Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Align Polygon Normal to Background Edge?

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar

Align Polygon Normal to Background Edge?

So, I'm working on my model of a steam locomotive, and due to some strangely angled constructions I need to align a poly so that the normal follows the line of an edge in the background layer, so I can do some extrusion and bevelling stuff to it. Now normally I'd just do this by eye, but in this case, as I'm in no rush, I thought I'd try out some of the new align tools to see if any could help me in this basic operation. Well, as far as I can tell, they can't. I then had a look around the Plugin Database to see if I could find anything there, no luck.

So, does anyone know of a plugin or method that works on Mac 11.6 that can do this simple operation? And no, I can't afford LWCAD at this moment in time...
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Show a print screen. ;]

there has been plugins for a long time out there to adust a polygon to a background curve, so what is the difference here? you are using an edge...so the question about the edge, is it edge on geometry or poly lines? and do you mean the polygon should adjust perpendicular or along the edge direction?

Okay, so I have a poly in the foreground, and geometry in the background:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 14.31.39.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	125312

I would pick an edge, (or a couple of points, I'm not fussy! )

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 14.31.58.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	125313

And I'd get this:

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 14.32.54.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	125314

Does that make more sense?

I had a look at the plugin database, but the ones I found either didn't work on my Mac, or didn't seem to have the functionality I needed. However, I am fully prepared to be incorrect.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

On my eye on your last image, plane is not "edge normal" (the rotation).
    You can have try separate only edge (two point polygon), use "Align" to edge and then "Axis translate" polygon to end point.

some pictrix plugins might do it, he has so many I canīt recall which one would fit the bill.

otherwise the new align tool should work accordingly to a fast test...haven worked much with it and it is a little tough to get the head around.

tried with geometry in background but it didnīt work so good, then I simple selected the edge I want from the geometry and copy it..paste the edge to another layer and only use that as reference, then I used align on the poly only with that edge in background, when the hud axis shows, click on it...then click on the background edge axis that is highlighted in the same direction as the background edge, and it will align to that direction.

Iīll try to do a recording of it later...got to go out for the moment though, so it will be within a couple of hours.

Basicly it is the very same as MarcusM described., it will not snap to the edge point, for that you manually move with align, or use axis translate like MarcusM said.

Hmm, I can't copy and paste edges...

So, I copied the points to a new layer, made a two point poly, and tried the align tool. It aligned the poly normal to the line, but rotated it around its axis:

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 16.51.43.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	125315.

Getting there, but still not quite right. BTW, I downloaded a couple of the pictrix plugins but they didn't install.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

What I would do.... (not in 11.6, but I am on Mac, so maybe some steps/plugs will be helpful)

Copy points to new layer (then make open curve) or copy edge to new layer (then toggle to curve).
    Use Align to Rail plug (although this seems to be native now as stated above?).
    Once in position, I use Translate Plus to move/rotate along/around it's new orientation..... new Translate tool incorporates old Translate Plus functionality now... I believe.

edit: what is the final position & rotation you would like? Can you show an image done by hand of the expected result?
    Last edited by JoePoe; 11-02-2014 at 10:51 AM.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

not 100% but maybe this could help...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by JoePoe View Post
    ...then toggle to curve...
    Cool plugin, that's installed!

what is the final position & rotation you would like? Can you show an image done by hand of the expected result?
    See pic three above. If I was in layout, I'd do it nodally, find the vector between the background two points, normalise it, and copy that to the heading and pitch of the poly.

Interesting technique Erikals, might play with that, but it still all seems a bit long-winded. Not blaming you of course.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    Hmm, I can't copy and paste edges...

So, I copied the points to a new layer, made a two point poly, and tried the align tool. It aligned the poly normal to the line, but rotated it around its axis:

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 16.51.43.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	125315.

Getting there, but still not quite right. BTW, I downloaded a couple of the pictrix plugins but they didn't install.
    Why isnīt copy edges working? it is working here with lw 11.6.2 at least, just select the edge in edge mode and copy and paste to another layer, is it a mac think, or maybe 11.6.0?

otherwise just run strandmaker on the geometry and you will have them as two point poly edges anyway, delete all other edges except the one you want ...but I am confused...if you have the new t ools with align etc..whatīs
    up with copy edges and pasting not working? it should work.

recording...got a little glitching when I was about to choose axis...I also got a twisted rotation, so not perfect.

Ahhh.... so you're looking for an align function that also has rotational control in one fell swoop.
    Sorry, all I can offer is align THEN rotate.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Another solution which I think someone covered already? perhaps the simplest workflow?

just select end points of the edge, make it an open curve, run the align to rail command_no requester...it is hidden so search for it in the menu and place it in your appropiate menu of your liking.

Ps...no need to copy and paste the curve to another layer, just leave the curve in the first layer...just remember that the first point you pick for your curve is where your poly will be aligned, now this will be all correct in rotation at the end too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast