Thread: Need two instances of LiveText running at same time (for use with TriCaster 860)

Need two instances of LiveText running at same time (for use with TriCaster 860)

This may seem extremely odd, but hopefully I can explain myself well enough that you guys can at least understand what I'm trying to do.

We have the TriCaster Studio but looks like we may be making the move to the 860 provided the purchase gets approved in the upcoming budget meeting.

Now, a little background on the working environment... our in-house production serves two purposes - we push the production to an internet stream and also push that same output to an in-house videoboard/jumbotron. On the Studio model, we just used both video outs for these two purposes. The downfall of sending the same feed to both places is that graphics either appeared to large on the internet stream or way too small on the videoboard. There's no happy medium. If it looks good on one screen, it looks bad on the other.

Now, if I'm understanding the videos on NewTek's site, with an 860, we could actually send the main output to the internet stream and send a second and separate output to the big videoboard through one of the m/e busses? If that's the case, it would allow us to send separate (and simultaneous) graphics packages to each one and tailor the sizing of the graphics to each.... send the smaller graphics package to the internet and send larger full screen graphics to the videoboard that is geared more to on-site fans than at homes fans.

All that said, I now bring up my question of how that might be possible to do with LiveText? We currently use LiveText2 with our Studio. Obviously I dont believe I can run two instances of LiveText on the same machine as there wouldn't be a way to separate them going to the 860? Is it possible to run LiveText on two separate laptops that would send separate feeds to the 860... where I can use one on my main output and use the other on the m/e bus output? Is this possible to do with the one version we own now from NewTek or would it require another purchase/serial number to do this? Any other ideas on how I could accomplish this task? Are there other 3rd party CG programs out there (similar in price) that I should be looking at for this type of use?

Thanks in advance for anyone that provide insight into this.

Yes, you can send two copies of LiveText from two different computers into the TriCaster 860. And yes, you can separate them so that one is used for program out and the other for the M/E output.

You would need to purchase a second copy of LiveText to do this, the license that is sold with it is for one running installation of LiveText.

Other options.
    - Use GFX or Buffers that are built into the TriCaster for graphics.

- CasparCG is a free CG system that works with TriCaster, but it isn't as easy to setup and configure as LiveText is.

- There are other CG solutions, some of which support dual NET output. http://newtek.com/solutions/newtek-d...ory?category=1
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks for the notes kanep. That's enough to get me on the right track!

Bringing this post back from the dead. Have the second version of LiveText, getting ready to purchase laptop to run it on. Any issues with LiveText running on Windows 8? (I've only used it on version 7 to date)

No issues. We use Windows 8.

Not sure on the Windows 8 question, but wanted to share some info on your intended workflow, as it seems you may be new to 860 and it so far beyond the old Studio capabilities.

With the two LiveText feeds, one feed might be NET1 on DSK1 with VIDEO 1 feeding jumbo board, while the other will be NET2 feeding the KEY layer in ME1. Then choose ME1 for VIDEO 2, and set STREAM to "FOLLOW 2". Outputs are all configured using gear at lower right of Program window (in red bar).

For switching the two programs at once (difference being only the graphics), set ME1 to MIX and then GROUP the A and B sources of the ME to PROG and PREV, so the cuts mirror one another. Click on the A, B, PROG or PREV buttons at left of screen to see color grouping options and match A to PROG, B to PREV. Note that while the Grouping makes the sources follow each other when hot-punching or when using TAKE or AUTO, doing an AUTO on main switcher does not also do a transition on the ME - it simply CUTS once the transition completes on the main switcher. As a workaround, I just did a one-step Macro that does an AUTO on ME1 and tied it to the SPACEBAR. So, hitting SPACEBAR causes BOTH the main switch and ME1 to transition at the same time. This does not work with the CS though, keyboard only.

Maybe there's a better way to accomplish the dual outputs, this is just what comes to mind.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    As a workaround, I just did a one-step Macro that does an AUTO on ME1 and tied it to the SPACEBAR. So, hitting SPACEBAR causes BOTH the main switch and ME1 to transition at the same time. This does not work with the CS though, keyboard only.
    Because M/E is grouped, won't the second AUTO in macro return both PGM and M/E to original source?

If you delegate fader controls to ME/FTB, select the grouped M/E on PGM, and then use AUTO, I think transition will occur on both M/E and PGM outputs. Assuming that you do not want graphics during replays, etc., this will still require a macro to bring DSK graphics in/out as necessary--as well to eliminate extra keystroke to select M/E bus prior to transition.

Don't have a board in front of me, so not tested.

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    This does not work with the CS though, keyboard only.
    That's because SPACEBAR (in this case) is tied to two AUTO commands, the MAIN AUTO and now M/E1 AUTO. If you want it to work off the Control Surface, make a macro that perform these two auto commands, set it to snapshot and the make it a button on the CS.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank you guys for the in-depth notes on the Macros because you are right, this system is ridiculously loaded with bells and whistles compared to what we came from.

So I got the Macro created that enables the auto fade of both the Program out and M/E 1 at the same time. This can currently be accomplished by hitting the Macro button and Auto Transition button on the CS at the same time. My question is, can I overwrite the actual Auto Transition button on the CS so my Macro is actually the default Auto Transition? At first glance, I couldn't find any way to redefine what the actual buttons on the CS do (without having to push the Macro button at the same time)