Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: :D SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE: "LIGHT ME UP" - Deadline=11/22:

:D SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE: "LIGHT ME UP" - Deadline=11/22:

Rules:
    1. Every challenge specifies a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time modeling. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
    2. Post a wireframe and final render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread. Note: Some challenges will include final render instructions and time limit restrictions as well. This is up to the judge creating the challenge.
    3. Only LightWave is to be used for modeling. However, 3rd party Plugins are allowed.
    4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time limit, we encourage you to submit the model, but it won't be subject to the judging.
    5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
    6. Although, not required, it is always nice if the artist provides information on how the model was created, what plugins were used and any special techniques used.
    7. The following criteria is used to award points. Modeling is looking for good poly flow. The better it is, the more points awarded. Creativity is how you interpreted the specifications of the challenge and applied them in way not necessarily expected. Expression is how you used the model in the final render/scene that supports the creativity aspect of your submission. Render refers to how well the model, creativity and expression were conveyed.

Criteria Points
    Modeling 0 to 5
    Creativity 0 to 5
    Expression 0 to
    Render 0 to 5

Challenge: LIGHT ME UP
    You must model a light of any kind. Street light, night light, electric light, candle light, neon light, etc.

TIME LIMIT: You must complete all geometrical/mesh construction in 120 minutes! We're on the honor system here people.

PRIZE: Winner gets to set the terms of the NEXT Speed Modeling Challenge!

JUDGE: ME!

PLANNING TIME is free! So you can strategize how to get what you want before you start the clock. Also, you don't have to work in one block, feel free to break your time up as needed, but do keep track.

RENDER and Post Work: There is no time limit on surfacing and rendering. However, more points are awarded if your ‘final’ render displays the model in a scene rather than just a textured render of the model. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!

Attached is a PDF of the challenge criteria. I would like to see a lot of participants even if they aren't able to meet the time limit. Give it your best shot, maybe you don't meet the criteria but you still inspire someone else's idea. How great is that?!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Not sure I'll get time to finish or surface this, but i thought I'd post it anyway, to get the ball rolling. I1hr45, but still lots to do...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PAR64wires.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	549.8 KB 
ID:	130951  
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Wow. Just wow.

mTp

Ta. It really wasn't that difficult. Just lots of extending edges and thicken, based on half a sphere for the back and a disc for the front. Still missing, colour frame, wiring set, lamp, hook clamp, safety chain...
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    Not sure I'll get time to finish or surface this, but i thought I'd post it anyway, to get the ball rolling. I1hr45, but still lots to do...
    Just a quick comment, the top bracket/ear on the front should be swivelable in order for gel frames & scrims to be inserted.

Not on the old style Thomas parcans, you had to bend the frame to fit it.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Finally had a little time, was able to make something real quick.

Modeling time was only ~an hour. Nothing too special, just basic beveling, extruding, spin quad. Relies heavily on the textures unfortunately, but I had fun!
    Also rendered in octane, could have let it cook longer to get rid of the hot pixels but I gotta go to bed now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rendermodelchallenge.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	130983

Name:	wireframe.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	343.4 KB 
ID:	130984

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    Not on the old style Thomas parcans, you had to bend the frame to fit it.
    Really! No wonder I've never seen one in TinselTown.

We are talking a while back...
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

There is some amazing detail in it ... like it very much!

Just for curiosity ... do you measure your time in earth-hours?

Don't take this as doubt but as a compliment ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by squarewulf View Post
    Finally had a little time, was able to make something real quick.

Modeling time was only ~an hour. Nothing too special, just basic beveling, extruding, spin quad. Relies heavily on the textures unfortunately, but I had fun!
    Also rendered in octane, could have let it cook longer to get rid of the hot pixels but I gotta go to bed now.

Name:	rendermodelchallenge.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	130983

Name:	wireframe.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	343.4 KB 
ID:	130984

Just a reminder guys that there is still time. (and to bump it back up) Where are all those that had wanted these challenges to take place again???? We've got a couple of very good entries right now, but I know there are plenty of you wanting to show your stuff. So please, submit!!

Hoping to get an entry in tomorrow.

Name:	Batlight.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	369.5 KB 
ID:	131088

Name:	wires.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	131089

Here's my entry. Quit after 2 hours, left several parts off due to time.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 11-18-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Ello,

I thought I'd do something, though I kept it boring as to make it useful in the future (maybe)

I've included the files too, so anyone is welcome to grab them and use it if it's useful. Not that it's really great lol. I only spent an hour messing about, but hey!

Name:	image0000_043.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	473.9 KB 
ID:	131091 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0000_044.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	131092

Ikea Lamp Scene.rar

I modeled a pair of Oyule lamps (check them out here). The main portion of the modeling took about an hour, with 30 or so minutes spent going back and tweaking things in between renders. Surfacing and setting up the scene took 2-3 hours total. I rendered the image along with a depth buffer to add the DoF effect in Photoshop. I also added the flames in post.

Name:	bulb_final.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	862.2 KB 
ID:	131105

Name:	final_wires.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	762.9 KB 
ID:	131106

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast