Thread: Reverse of "Select Outline"?

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Question Reverse of "Select Outline"?

Is there a Selection function that is essentially the reverse of "Select Outline"? I realize that for any closed outline there's (at least) two solutions, but being able to quickly select either ( +/- ) would be adequate.

That is:
    User selects closed outline;
    Button selects all polys within that outline (or the inverse)
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Uhhm..been testing, unfortunatly couldnīt find any, might come in handy, unless anyone comes up with something, make a request perhaps.

not solving issue for lightwave, just checking wings selection options, if you select a polygon area, theres no such thing as select outline and having it select points I think, you can however select edge loop and it will select edges based around the outline of the polygons..almost like select outline in lightwave except it select edges, then you can use select edge to regio, it then switches to polygon selection within that outline region before...so the result is there the same as you would want in lightwave selections.

that may be totally out of interest for you? did you get wings to work by the way ? or are you busy with chronosculpt?

Been wanting something like this too, or something like, "Fill selections", it's probably not easy though the logic of defining what is an island or not.

Cheers

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I suspect not (easy), but if one just can toggle quickly between inside & outside might be a lot easier to program.

And that's not the same as simple Inverse Selection, because in both cases you want the selected polys to be included.

are we talking about something like this, or something entirely else?
    http://artssphere.com/plugins/fillselection.php

Hey Art,

Glad I ran into ya. Side issue here....
    If you weren't already aware.... just a heads up that Bez Bridge seems to be broken for MAC (won't load since LW 11).
    Is there any chance that it's on your radar somewhere for a little TLC?
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by art View Post
    are we talking about something like this, or something entirely else?
    http://artssphere.com/plugins/fillselection.php
    You Are The MAN!

I always had to rely on other people's help with compiling for mac as I have no means doing that myself. I'll see what I can do. Also, if someone here could point me to some resources describing how to do that without having an actual mac computer that would be great too I'm not sure if that's even possible/feasible.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Prom, I have very limited patience for testing s/w other than LW: I find enough bugs as it is.

(Mentioned LW to the Seattle AE meeting last night, the friendly fellow said "Whoa, you might not want to mention Lightwave if you're trying to shake that dinosaur image.....". Ouch!)

(BTW, the AE meetings, notwithstanding, are extremely informative: if any forum readers live in Seattle, I recommend them. Also, raffles! I won Mocha!)

Quote Originally Posted by art View Post
    I always had to rely on other people's help with compiling for mac as I have no means doing that myself. I'll see what I can do. Also, if someone here could point me to some resources describing how to do that without having an actual mac computer that would be great too I'm not sure if that's even possible/feasible.
    Thanks for taking a look Art!
    (Showing my complete lack of understanding of what goes on behind the curtain...)
    Is this something that has to be compiled into a .plugin or can it go to ls/lsc? .... I could put up a request in the Developers forum sections?
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Prom, I have very limited patience for testing s/w other than LW: I find enough bugs as it is.

(Mentioned LW to the Seattle AE meeting last night, the friendly fellow said "Whoa, you might not want to mention Lightwave if you're trying to shake that dinosaur image.....". Ouch!)

(BTW, the AE meetings, notwithstanding, are extremely informative: if any forum readers live in Seattle, I recommend them. Also, raffles! I won Mocha!)
    I understand that completly, it takes time testing other software, so no patience there...I might record that type of selection and put it on youtube..just to show anyway that the selection process can be found to work in another modeling environment..and to define how it may be supposed to work similar in lw selections.

hereīs wings3d way of doing it, it will not select by current mode typ etc, you probably would want it to select outline withing the mode you are working on..points for instance, and when switching to outline region it would select points within that outline.

in wings I have polys selection, go to select outline and it auto selects in edge mode, then select edge region and it auto selects polys back within that edge region...

The only way I know of, simply use cycle (spacebar) to go to polymode, then select convert to points, that will give you the inside of the outlined points also in point mode.