Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Nuke vs After Effects using .exr files

  1. #1

    Nuke vs After Effects using .exr files

    http://www.schoolofmotion.com/nuke-vs-ae-compositing/

    In the beginning of the video in After Effects, the artist is using Extractor to split out a 32bit .exr file into multi-pass render.
    Has anyone done this with Lightwave output of .exr file?

  2. #2
    Big fan of coffee raw-m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,333
    Hopefully, some tips here (read the description for links):
    https://youtu.be/C5QiOT84OHE

  3. #3
    Hey Mark, do you use EXRTrader, or any of the other db&w product like shaderMeister a lot for your work?

  4. #4
    Hmmmmm.
    So Lightwave does not have a multi-layered openexr format?
    You have to make a third party purchase???

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    desktop
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Julez4001 View Post
    Hmmmmm.
    So Lightwave does not have a multi-layered openexr format?
    You have to make a third party purchase???
    It does since lw 11 with compositing buffer export. Pretty straightforward to use in ae, fusion.

  6. #6
    Curmudgeon in Training Ma3rk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Near Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    1,259
    Jennifer H. goes into a pretty decent look at EXRTrader here4:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97P1WaiZdTk

  7. #7
    Yes I know lightwave has compositing options but I wanted to know if it natively had the functionality of how openexr was being used in the video above.
    One file - multiple layers
    again, natively in Lightwave

    I find it strange since so many other apps have feature built-in as a common workflow in film and tv.

  8. #8
    Big fan of coffee raw-m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,333
    Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    Hey Mark, do you use EXRTrader, or any of the other db&w product like shaderMeister a lot for your work?
    Hi djwaterman. Just found a workflow I'm really comfortable with using exrTrader and how I use them in AE, especially since you really need to be working in Linear Colour Space in AE for a few of the buffers to sing - AE is horrible in Linear Colour Space, so I don't! It's priceless for pushing a few buffers without having to re-render. That's all I currently use for getting renders out of LW. ShaderMeister is on my something-to-research list, especially if it can help with amb occ passes. Really wish LW had some kind of "take" system, but we're veering off topic....

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    desktop
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Julez4001 View Post
    Yes I know lightwave has compositing options but I wanted to know if it natively had the functionality of how openexr was being used in the video above.
    One file - multiple layers
    again, natively in Lightwave

    I find it strange since so many other apps have feature built-in as a common workflow in film and tv.
    Yes it does support it natively.

  10. #10
    So one can export openexr with multi layers as the video is showing done with Cinema4D into one file sequence.

    I can save openexr but no multi-channel (reflection, diffuse, raw rgb pass, etc). How does one set it up to save the channels you wish?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •