Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE: Games of Chance - DEADLINE May 1, 2016

SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE: Games of Chance - DEADLINE May 1, 2016

Challenge: Games of Chance
    DEADLINE: 8AM Colorado time, May 1st, 2016

This challenge is to model Games of Chance. Here's the Wikipedia article for some ideas:

So, dice, spinning tops, playing cards ( yawn ), roulette wheels, slot machines, pachinko, etc.. Any game where a large degree of chance is involved with the game.

Time Limit: 120 minutes, not including planning, sketching, prototypes, texturing or render setup.

PLANNING TIME is free! So you can strategize how to get what you want before you start the clock. Also, you don't have to work in one block, feel free to break your time up as needed, but do keep track.

RENDER and Post Work: There is no time limit on surfacing and rendering. However, more points are awarded if your final render displays the model in a scene rather than just a textured render of the model. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!

PARTICIPATION: Participation is COMPLETELY voluntary, so please let's not try to coerce others into expending their valuable time. I will judge as many (or few) entries submitted by the deadline, and don't plan to extend the deadline. If you want to participate, HAVE FUN and don't feel any pressure!

Rules:
    1. Every challenge specifies a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time modeling. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
    2. Post a wireframe and final render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread. Note: Some challenges will include final render instructions and time limit restrictions as well. This is up to the judge creating the challenge.
    3. Only LightWave is to be used for modeling. However, 3rd party Plugins are allowed.
    4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time limit, we encourage you to submit the model, but it won't be subject to the judging.
    5. Time spent on texturing (including UV Mapping), setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
    6. Although, not required, it is always nice if the artist provides information on how the model was created, what plugins were used and any special techniques used.
    7. The following criteria is used to award points. Modeling is looking for good poly flow. The better it is, the more points awarded. Creativity is how you interpreted the specifications of the challenge and applied them in way not necessarily expected. Expression is how you used the model in the final render/scene that supports the creativity aspect of your submission. Render refers to how well the model, creativity and expression were conveyed.

Criteria Points
    Modeling 0 to 5 (clean poly flow, good joints, minimum polys / edges for model)
    Creativity 0 to 5 (model a boring real-life thing = 0, cool real-life thing = 3, bizarre and unique and individual item = 5)
    Expression 0 to 5 (how you used the model in the final render/scene that supports the creativity aspect of your submission)
    Render 0 to 5 (composition, texturing, content, framing, lighting, perspective of final render)

See unstable's excellent post on "Expression":

PRIZE: Winner gets to set the terms of the NEXT Speed Modeling Challenge!

JUDGE: ME!

My family always called this game "Skittles", but it turns out Skittles has variations all over the world, so this is called Topatel or American Skittles. We used to have tournaments at Christmas time when the family was all in town. What fun!

Right at 2:00 for the table / board, extra for the top, pins, string, texturing, etc.

mTp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SkittlesBoard.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	133487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SkittlesBoard_Wires.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	261.3 KB 
ID:	133488

Name:	Skittles_PinStringTop.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	133491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skittles_PinStringTop_Wires.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	133492

Name:	SkittlesBoard_SetUpToPlay.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	226.9 KB 
ID:	133489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SkittlesBoard_AfterTheGame.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	133490

Nicely done! Looks like fun. I have an entry that bombed at 1 hr. I'll either try to fix it or submit what i have to show what not to do.

Thanks! Yes, it is fun. Amazing how much attention goes into precision winding of the top and accuracy of the pulling style! It does make a difference.

Again, I'm a little embarrased at the time it took me to do a "fairly simple" object in subpatches. With subpatch modeling, I find I can make a simple mistake (in initial polyflow design or imprecise application of the tools) and not realize it until later when it seriously debilitates some extension / change I need to make. Then I get to try to fix it, redo it from scratch, or hope the undo buffer is deep enough!

mTp

How about a game of chicken? Would that be considered a game of chance?

Name:	car wires.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	133533Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render_1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	310.3 KB 
ID:	133534

I guess considering equipment failure or environmental influence (e.g. sun suddenly in one driver's eyes or something running onto the road), there's some element of chance, so OK. Mostly, the outcome is a direct result of the specific decisions of the (in my opinion, idiot) players. Definitely not my kind of game. It was interesting reading the Wikipedia article, so thanks for the submission.

Nice little vehicle. How long did the modeling take?

mTp

It didn't take long at all. Maybe 15 minutes to model the car and an wheels and mirror it over. I'm sure I'll get a better game of chance type submission before the challenge ends.

OK, no pressure. There's some chance you'll win with the car! I still think you should've won the railway competition. Nice models there! Both the hand cart and crossing signal were very well done.

mTp

6-sided die and dice cup. Blew the 2-hour limit by about 10 minutes trying to round the tip corners more.

Name:	Die_6Sided_1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	133544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Die_6Sided_Wires_1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	248.5 KB 
ID:	133543

Name:	DiceCup_1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	133542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DiceCup_Wires_1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	133541

Yahtzee, anyone? So close, and yet so far...

Name:	Yahtzee_2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	415.3 KB 
ID:	133546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yahtzee_2_Wires.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	133545

mTp

Modeled the wheel in an hour. Then had to correct my mistakes, which took another hour. So what I show I modeled in 2 hours. Note, the wood surrounding the wheel where the ball would roll is missing and looked so empty without it is why I ended up doing the composition with Vegas. I guess it all worked out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheel_wire.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	459.1 KB 
ID:	133548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vegas_comp.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	887.0 KB 
ID:	133547  

How did you surface the cone between the center hub and pockets?
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Excellent! The surfacing is very realistic, the wires very clean. The composite with the Vegas photo works really well.

If you get a chance to post a rendering at the same image resolution as the wires, that'd be great. I always like to flip back and forth to watch particular spots and see how the rendering represents the wires (and vice versa), which is really easy if the "Next" and "First" buttons on the previewer appear in the same location. No big issue if you don't get a chance.

Very well done!

mTp

spherical, the piece I believe you are talking about is the same material used on the center hub with a different alpha. Someone awhile back (I think it was XswampyX) shared a gold material node setup with scratches. That is what I used on the hub with very little change. I think I reduced the depth of the scratches is all. Then for the disc between the hub and pockets I found an image on the Internet of circular steel. I changed that to a gray scale and used it instead of the scratches alpha. I did some adjustments to center it and the amount so it had the circular grooves in the disc/cone. So I want offer a big Thank YOU to XswampyX for sharing that original gold material setup.

mTp, thanks for the kind words. I attached the original render. I don't know if that's what you were asking for or not. Take care.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render_color_3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	993.8 KB 
ID:	133550  

Quote Originally Posted by unstable View Post
    mTp, thanks for the kind words. I attached the original render. I don't know if that's what you were asking for or not. Take care.
    Good enough. Thanks! Again, nice job!

mTp

Quote Originally Posted by unstable View Post
    spherical, the piece I believe you are talking about is the same material used on the center hub with a different alpha. Someone awhile back (I think it was XswampyX) shared a gold material node setup with scratches. That is what I used on the hub with very little change. I think I reduced the depth of the scratches is all. Then for the disc between the hub and pockets I found an image on the Internet of circular steel. I changed that to a gray scale and used it instead of the scratches alpha. I did some adjustments to center it and the amount so it had the circular grooves in the disc/cone.
    Ok, thanks. Guess I'll go the alpha image route, as the procedurals I've worked on only go so far. I'll search for XswampyX's set up, as I was going to ask about the hub, too.This looks to be it:
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1391640
    Thanks for the pointer.
    Last edited by spherical; 04-24-2016 at 05:59 PM.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast