Thread: Bugs in the Wind -- PFX Particle systems crippled in 2015.2

Bugs in the Wind -- PFX Particle systems crippled in 2015.2

A heads up for those who may be losing hours to inexplicable particle behavior changes: the answer, my friend, is blowing in the Wind.

PFX Winds lose their settings upon save and reload. They revert to Direction +Y, 1M radius 100% power. This bug has been observed here to affect only 2015.2.

Workaround: downgrade to 2015.1 or earlier for PFX work. (I drop back to 11.6.3 because it still uses the 2x2 pixels instead of the nearly invisible 1x1 of 2015.x). Export PFX files back to 2015.2 that works fine.

Below is a test procedure for those of you who'd like to confirm.

-----------------

Bug: Layout PFX is experiencing two issues: it is showing large mismatches between the displayed numbers in the FX tab fields, and is losing settings upon save/reload.

Version tested: 2015.2

Expected behavior: displayed numbers bear 1:1 relationship to observed results, settings preserved upon save/load.

Steps to Reproduce:

Part 1: Hosed default displays.

1. Start Layout.
    2. Create a particle emitter. Upsize the emitter to 2x2x2 meters.
    3. Create a wind that will partially overlap and affect the particles, scrub timeline to observe results. Note that in the preview window, we see particle motion that match the expected default of 1m Radius and 100% Power, and a directional wind blowing up (+Y).
    4. However, look at the particle radius and power settings in the FX tab BEFORE making any changes. These numbers bear no relationship to what’s actually happening.
    5. Click into Radius and Power field, and <enter> the “false” numbers displayed there, to make them real. The results in the Preview window now change radically, confirming the mismatch.

Part 2: Destroyed settings.

6. Change the settings of the wind – adjust its radius. Change the wind type to Turbulence. Observe the expected results in Preview window.
    7. Save and reload. The wind will have reverted to the default Direction mode, and the OpenGL preview shows that the radius has dropped back to 1m. If you made any power adjustments, those are back to 100%.
    8. Got to the PFX tab. In my test, the Power and Radius settings appear to have persisted, but are nevertheless belied by the on-screen results.

What does clicking the Calculate button do and you then save the emitted and calculated particles as a PFX file?

I NEVER trust a timeline scrub to see how particles are going to behave. But then all my sims are emitting 100's of particles per FRAME (several 100 thousand per anim) that collide with multiple complex geometries where timeline scrubbing doesn't work. But I might for simple wind fields (no collisions).
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX

i just glanced at this post, but true, one can't rely on the timeline scrub for an accurate presentation,
    a recalculation is needed... (it's been this way since the launch of pfx i think)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
    (I drop back to 11.6.3 because it still uses the 2x2 pixels instead of the nearly invisible 1x1 of 2015.x).

I actually thought that new small particle pixel size is nicer, especially for me when working with lotīs and lots of particles..it ment that the particle density shown in openGL was more close to my final renders with tiny voxels..so that was helpful, I have always hated the larger pixel sizes, and I know modo and houdini has smaller pixel sizes too for the particles.....that said, I can understand it might be easier to follow them at certain times when they are bigger, so ...I think they should implement this in display options so we can choose 2x2 pixels or 1x1 pixels in the particle display...and not hard code it without the option to choose what you want.

I didnīt upgrade to 2015 though so I am still stuck with the 2x2 pixels in 11.6.3, I can imagining having few particle and maybe manually editing themm, then 2x2 would be better, but for larger clusters...itīs better of with the smaller sizes I think...might depend on your monitor and resolution too of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrusion View Post
    What does clicking the Calculate button do and you then save the emitted and calculated particles as a PFX file?
    The bug pertains to the settings being lost/mangled, not to the particle sim itself. I should have emphasized "**apparent** behavior" in my opening line, I guess; the actual sim itself still behaves as before, warts and all.
    Last edited by CourtJester; 03-17-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I actually thought that new small particle pixel size is nicer, especially for me when working with lotīs and lots of particles.
    I don't trust PFX with particle densities high enough for that to matter, at least in my case. It also strikes me a being a bit of a boneheaded move right on the cusp of 4k screens becoming common; I use a 40" 4k screen at home, which just makes it worse.

Yes, it should have been an option, but this IS Lightwave. We just grin and bear it (and squint).

Quote Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
    I don't trust PFX with particle densities high enough for that to matter, at least in my case. It also strikes me a being a bit of a boneheaded move right on the cusp of 4k screens becoming common; I use a 40" 4k screen at home, which just makes it worse.

Yes, it should have been an option, but this IS Lightwave. We just grin and bear it (and squint).
    what is it to trust? I donīt agree with you here on this matter, I found that when working with this kind of stuff, it is Way more easier to get the correct feel of the particle fields rather than having particle point with Bigger pixels, it will not give openGL feedback justice to how the final renders looks like, at least when doing this kind of stuff, if you are working with 50 or 500 particles with huge voxels, then itīs another thing.

So for my part..I prefer the smaller pixel size, but as mentioned, I donīt see why something should stop them for adding an option for either 1x1 or 2x2 particle size display in openGl, that way they can satisfy all of us.

Michael