Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DataLink Timer web app

Thanks, I'm glad my apps have been useful!

I've started upgrading the app for a count up, but then I got side tracked and don't know when I'll get around to finishing it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Timer.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	134375

I wouldn't hold you breath on a second counter. Not saying it couldn't be done, it certainly could, but so far that isn't something I was looking to add. I create these apps in my spare time when I fell like working on them, work on them occurs in bursts, then they sit for a while. One thing I've been looking to do is check them all working against AE2, I think for the most part they all still work fine, but there are a few little quirks here and there with some of the older apps with AE2. I've also thought about upgrading some of them to use websockets for communication (instead of HTTP), but then they will only work with AE2 and later. Then I need to see how the apps will react when talking to a IP Series VMC1 (which I don't have yet).

So many ideas, so little time...
    Last edited by kanep; 09-07-2016 at 10:21 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Dear Kane,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I appreciate your work once again for the community and hope you can finish it soon. Good Luck!!!!

This timer is incredible! We just got the Tricaster TC1 and were disappointed to find there is no timer we can start when we start a show with a button press and not try to set a clock. Our 15 year old Ross switcher we just retired had a countdown clock.
    We use the clock in our multiviewer and send a video signal through our teleprompter feed so the talent can see how much time is left in the show. Without a countdown clock we resort to kitchen timers and verbal cues from studio control to the floor director. A countdown clock with large numbers is preferable so everyone in the control room and everyone in the studio knows where we are in the show.

If there was a way to create a macro to set show time to add x time after a button is pressed to the Tricaster End time we could use that but the time on that clock is still too small for the talent to see when displayed through the teleprompter.

This timer plugin to the rescue! Thanks for making it.

I'm able to start and stop from a webpage but cannot get the clock to start from a key coming online. We are using key 1 on ME 2. I see the clock come up in program on ME 2 but it doesn't start. We are using a TC1.

Quote Originally Posted by cpt12Tech View Post
    Our 15 year old Ross switcher we just retired had a countdown clock.
    Just to mention it, TC does have a countdown clock, which allows you to set both Start and End times for a program, and the clocks can be assigned to the viewport in a multiview.

It has been requested from time to time that we give these timers the ability to trigger macros. I'd be interested to hear whether you'd need anything more than this for your specific need.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I can give 3 examples where having timers are really needed.

Soccer (both counting up and down)

Game Show style webcast

In venue promotions. Almost every college I work at has some sort of timed promotion. Like make a layup, free throw and 3 pt basket in 15 seconds and win gift card.

I have used Kane's app, the clocks feature, and 3rd party stuff with chroma. Having something really easy and built in maybe with a macro based start would be great!

I'm able to start and stop from a webpage but cannot get the clock to start from a key coming online. We are using key 1 on ME 2. I see the clock come up in program on ME 2 but it doesn't start. We are using a TC1.
    I'll have to test this when I get a chance. I'll let you know what I find out.

* UPDATE *

I just tried this on my system and it is working (I used M/E 2, Key 1 to start/stop the timer). What version software on your TC1? And what web browser as you using? I tested with Chrome.
    Last edited by kanep; 05-14-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Just to mention it, TC does have a countdown clock, which allows you to set both Start and End times for a program, and the clocks can be assigned to the viewport in a multiview.

It has been requested from time to time that we give these timers the ability to trigger macros. I'd be interested to hear whether you'd need anything more than this for your specific need.
    We do shows for broadcast time slots. 27:30. Most of the shows are not live shows. The newTek clocks are setting start and end time on a time clock. I don't consider these a pure timer. We need to start a timer when 1st frame of video comes up and end the timer at last frame of video. If we go over our show time we would like the timer to count up to show us how much time over we were. This is useful when we are shooting several segments of a show.

The current clock timers in tricaster would require us to:
    • start a show using a kitchen timer
    • while we are switching the program figure out what the end time would be on a time of day clock
    • then set the time of day for the end time.

That's a lot of hassle and extra work during a show while keeping track of graphics, roll ins, cameras etc.

We purchased a AJA ROI just so we could send the tricaster multi viewer output, crop the section of the multi viewer with the clock, convert to Composite to send to an analog switch that allows the producer to switch between sending prompter or sending time left in show to the talent's teleprompter video feed. Then we found out the Tricaster "timer" is a clock and would take a lot of extra work to figure out what the time left in show is. And the clock graphic is too small for the talent to see from a teleprompter.

With the dataLink timer we can put a timer into a graphic as a video signal, place it on a dedicated ME, send that ME out one of the SDI outputs, convert to composite and send to the teleprompter.
    This solution is better because:
    • It's a large simple numeric timer
    • The quality is better because it's not cropped and upscaled from a multiviewer
    • If we change our multiviewer layout the AJA ROI will not have the time selected to crop out.

This is so important to us that we are willing to dedicate a graphic layer and an ME just so we can send time out to talent and have time on our multiviewer for everyone in the control room to see. Everyone is on the same time. Less work for the floor director.

It may seem like a small thing but it makes a big difference in helping a production go smoothly. Would be awesome if Tricaster had a dedicated timer that could be assigned as a video output to free up an ME and graphic layer.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I'll have to test this when I get a chance. I'll let you know what I find out.

* UPDATE *

I just tried this on my system and it is working (I used M/E 2, Key 1 to start/stop the timer). What version software on your TC1? And what web browser as you using? I tested with Chrome.
    * I got this to work using Edge web browser on a computer in the same network as the TC1. I've listed things that didn't work consistently below in case anyone else is having problems. *

I did get the M/E 2 Key 1 to work, but sporadically.

I'm using Internet Explorer which came installed with the TC1. When I go to our TC1 IP address with that browser (click on the world icon in TC1) it says: please use a modern browser.
    Kinda funny...
    So I installed Firefox on the TC1 and when I started the Tricaster software had a warning about incorrect software was installed and would I like to revert to a backup. So I uninstalled Firefox. But now I don't know if I should try another browser on the TC1.
    I want to keep TC1 a closed system... but the TC1 webpage is asking for a different browser to be installed?

I then tried running the clock from a computer (Safari on a Mac) on a different subnet and could connect to the TC1, and I see it working, but the time was drifting by a lot, like 4 min off.

I went back to the TC1, opened the browser (IE), canceled the warning and just went to the /timer/ webpage on the TC1.
    The 1st time I load the timer I see it reflected in the dataLink.
    But if I stop and reset the time the time doesn't update.
    Sometimes, when I start the clock, I see the time moving on the web browser but it's not updating on the dataLink in the multiviewer.
    Sometimes, after around 10 seconds it will update, and sometimes it won't update at all.
    I'm experimenting with always starting a new webpage instead of resetting the timer. That seems to help.
    I did see the clock start when the key came in on the webpage, but it didn't update in datalink. (sometimes it took 10 seconds, sometimes not at all)
    I tried using /localhost/timer instead of /ip/timer and that seemed to help, but still not consistent enough for me to trust.
    Tried getting the clock to pause when the key is brought out and didn't work.

Tried on a computer on the same network as the tricaster using Edge browser and it worked!
    Turned on when the key is on, paused when the key is out.

I need to test it some more to make sure time isn't drifting to badly (more than a couple seconds).

The webpage must be open for the timer to run. You can't set the timer then close the webpage. May seem simple but I didn't know if the timer was running on the server or the webpage.

My next step is to try installing Edge on the TC1 to see if I get any warnings and run it from the TC1.

This timer is awesome! You don't know how much we appreciated it. Thank you for developing it. This is a great highlight of the datalink feature on the TC1 and an ingenious way of using it.

If you are motivated, would be a great feature to have an option to count up after reaching zero.

* I got this to work using Edge web browser on a computer in the same network as the TC1. I've listed things that didn't work consistently below in case anyone else is having problems. *

I did get the M/E 2 Key 1 to work, but sporadically.

I'm using Internet Explorer which came installed with the TC1. When I go to our TC1 IP address with that browser (click on the world icon in TC1) it says: please use a modern browser.
    Kinda funny...
    So I installed Firefox on the TC1 and when I started the Tricaster software had a warning about incorrect software was installed and would I like to revert to a backup. So I uninstalled Firefox. But now I don't know if I should try another browser on the TC1.
    I want to keep TC1 a closed system... but the TC1 webpage is asking for a different browser to be installed?

I then tried running the clock from a computer (Safari on a Mac) on a different subnet and could connect to the TC1, and I see it working, but the time was drifting by a lot, like 4 min off.

I went back to the TC1, opened the browser (IE), canceled the warning and just went to the /timer/ webpage on the TC1.
    The 1st time I load the timer I see it reflected in the dataLink.
    But if I stop and reset the time the time doesn't update.
    Sometimes, when I start the clock, I see the time moving on the web browser but it's not updating on the dataLink in the multiviewer.
    Sometimes, after around 10 seconds it will update, and sometimes it won't update at all.
    I'm experimenting with always starting a new webpage instead of resetting the timer. That seems to help.
    I did see the clock start when the key came in on the webpage, but it didn't update in datalink. (sometimes it took 10 seconds, sometimes not at all)
    I tried using /localhost/timer instead of /ip/timer and that seemed to help, but still not consistent enough for me to trust.
    Tried getting the clock to pause when the key is brought out and didn't work.

Tried on a computer on the same network as the tricaster using Edge browser and it worked!
    Turned on when the key is on, paused when the key is out.

I need to test it some more to make sure time isn't drifting to badly (more than a couple seconds).

The webpage must be open for the timer to run. You can't set the timer then close the webpage. May seem simple but I didn't know if the timer was running on the server or the webpage.

My next step is to try installing Edge on the TC1 to see if I get any warnings and run it from the TC1.

This timer is awesome! You don't know how much we appreciated it. Thank you for developing it. This is a great highlight of the datalink feature on the TC1 and an ingenious way of using it.
    IE has aggressive caching which is what is causing the problem. You can fix it by:
    Opening 'Internet Options'
    Then clicking the 'Settings' button under Browsing History.
    Finally, choose the option 'Every time I visit the webpage'
    Once you set that IE11 should work fine. Otherwise it will do everything one time and then pull the cached data and never send commands back to the TriCaster.

I usually recommend using Chrome or FireFox for running my web apps. Safari, Edge or even IE11 (with the above setting) should work okay as well, but I test mostly against Chrome. Not sure why the timer would drift, in testing that I've done, I've found it to be fairly accurate, at least within a second compared to an external timer. If you are running on WiFi, I'd recommend going wired if possible. When working on WiFi, pretty much all timing goes out the window because of the 'bursty' nature of wireless signals.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks for the info regarding Internet Explorer. I'd like to stay away from Internet Explorer.

Ideally I'd like to run the timer on the TC1. Internet Explorer is installed there by default.

I found out last week I can run the timer in a buffer! This frees up a GFX to use for production. And I can route the buffer to one of the TC1s outputs. The flexibility of the TC1 is insane.

Also discovered all that matters is bringing in a key to start the timer.

At first I was loading the timer into GFX2 on ME1, then bringing up GFX2 in a key. Now I'm loading black into key1 and bringing that up in ME1. The assigning buffer1 to our multiviewer and one of the SDI outputs.

We used the timer in a show last week and it drifted? It was about 1 minute short. Running on the same network as the TC1, wired ethernet in Chrome. Not sure if this was a user mistake. I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm rethinking using the start and stop time of the TC1.

All my apps are designed with the idea that you would have a separate system to run them from. There is nothing stopping you from using IE on the TC1 itself, however I don't like having the web browser open and covering parts of the UI.

DataLink Timer uses DataLink to update the information, so the titles can be contained anywhere on the system, a Media Player or Buffer will work. You can use the DataLink files in multiple locations on multiple titles if you wanted to. On VMC1 system, all Buffers and Media Player are automatically presented as NDI feeds, on those system you don't even need to use up a MIX output to send this information to other systems.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12