Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 day trial Zbrush

Blog Entries

45 day trial Zbrush

Oh man they are finally pushing out a trial of zbrush.
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

Good to hear. I wonder if it has any limitations?

with no restrictions!
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    Good to hear. I wonder if it has any limitations?
    Except the horrible UI... I'll wait for R5 and have fun with 3D Coat instead.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Except the horrible UI... I'll wait for R5 and have fun with 3D Coat instead.
    i have to say wow you're right. I had no clue what to do. Maybe once i have some free time to go through the training things will make sense.
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

I'm relieved it's not just me :-)

Sure it's a powerful tool but it wants you to completely forget all the usability standards. Initially you just draw on a 2.5D canvas. Don't know why they still stick to this 2.5D legacy, I think nobody uses that functionality anymore.
    For a quick start as far as I understood: when you want to simply sculpt you have to create a (so called) "Tool" (object) from the "Lightbox", then immediately hit Edit (only the last tool is editable) and hit Create Polymesh or so. Otherwise you have to clean the canvas and start all over again. Navigation, modeling, texturing, retopo etc. it's all so weird to use. I find myself mostly reseting the UI because I end up in a mess.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, once you master it the workflow must be great and of course users are creating crazy artwork with it but I feel wasting my time learning a software that is so different from every normal UI standard. To be honest, using it makes me upset. I got 3D-Coat educational for $99 and I'm more then happy with it, the perfect companion for LW for me.

But thanks for the info about the trial!

Zbrush is a UFO but hey it's only unidentified until you identify it.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Zbrush is filled to the brim with mindbogglingly cool technology. But yes, the workflow is pretty ridiculous and unituitive. It's not completely illogical per se - it's just that it follows its own logic!
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

great software, but i too left it due to the UI workflow...

maybe i could've fixed it with AHK, but nah, i got myself 3DCoat instead, which seems quite alright
    (have yet to use it extensively... > agh)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    It always warms my heart when people support 3dcoat, considering the big help that guy has been to the LW market, when everybody else was ignoring LW.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

There is a steep learning curve for ZB but once you get over that it becomes second nature to use despite it being so different from everything else.
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

I'm sure some guys have an expensive electric guitar stuffed away in their closet gathering dust, I have ZB.

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    I'm sure some guys have an expensive electric guitar stuffed away in their closet gathering dust, I have ZB.
    Same here, I've forced myself to go through all videos on Pixo site and learn the basics and I was quite successful but I've got a feeling to do any sculpting/drawing you need to have sculpting/drawing skills in the first place otherwise you can use it for Hard Surface and some detailing work. It's a great tool, but sadly, not really for my or my needs atm.

S

I also forced myself to learn it properly; I subscribed to Digital Tutors and went through loads of their courses, plus the Pixologic ones. I bought Ryan Kingslien's Zombie intro course too. Additionally I also went along to life drawing classes (I can't draw to save my life) and on top of all that I've been studying anatomy for the past 2 years. So yes, quite an investment in time and energy but personally I'm so glad I've gone through it because I now really enjoy using ZB whereas before I was actually scared of the software because it was so daunting!!

Oh and I'm nowhere near a ZBrush expert yet.
    Last edited by adrian; 09-09-2015 at 02:16 AM.
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

The first thing that zbrush needs to do is get rid of the 2.5 canvas and go directly to the 3d canvas.
    Make items dropped in the 3d canvas editable from the start.
    The second thing is to improve the subtools workflow. Its just layers but a "different" implementation.
    Third, the move, rotate, scale workflow is too different again. Pose and translate tools in 3dcoat is easier.
    Masking, unmasking, selection, deleting selections could be better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast