Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rounder still not fixed?

Rounder still not fixed?

Hey all.

I'm not trying to bash Lightwave or Newtek here, but why has Rounder STILL not been made more stable? This is a very useful tool, but the random error "An error has occurred that may leave Modeler unstable..." is getting a little old.

I do understand that the tool has limitations. But why not program some "if the user tries to do ____, and I can't do ________, then tell the user: 'I can't do that, user! Try adding some polygons here and try again."

Would this not be preferable to a sudden "HEY! There's an error that might cause the program to crash! Save your work and run! Muahaha!"??

Are you all still using Rounder or have you found a suitable replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueSongMedia View Post
    Hey all.

I'm not trying to bash Lightwave or Newtek here, but why has Rounder STILL not been made more stable? This is a very useful tool, but the random error "An error has occurred that may leave Modeler unstable..." is getting a little old.

I do understand that the tool has limitations. But why not program some "if the user tries to do ____, and I can't do ________, then tell the user: 'I can't do that, user! Try adding some polygons here and try again."

Would this not be preferable to a sudden "HEY! There's an error that might cause the program to crash! Save your work and run! Muahaha!"??

Are you all still using Rounder or have you found a suitable replacement?
    Hi

LWCAD Mass Rounder is the best. It kills the built in rounder tool in modeler

Hope this helps
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by jboudreau View Post
    Hi

LWCAD Mass Rounder is the best. It kills the built in rounder tool in modeler

Hope this helps
    Jason
    The problem is that LWCad is a commercial tool to do something that there is a built in tool for that just doesn't work well.

That said; as a LWCad owner I would recommend EVERYONE buys LWCad regardless of what they use Lightwave for due to LWCad being so damn good.
    uh wha?

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Want to use modeller? Get LWCAD, just consider the outlay part of the cost of upgrading your LW seat. ;-)
    ...and yes, it is useful everywhere, not just for CAD stuff. :-)
    Too old to die young.

Agreed Colkai, its the only real reason i still use LW Modeler and with 2015 i don't see that changing any time soon
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

As much as I agree that LWCAD is a must have, it probably doesnt sound good to someone that they should buy a plugin to overcome a long standing limitation in LightWave. While i know they are supposedly updating modeler architecture, they really should consider fixing some things that have been complained about as much as Rounder has.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    As much as I agree that LWCAD is a must have, it probably doesnt sound good to someone that they should buy a plugin to overcome a long standing limitation in LightWave. While i know they are supposedly updating modeler architecture, they really should consider fixing some things that have been complained about as much as Rounder has.
    Oh I agree. I just got so tired of not being able to do simple things in modeler and when the sale came on for LWCAD I couldn't pass it up. It takes away most if not all of the limitations, and adds a ton more features that you just can't do easily in the current modeler. I can't wait for LWCAD 5.0

I agree I think the 2015 version should of gave a bit more love to modeler, not new features as I know they are fixing the architecture but to fix what has been broken for quite some time including rounder and other stuff that users have been complaining about.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Last edited by jboudreau; 11-25-2014 at 08:44 AM.
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

Heck I would be happy if they combined rounder, edge bevel, chamfer, bevel, and mutishift into one tool, like MODO has it. Parse down the tools set, I say
    --Andrew
    Bono Animo Esto

Intel Core i5 3570k
    nVidia GTX 970
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    I agree 100%, but I'm just be logical here.
    You know only too well how long some of us have had problems over Newteks lack of attention and vague promises of "next time". Some have moved on, for others, LWCAD is all that keeps us opening modeller, so I just figured, anyone wanting to get the most out of modeller has to accept that they need LWCAD.

Is it ideal? Nah, not at all, is it even right? Some don't care, others have taken required action for their needs.
    Too old to die young.

or Modo which has the bevelling tool described and dreamed of above (well for the most part) and is a way better add-on for LW users than LW Cad, I have both and on a day to day basis one is far more invaluable than the other

Quote Originally Posted by Amurrell View Post
    Heck I would be happy if they combined rounder, edge bevel, chamfer, bevel, and mutishift into one tool, like MODO has it. Parse down the tools set, I say
    Ab-so-lutely. I confess to having flirted with Modo (even considered picking it up and leaving LW) because the modeling there is simply a dream. But LW is such a good value and does so many things so quickly, I couldn't make the switch.

Modeler *needs* some love next version, or at least license LWCAD into LW 2016. For the love of God, DO SOMETHING about Modeler, Newtek! Or at least open up Layout with a framework to start migrating modeler tools into Layout somehow and let the 3rd party devs start blazing the trail...
    Last edited by Sylver; 11-27-2014 at 05:53 AM.
    - Sylver

 Specs: OC i5 3570k WC ~ Titan X Hydro ~ 1200W Corsair PS ~ 32GB RAM ~ Win 10 Pro (64-bit) ~ LW 11.6x (64-bit) ~ Octane 2.x

It is pretty sad that even Blender can do what Rounder should be able to do. Newtek, you want us to keep paying you for upgrades, improvements, new features, etc. How about fixing these major bugs that Modeler has had for years?

Modo is looking really nice right about now. I do have a license of 601 that I may need to get back into.

I also tried out Rounder in the Lightwave 2015 trial hoping that maybe just maybe it had been given some attention but it only took a few seconds to realize it wasn't touched at all.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

I posted on the Newtek and Lightwave 3D Facebook pages about this issue. It may seem minor to some people, but for those of us who can't afford several hundred more USD to buy LWCAD, it is a big issue. How long will we have to wait for Newtek to fix this problem? Other 3D programs can do what we need just fine. I know Newtek knows Modeler needs work. Instead of fixing Modeler, they just keep throwing out new releases (i.e. 2015).

Newtek, you need to fix what's broken before bringing more features. Granted, some of those new features are really nice, but if you want to impress us, fix the bugs before the features!

I've created a (mediocre) video that shows Blender 2.72b, Modo 601 sp5, LW 11.6.3, and LW 2015. Blender and Modo round the edge perfectly, where LW 11 and 2015 throw an error.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast