Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MORE Dynamics Troubles

At some point it just makes more sense for the devs to move on. I'm afraid that LW2015 will receive 0 more service packs. I'm okay with that as long as new architecture allows for faster development, fixes and feature advances.

Though I kind of agree with your points John, how many serious users of Lightwave will remain on 2015? I might be totally wrong, but I'd imagine that anyone who isn't doing 3d as a core activity would be unlikely to use bullet to its fullest degree. No guarentees with that of course, but the amount of people affected would probably be small. Not that it makes the problem you highlight go away, but from a business point of view (LW3DGs) the amount of resources required to fix it for a small amount of people would be out of balance. When you say forever... it's the idea that in 5... 10... 15...?? years time, people will still be using 2015.3... but if they stopped there, then perhaps they are looking elsewhere or their artistic direction is changing. I'm far from a rich man, but the upgrade price continues to be very affordable imho, so if you still have an interest in producing 3d stuff, then the upgrade price isn't a massive one to save up for.

Of course, if enough people... who feel that they don't want to upgrade, but feel very likely to push bullet to this breaking point make enough noise, then maybe it'll happen. Anyways, I'm just playing devils advocate.

Like I say, I'm not disagreeing, just saying that the cost versus users affected might make it a very unlikely fix... and I'd actually understand why it wouldn't be at this point (with the new version coming out).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptive View Post
    Though I kind of agree with your points John, how many serious users of Lightwave will remain on 2015?
    Two important things to remember about LW 2016:

• New render engine, no legacy surfacing/rendering support (or related plugins), need to use older version to render legacy scenes.

• New infrastructure engines (renderer & UGE, perhaps others), thus potentially significant infrastructure (read as: app-wide) stability issues.

I see ample basis for belief that LW 2015 will continue to be used by customers for quite some time, and that many customers may be slow at migrating to LW 2016 for day-to-day usage.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Two important things to remember about LW 2016:

• New render engine, no legacy surfacing/rendering support (or related plugins), need to use older version to render legacy scenes.

• New infrastructure engines (renderer & UGE, perhaps others), thus potentially significant infrastructure (read as: app-wide) stability issues.

I see ample basis for belief that LW 2015 will continue to be used by customers for quite some time, and that many customers may be slow at migrating to LW 2016 for day-to-day usage.
    Fair points. It'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

Those are fair points, John. I still use 11.6.3 once in awhile, when I experience issues with 2015.3. I might wait awhile to upgrade to 2016, until most major issues are resolved, as with 2015 -- unless there's a beta program of some kind, which I would be happy to participate in ... after my dynamics nightmare over the past few weeks, I'm a bit shy about paying for another beta app.

Having said that, I'm still exploring Blender for physics, and the learning curve is an odd, long, and winding road ... but it is clear that Blender' physics are all 64-bit, and multi-threaded, which is a HUGE performance boost over LW. Plus, the physics really do seem "more realistic," which may simply be a better set of defaults, or possibly a newer Bullet implementation, I don't know yet. Of course, in order to benefit from this, one must deal with Blender's interface. And then there's Blender's renderer ... oh my.

It's always something ...

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStrik9 View Post
    Yup. 2.15 GB.

I also wonder if the scene-destroying thing that's been plaguing me is a separate problem, not necessarily directly associated with the dynacache file size limit ... so I need to be prepared to have additional issues, even after this particular bug is squished.

I went ahead and quoted you, adding your text to my earlier bug report. I think LW3DG needs all the help they can get ...

--

I just got an email back:

"Issue LWB-2034 has been marked as CLOSED.
    There is indeed a 2GB or so limit on the dynacache file size. It's because it is a 32bit IFF format.
    This is fixed in LW2016 where the dynacache format is 64bit."

Holy cow.
    My Lightwave is 2015.3
    Where can I download this LW2016 you speak of?
    More to the point, objects *I* modeled, *I* textured, and *I* rendered in prior versions of Lightwave (64 bit) are not loading now. The current object is barely 1 meg in size. There is no simulation of any kind. It is just an object (and textures from photoshop). IT throws this same error.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Quote Originally Posted by Verlon View Post
    My Lightwave is 2015.3
    Where can I download this LW2016 you speak of?
    More to the point, objects *I* modeled, *I* textured, and *I* rendered in prior versions of Lightwave (64 bit) are not loading now. The current object is barely 1 meg in size. There is no simulation of any kind. It is just an object (and textures from photoshop). IT throws this same error.
    This is an old thread. My last post was from early 2016. But until the next LW update, the thread remains somewhat relevant. I'm pretty sure "Lightwave 2016" became "Lightwave NEXT," which is still "in development," with very little news from NewTek on its progress and/or release for quite awhile now. I'm just waiting, fooling around with Blender, and hoping this isn't the end of Lightwave. Only time will tell.

As far as I know, the LW object format has not changed for many years. ALL my old LW objects still load, from LW 5.6 through 2015.3. I suspect you may have some kind of data or disc error on those objects that won't load. Hopefully you have a decent backup prior to what might be corruption. Good luck!

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    "Dynacache", not LWO. And LWG itself confirmed the limitation.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

(deleted, just realized it was a necrothread)
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

It is not about the 2GB limit. Got the same problem with a 130kb file. Just export the model in OBJ format from Modeler and Layout will open it, no size limits.
    If your model is NURBS, just subdivide 2 times (faceted + metaform) before exporting.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234