Thread: Compatibility with Blackmagic Studio Camera

Compatibility with Blackmagic Studio Camera

Hi everyone,
    We are looking at possible replacement cameras for our studio. We are using the TriCaster 455. I noticed that Blackmagic Design now has a studio format camera which states,"The Blackmagic Studio Camera features built in talkback so the camera operator and crew can communicate at all times during production. Setup is easy because talkback is embedded in the optical or SDI video connection to the camera, so you don’t have to run separate talkback cables!"

Also, "The Blackmagic Studio camera supports the tally SDI standard used on the ATEM range of live production switchers. This means the tally from the switcher is broadcast to all cameras from all video outputs of the ATEM switcher and it’s sent to the Blackmagic Studio Camera via the program video connection. Tally lights illuminate automatically when your camera is live, and will stay illuminated during multiple camera transitions. "

I asked NewTek about this and they did not seem to know if the switcher would be compatible with this. They suggested I ask around on the Forum. So here I am. This seemed the most appropriate place. Does anyone have any idea if this is compatible with the TriCaster?

Thanks for any information you may have.

MRM

SDI Tally supported is planned for the next release of software on the TriCaster 410, 460, 860 and 8000 models. An upgrade to your 455 system is needed to be able to get this. You will need to contact a NewTek dealer to find out if your 455 upgrade would be software or a hardware upgrade.

As for talkback, I think you will need the ATEM Camera Converter to add that into the signal going back to the camera.

I've never used one of these cameras myself, but I suggest taking a look on the Black Magic forums about them. I've read about issues that people have run into with these cameras (not using it with TriCaster, just in general).
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Yes the BMD Studio Camera should display the tally since we were told it has basically a Camera Converter inside it. You will not necessarily need a studio converter though unless you are planning on doing fiber between the camera position and TriCaster. The Tally signal is going over the SDI signal so in theory you should be good. Fiber and the Studio Converter would definitely work though. We are using a Studio Converter and Camera Converters and have Tally working just fine.

as far as the BMD Studio Cameras..... Good luck with those. (sarcastically typed) Forget it for anything where you need to zoom or change focus. You "Might" be able to make something happen in a fixed studio environment. You will can bet on buying extra lenses and dealing with lots of pain with them.

I would suggest going with different cameras and the ATEM Camera Converter/Studio Converter solutions or if you are doing short runs just good ol copper. There are Tally and Communications solutions that run over inexpensive Cat5. http://www.metasetz.com/ these are the ones from Jeff and Kris that we sell with great success.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ View Post
    Yes the BMD Studio Camera should display the tally since we were told it has basically a Camera Converter inside it. You will not necessarily need a studio converter though unless you are planning on doing fiber between the camera position and TriCaster. The Tally signal is going over the SDI signal so in theory you should be good. Fiber and the Studio Converter would definitely work though. We are using a Studio Converter and Camera Converters and have Tally working just fine.

as far as the BMD Studio Cameras..... Good luck with those. (sarcastically typed) Forget it for anything where you need to zoom or change focus. You "Might" be able to make something happen in a fixed studio environment. You will can bet on buying extra lenses and dealing with lots of pain with them.

I would suggest going with different cameras and the ATEM Camera Converter/Studio Converter solutions or if you are doing short runs just good ol copper. There are Tally and Communications solutions that run over inexpensive Cat5. http://www.metasetz.com/ these are the ones from Jeff and Kris that we sell with great success.
    I concur with Jef. The BMD Studio Camera is the camera that I would LOVE to buy but NEVER will with the current implementation. They have so much "right" with the camera but too much "wrong" with them, too, mainly in the lens support.

Check out the numerous threads on the BMD forums before buying them to properly educate yourself on their pros and cons.
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

Thank you all for the information and comments. Buying cameras are still in the future right now but I want to keep up on possible solutions.

I have a BMD Studio Camera. You can control iris, focus, and zoom -- if you're using a compatible lens. I also have an ATEM 4k Production studio, where you can remotely control those three aspects of the camera - as well as color correction. I also own a TriCaster 860. I'm hoping in a future release, some of this compatibility will become part of the TriCaster as well - as so far, the camera is pretty sweet!

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by iHuman View Post
    I have a BMD Studio Camera. You can control iris, focus, and zoom -- if you're using a compatible lens. I also have an ATEM 4k Production studio, where you can remotely control those three aspects of the camera - as well as color correction. I also own a TriCaster 860. I'm hoping in a future release, some of this compatibility will become part of the TriCaster as well - as so far, the camera is pretty sweet!
    Very curious which lens you are using successfully on your BMD Studio Camera???

If you don't mind, I would love to discuss some items about your BMD camera solution if you have the time. email me directly at jef at pizazz dot com
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

The BMD Studio Camera is compatibe with the following lens:
    ‚- Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Power O.I.S. Lens ‚
    - Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom O.I.S. Lens ‚
    - Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 EZ Micro 4/3 Lens ‚
    - Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ Micro 4/3 Lens

I have the second one (- Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom O.I.S. Lens ‚) and it's been doing great.

I'l email you directly

Quote Originally Posted by iHuman View Post
    The BMD Studio Camera is compatibe with the following lens:
    ‚- Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Power O.I.S. Lens ‚
    - Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom O.I.S. Lens ‚
    - Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 EZ Micro 4/3 Lens ‚
    - Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ Micro 4/3 Lens

I have the second one (- Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom O.I.S. Lens ‚) and it's been doing great.

I'l email you directly
    HI, which lens do you recommend for normal studio use. I have old SD Cameras with B4 Lens 9-162mm.
    The camera that you have is a HD or 4k version?

Thanks