Thread: Exporting to JOSN/Three.js

Exporting to JOSN/Three.js

Hey guys,

I was talking with a co-worker the other day about this and I have been doing some reading into exporting to JSON/Three.js for WebGL. Is there any native or plugin pathway to easily export from LW to WebGL? I have seen a few converters pop up but a lot of them either don't support or aren't clear on if they support rigged animation. It seems that Blender has has a plugin but my desire to try to mess with a new program is pretty low at the moment.

If that is the best path, then I can look into but I just thought I would throw the question out there and get some feedback.

I will be honest and say I am not sure the focus on the direct pipeline to WebGL rather using something like UDK or Unity (when it becomes available). So if anyone has any experience or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RayO3D View Post
    Hey guys,

I was talking with a co-worker the other day about this and I have been doing some reading into exporting to JSON/Three.js for WebGL. Is there any native or plugin pathway to easily export from LW to WebGL? I have seen a few converters pop up but a lot of them either don't support or aren't clear on if they support rigged animation. It seems that Blender has has a plugin but my desire to try to mess with a new program is pretty low at the moment.

If that is the best path, then I can look into but I just thought I would throw the question out there and get some feedback.

I will be honest and say I am not sure the focus on the direct pipeline to WebGL rather using something like UDK or Unity (when it becomes available). So if anyone has any experience or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks
    to save time why not just use sketchfab and the lw exporter? in regards to LW and WEBGL it's not really LW it's more the object format , for example webgl now supports an array of formats such as fbx collada obj ext... you would just export the object and include it a web directory , I did stuff with webgl ages ago I am sure I put up demo and examples on here "you just had to swap the object file around"

Use rather "Babylon" and his "Sandbox" :

http://www.babylonjs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    to save time why not just use sketchfab and the lw exporter? in regards to LW and WEBGL it's not really LW it's more the object format , for example webgl now supports an array of formats such as fbx collada obj ext... you would just export the object and include it a web directory , I did stuff with webgl ages ago I am sure I put up demo and examples on here "you just had to swap the object file around"
    I think this is where my gap in knowledge is for WebGL. If I understand this correctly, are you saying that I should be able to simply export a rigged/animated object to FBX and have it in a directory and the WebGl engine will convert it automatically? I have been under the impression that I needed to convert the FBX myself before heading over to the WebGL engine.

It's been difficult to find anything solid so I apologize for the confusion on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Areyos Alektor View Post
    Use rather "Babylon" and his "Sandbox" :

http://www.babylonjs.com/
    I have been playing with it off and on but haven't figured out the Sandbox just yet. For some reason it just spins like it won't load the .babylon file converted from my FBX. I am going to keep playing though and see what I get.

I've had some luck with https://clara.io/. I'd be interested if anyone else has had experience playing with .json and WebGL since this thread was started. I wanted to export via Blender, but I'm having a hell of a time importing FBX files without a mess of errors.
    Personal: louisdumont.com | Company: weareformation.com | Texture: supertextures.co.uk | Visiting Short: visitingshort.com

I just worked on a VR WebGL project, and everything I exported from Lightwave needed to be sent over in Collada. (dae). Also found out that anything with bone deformations had to be sent over in OPEN Collada as the regular Collada wrapper wouldn't support the bones. The OPEN Collada had to get sent via 3dsmax which had an exporter available.

Another issue that came up was smoothing groups. As they can't be assigned in Lightwave, I had to take them into 3dsmax, setup the groups, and then re-export to collada when necessary.

st3.

Awesome, thanks for the info Steve! I'll have to give that max exporter a go.
    Personal: louisdumont.com | Company: weareformation.com | Texture: supertextures.co.uk | Visiting Short: visitingshort.com