Thread: OBJ file format

OBJ file format

Hi!

Any one know if there is some documentation on what features of .OBJ files Lightwave will respect when it imports an .OBJ file ? it looks like it ignore some settings but it would be nice to know for sure that is the case.

Imports points (ordered), polys, pivot, mtl, texture, uv's (single or multiple), vertex normals and grouping (parts).
    Exports points (ordered), polys, pivot, surface (mtl), texture, uv's (single or multiple), vertex normals (if imported) and parts (grouping).

To make sure that your model exports texture's and uv's it has to be assigned somewhere in the surface under the 'T' button.

-M
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

Thanks, do you know if "Km" (bump strength) is imported from the mtl file ? it does not look like that, the bump is always set 100% after importing.

Specific mtl settings are not transferred other than the base Ka Kd information. If I remember right anything that is looking for an image will have info along with the texture name. So if there was a bump in the .mtl LW would show it as: Can't find bump -bm 2.0 woodbump.tga. So the value is right there.. Don't quote me since it has been a long time since I have seen a fully written .mtl file.

This is only on read. LW does not write specifics to like this.
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"