine tuning on the details/texturing and the rendering is just sub 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ritchie View Post
    ... the rendering is just sub 20 years ago.
    Yeah, it looks like a cut scene from an old video game. I wonder how long ago that was actually made? I wonder whether it could be something from the vaults they resurrected to save time when they decided to leak the design.

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Until the logo at the end, I thought the clip was fan-made. (Actually that's not fair, because a lot of fan-made stuff is exceptional.)

The design of the ship is ugly. It doesn't fit any existing federation ship design. I know it's in vogue to raid Ralph McQuarries original sketches from decades past, but this is not a 'star trek' look. I'm not sure about the time periods, or when he did this work, but it looks like after the trek show this was done for was canned, and Lucas contacted him, asking for a big spaceship, McQuarrie just scrubbed out the saucer section, and said: "Here's a star destroyer".

And in the spirit of that scene in deadpool where he first meets his buddy at the bar and reveals his face: "That ship looks like a klingon cruiser has it head stuck up a federation ship's a**"

I have read that it is test footage. The lighting, animation, texturing/rendering all appear to be on a par with the early days of Babylon 5.
    That footage should have stayed 'in-house'. First impressions and all that...

I like the overall shape. It's big and imposing.
    There are several existing starship designs that use the triangular configuration, and let's face it, it's a saucer, a hull, and some nacelles.
    The deflector looks nice integrated, not sticking out like some of the other "modern" ships. The connecting area between the saucer and hull looks nice, sharp and sturdy. For some reason the portals appear to be sticking out instead of recessed.
    I don't like the saucer at all. The grill ring looks superfluous. The saucer is too thick and clunky. It dosn't have to be Enterprise J, but...
    I'd like to see something other than perfectly round. TNG's saucer was a little absurdly squashed, and some other ships were too triangular. There are lots of awesome starship designes out there to look at.
    The nacelles are ok, but would rather see them in leaning toward the new style deep dish configuration from the reboot movies and less of the TNG look.
    The back end of the thing is kind of (extremely) ugly. Way too many superfluous details. Why not just taper off aerodynamically at the back and get rid of all that? Modern ships fly through atmosphere after all.

I thought it looked like some hybrid Federation / Klingon / Romulan mashup. Wouldn't be Trek, but would be an interesting political intrigue / backstabbing going on if all three factions were assigned to the same ship. Would probably turn into "this week's mutiny" that plagued the later episodes of Battlestar, but a guy can dream.

Full disclosure: I consider the Jefferies Klingon D7 ship design to be the gold standard for all fictional space ships, ever. I have my own original Trek ship design that dates all the way back to my CadKey days as an undergrad, and I implemented it in Rhino many years ago and have a semi completed LW version. It has, in several respects, some similarities both to the Voyager design (non circular saucer blended into the main hull assembly) and the RM Discovery approach. I thoroughly approve of that blend and so IMNSDHO that makes the design more powerful.

At some fun point in the future I'll work up a CGI segment of my own design prancing through the screen, casting nebula junk aside and looking kick ***.

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis