Thread: why are the lights flickering...? dof?

why are the lights flickering...? dof?

is it that i am using depth of field? seems like when i turn that on i get this. has anyone figured out how i can fix it?

Any pics or video examples? It's hard to tell without some samples.

It could be Global Illumination? Or interpolated GI... or something else entirely. Not sure if it's becuase of DoF...
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

duah, global illumination! that's it. i sure wish i could use that function

Quote Originally Posted by stylus10 View Post
    duah, global illumination! that's it. i sure wish i could use that function
    You can use it, but you need to be able to know what settings will work for your scene.

Can you post any examples of what the issues are?
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

These are the settings I use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RadiosityGISettingsNew.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	128041
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Enable GI Cache, Enable Animation, set Preprocess = Automatic, set Frame Step = 1, set path to "radiosity" folder in your content dir and desired filename.cac (if no radiosity folder, create one). Temporarily set RPE = 1, SBR = 1. Set Ray Trace options off, except shadows. Bake Radiosity Scene. Return RT and GI to original settings. Set GI Preprocess = Locked. Save scene and render away without GI flicker.

You'll get a single cache file in your radiosity folder instead of multiple files every frame step. With frame step = 1 you'll also benefit from reduced calcs time since the samples from the previous frame are used and only new samples added as new geometry comes into view (the old LW 11.0 cache method minus the ability to do frame step > 1).

Setting RPE and SBR = 1 signifiactly reduces calc time as only the locations of the samples are recorded/needed for caching, so no need to throw hundreds of rays from that one location out into the scene, slowing down baking. Turning RT options of also speeds baking and are not part of the sample locating preprocess stage.
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX

Quote Originally Posted by Chrusion View Post
    Enable GI Cache, Enable Animation, set Preprocess = Automatic, set Frame Step = 1, set path to "radiosity" folder in your content dir and desired filename.cac (if no radiosity folder, create one). Temporarily set RPE = 1, SBR = 1. Set Ray Trace options off, except shadows. Bake Radiosity Scene. Return RT and GI to original settings. Set GI Preprocess = Locked. Save scene and render away without GI flicker.

You'll get a single cache file in your radiosity folder instead of multiple files every frame step. With frame step = 1 you'll also benefit from reduced calcs time since the samples from the previous frame are used and only new samples added as new geometry comes into view (the old LW 11.0 cache method minus the ability to do frame step > 1).

Setting RPE and SBR = 1 signifiactly reduces calc time as only the locations of the samples are recorded/needed for caching, so no need to throw hundreds of rays from that one location out into the scene, slowing down baking. Turning RT options of also speeds baking and are not part of the sample locating preprocess stage.
    Even better!
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Will this be helpful with backdrop rdiosity? or what Chrusion said is for Montecarlo? I have the same issue with flickering.