Thread: LW 7.5c crashes -- forces reboot

LW 7.5c crashes -- forces reboot

I'm using LW 7.5c on Windows XP Pro with a Geforce 4 Ti 4600 video card. I'm having issues with Lightwave crashing due a scene-clearing bug. More info here.

But I digress, that isn't the purpose of this query. But when the crashes do happen, most of the time modeler refuses to start back up again! I click on it, it loads up and then...immediately exits back to the desktop. Layout will continue to work fine. Even if I close out the hub and reopen everything, it still exhibits this behavior. The only way I can figure out how to get around it is to reboot my entire system.

Which is annoying once I've got my work environment set up and then I must tear it all down and reboot just to get LW to work again.

Anyone else having this problem? And if so, know a way around it? Is there something else I need to do to get LW working, without rebooting?

Nobody has a clue? I down-revved my Detonator drivers to 43.xx due to some issues with the latest ForceWare drivers. (Not related to LW, but to another OpenGL program.)

I switch scenes a lot doing game character modeling, and LW usually crashes out on me pretty regularly whenever I clear the scene or load another. I'm getting really discouraged.

Not trying to sound to basic here but have you loaded any new programs recently??

(Long shot) I had a problem with 3dMAX and Corel draw, if i installed Coral drawer after max, then max would go crazy (intermitantly)...but if i installed them the other way round everything was ok!

Has this always been a problem?

If not when did it start?

Hi FenrirWolf,

I had the same problem with Layout quitting when clearing a scene under 7.5c and just gave up and went back to 7.5b. It only happens once in a while now, as opposed to every time.
    Remember! - It isn't the fall that hurts, but the sudden stop at the bottom!

Same here.

7.5c is relatively unstable.

Wing, the only change I had made was to upgrade to 7.5c.

Thanks Stewpot, I'm down-revving Lightwave to 7.5b now... I'll try it out and let folks know how it goes!

Well, I don't know what the web update did, but my entire Lightwave directory is now gone...including my license files for Lightwave and all my plugins, and the plugins themselves are gone...

*sigh*

Hi FenrirWolf,

Did you use the LW installer to remove 7.5c?

LW uninstaller has a habit of doing that.
    Remember! - It isn't the fall that hurts, but the sudden stop at the bottom!

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. I didn't realize it would remove the entire Lightwave directory. Ack!

Well, I've re-installed LW from CD and then applied the 7.5b patch, so at least its working now. I've just got to re-install my plugins, and re-license the ones that I had bought. Fortunately, I have all of that saved in a seperate directory.

Sorry for coming in so late on this. I had
    problems with LW7.5c, as well, crashing on my
    5200 card...

The "issue" turned out to be the AGP aperature size. 32MB and 128MB works. 64, 256, 512, and
    1GB cause LW to crash. Of course, I have 256MB on the card. Go figure.

My guess is a BIOS and/or card problem is
    setting up and mapping the AGP memory range properly (different settings also cause the OS to
    puke/reboot, games not to run, etc., so its not just LW).

Anyhow, might be a little late to experiment if you've already down-reved, but it might be
    something to keep in mind when 8.0 ships, if it starts crashing on you.
    -B

Riplakish, that's cool -- it's something I can try to fix!

My aperature is set to 256MB, though I only have a 128M AGP card. (I've heard weird things about setting your aperature size to equal your system RAM, or twice your video card. I'm using the twice-rule for my setup.)

I could try backing it down to 128M and see if that helps, but likely I won't bother unless LW8 has the same issue. Currently, 7.5b is stable I have far less crashes with it.

Thanks, everybody, for the insight. I'm not longer discouraged!