Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac Pro 2015

Mac Pro 2015

Hi all. I am looking at the Mac Pro and I was wondering if I would benefit from the 12 Core over the 8 Core model?
    http://prntscr.com/6qf2ap

Thanks in advance.

IF YOU CAN afford it the more cores the better.

laptops are a strange breed, because you cannot usually upgrade a laptop - my advice well to anyone getting a laptop has been buy as powerful as possible - keeping the longevity of the laptop as useful as possible. the money is not an issue in the long term.
    Last edited by vonpietro; 04-06-2015 at 02:02 PM.
    [url]https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kn21A[/u-- rl]
    fusion https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion
    resolve https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...avinciresolve/

just my opinion... but the 12-core model's price is what kills the deal for me. The price over the 8-core is doubled ... but you won't get anything near doubled performance.
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

yes 12 better but hold off see if the there's product refresh in offing, stands to reason a 16 core is next likely update

have also a look at this: http://create.pro

this british company sells refurbished and updated 'classic' mac pro's with dual CPU setups, which is more suited for 3D applications than the single CPU option of the newer macpro's from 2013 - which are basically optimized for video. you can get more CPU power for less, and it also gives you the opportunity to custom design all other parts of the mac. ...and it is way better (speak: stable) than any hackintosh, because only original mac parts are used for the most crucial components.

cheers

markus
    Last edited by 3dworks; 04-07-2015 at 01:55 AM.
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

i got my ideal mac up to 5250 pounds - it let me do a 12 core, 128gigs ram, and a titan black gtx 4gb ram card - so pretty powerful custom rig
    but lets see - quick check 5000 pounds is.......$7826 OUCH

so far my dream pc system with a dual 8 core xeons and a titan z with 128 gigs is coming up at $8000 bucks. So close. alittle more cpu power with 4 more cores. Not to bad.
    Last edited by vonpietro; 04-07-2015 at 02:09 AM.
    [url]https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kn21A[/u-- rl]
    fusion https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion
    resolve https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...avinciresolve/

Quote Originally Posted by 3dworks View Post
    have also a look at this: http://create.pro

this british company sells refurbished and updated 'classic' mac pro's with dual CPU setups, which is more suited for 3D applications than the single CPU option of the newer macpro's from 2013 - which are basically optimized for video. you can get more CPU power for less, and it also gives you the opportunity to custom design all other parts of the mac. ...and it is way better (speak: stable) than any hackintosh, because only original mac parts are used for the most crucial components.

cheers

markus
    Pretty interesting prices. With VAT, in Euros, and all the options (Titan black, 6 Gb for substance painter... ), it's much more interesting for european customers than OWC used mac pros. I often think about a 8-core nMP with D700 cards, because I'm using my computer at 50% for 3D and 50% for video, but with this site, you can get a very powerful machine for 6000 euros.
    Thanks for the link, I didn't know this site.

Well hate to say it but the 3.06GHz 12 core chip in that refurbed machine will only best the nMacPro by around 50 seconds or so on the LW marble benchmark scene, I have dual 6core 2.93GHz model and a nMacPro 12 core, its really annoying running the old one being liquid cooling makes it so noisy and in the summer the additional heat in the room gets too much, they did not redesign the machine for nothing, besides good luck carrying when you need to take it in for repair.

Mike, in Monsters Inc Tartiflette's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    Well hate to say it but the 3.06GHz 12 core chip in that refurbed machine will only best the nMacPro by around 50 seconds or so on the LW marble benchmark scene, I have dual 6core 2.93GHz model and a nMacPro 12 core, its really annoying running the old one being liquid cooling makes it so noisy and in the summer the additional heat in the room gets too much, they did not redesign the machine for nothing, besides good luck carrying when you need to take it in for repair.
    The "old" MacPro that i just bought (not from Create.pro, although they have quite great deals but mine was even better after a bit of search on eBay...) isn't liquid cooled at all and it doesn't make any noticeable noise, is yours a custom one ?
    As for being faster, i would find that more annoying that the new one, being at least 3 to 4 years younger (and being almost 4 times the price of my MacPro !) is slower, even by a small margin !!!

And i agree the old MacPro is quite heavy but as it isn't a laptop it's not meant to be moved very often and being a very robust machine i don' think it will have to be brought to the Apple Center that often for a repair.

Beside that i have now 12TB of HD inside my MacPro and a shiny nVidia 970GTX whereas i could only dream of changing anything in a nMP...
    Don't get me wrong, i love the nMP form factor and the great engineering thinking they've put into this beast but it's too "closed" to my taste as a professional computer and when you're doing 3D the old MacPro is by far a better choice than the new one, sadly.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

fine each to their own, right now one of my nMacPros is crunching through some animation, all twelve cores are going flat out but I can't hear a thing it might just as well be switched off, and the window isn't wide open to dissipate the heat buildup, remember this machine is pulling only half the wattage of the previous gen machine. To benchmark the old MacPro against the current nMacPro is a poor analogy, a better one would be how you rate the cost of the old refurbed twelve core against whatever comes out this year nMacPro wise and how good a bargain will it look then.

I hear you. But right now, even a refurbished 12-core nMP (at least on the French store) would be 2500€ above an old boosted one at create.pro with roughly the same horsepower and GPU capability. For someone on a budget, it is quite a bargain.
    I plan to replace my current aging iMac in two years (basically because during the next two years, with my real life job I won't have time to play with 3D or even 2D) with a Mac Pro. By then, I hope there will be some interesting nMP rev B (provided a rev B is issued this year) on the refurb store, but if not, I'll definitely consider the old MP option. And if I were to buy today, the create.pro version would be a no-brainer for me.

Hi all. Great feedback!
    I took the plunge and purchased a full of 12 core with all the bells and whistles and highest video card.
    Now I am just trying to figure out my external drives. The promise read systems look good but extremely expensive. I am thinking of just getting to 8 TB Western Digital drives that are USB 3.

Any advice on these external drives would be greatly appreciated.

I've been thinking about my next machine too, I have a 2012 dual 6core, disappointed the trashbin didn't have any more cores (but nice to hear that it uses so much less energy). I may go Linux, you can get dual 12, 16 and even 18core (36 real cores / 72 thread) systems. They're at least 15 grand right now, but the dual 14 or 16 is I think 8 grand. Never enough cores!

Maybe would be cheaper to buy 2 simpler rigs and use LWSN instead to get close to same render performance (or better) at lower price.

Trying to get even 16 cores to share the same memory (and doing it fast) is very expensive and still it will not be as fast as two machines with with 8 cores each as they have much better access to memory, and rendering eat lots of memory so cache needs to be huge also.

ugh - I'll have to look into that - it's not easy to find another 2012 12core anymore, and the new ones are cost-prohibitive, and with the cores split in 2 separate machines doesn't help test renders anyway -
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast