Thread: LW2015.1 Update with Virus?

Newbie Member

LW2015.1 Update with Virus?

I've tried to run the new installer and Nortons tells me it's a virus and deletes it. Have you checked this Newtek?

If it's me I'll have to try and work out how to get Nortons to ignore it...

Banned
    Exit Norton, then install - its not LW that's the problem.

Norton is a virus.
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

Quote Originally Posted by MSherak View Post
    Norton is a virus.
    Yes Norton is definitely a huge pain in the butt. I use Microsoft Security Essentials.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 12-31-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

I wanted to jump in and say, Norton is a virus...but the viral antinorton campaign was already started by Msherak

Norton Utilities used to be the absolute best. Relied on them constantly to fix all manner of computer maladies. Peter Norton is one of the best programmers out there and his stuff was always first class. The day he sold to Symantec, sounded the death knell to all of the excellence that was. Put a bad name on a great pioneer.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    Norton Utilities used to be the absolute best. Relied on them constantly to fix all manner of computer maladies. Peter Norton is one of the best programmers out there and his stuff was always first class. The day he sold to Symantec, sounded the death knell to all of the excellence that was. Put a bad name on a great pioneer.
    Actually I was thinking of mentioning this. A few hours ago I bought LW 15.1 and I got a strange message from the Chrome Browser saying that my download was unusual and suspicious. When I looked in the downloads folder of my PC the download was incomplete. So I deleted it. Then I downloaded 15.1 LW again through the email link and it all went as normal.

So I don't know. I have trend micro and malwarebytes but they didn't show anything. It was just the Chrome browser.

G Data Internet Security package here;
    it did not gave a virus warning.
    Maybe a "wrong positive" from Norton?

Norton is the biggest virus ever.
    Lino Grandi
    3D Development, LightWave 3D Group/NewTek, Inc.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/

LightWave 3D Group YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Official...?feature=watch

My YouTube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/linograndi?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by lino.grandi View Post
    Norton is the biggest virus ever.
    Never a truer word said.

Havn't used it in years, since it went the Bloatware route. Switched to AVG atfer that, and that seemed to be going the same way. Now on Avast, but have my suspicions. None of them can resist the lure of cash after a while - can't blame them really.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

I was a user of Avast for many years but it's becoming just as bad as AVG. I stopped using Avast on my workstation a while back because I was getting way too many false positives. Curiously, the free version of Avast is actually less annoying about this than the pay version (I had the pay version on my workstation and the free version on my laptop.) I switched to AVG on the workstation for a while, but they were even worse. After a few weeks, I switched back to Avast and it seemed okay again. I kept it for about a year or so, but recently I started getting false positives again with the pay version.

Now I'm using the free version of Panda Cloud on the workstation. (Still have the free Avast on the laptop.) So far, Panda seems to be working out for me. It occasionally throws up a popup ad after startup but that hasn't been too annoying. I've only been using it for a few weeks though.

G.