Thread: HDMI Out Converter Question

HDMI Out Converter Question

Hello, me and my local high school are currently upgrading to an HD workflow over our previous SD workflow. With this, we are also upgrading our studio cameras to high definition, to take advantage of the awesome features the 8000 has, as well as to achieve much better keying. Because we're on a slight budget, we have chosen two Sony HDR-CX300's ($329/camcorder), both of which have HDMI out's at 1080p/60fps. Our plan is two have both cameras have 1080p HD going out through the HDMI, into a HDMI to HD-SDI converter, and then directly into the Tricaster. Our question is, what would be a suitable HDMI to SDI converter that would work well for us, but not cost as much as the Black Magic solutions do. Also, would anyone with extensive experience with a Tricaster back-up our plan for getting the 1080p HD feed into the Tricaster as being a reliable solution? I am willing to hear all input and options. Thanks in advance.

While there may be some off-brand converters for less, the BMD pricing is the going rate for pro-grade name-brand gear. I don't have a specific recommendation for other "cheaper" choices, however please note that TriCaster cannot accept 1080p60. It will do 1080i 59.94, 1080p30 and 1080p24. If you need 60p, it will do 720p60 (59.94).

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

If the runs aren't too long from the cameras to the switcher, I'd probably just go with analog component HD in your situation. Long HDMI cable is kind of expensive (unless you are strapping the converter to the camera and running SDI the rest of the way) and combining it with the converter just adds to the cost. Your cameras have that output, the 8000 has that input. Less hassle, less conversion, easier to manage. I do like the BlackMagic stuff though, the HDMI-SDI is only about $300.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    If you want to convert the HDMI to HD-SDI at the camera location then I suggest you go with these guys:

http://www.atomos.com/connect-converters/

Compact and battery powered. I find them more reliable for signal conversion than the BMD versions.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

I looked into going through component HD out, but I became so frustrated trying to find the right AV cables that support HD and all that I just went directly into a more professional solution in 3G-HD-SDI cables. I found this dual HDMI to 3G-HD-SDI converter, which would probably work for our solution (http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-sdi-adapter.html) . My only concern is that we plan to run external audio via XRL into the Tricaster, and if there will be a delay between the video feed and audio feed. Our total cable run between the studio and Tricaster is about 50ft, 60ft at the most. Between the component HD and HDMI to 3G-HD-SDI solutions keeping in mind my concerns, versus the component HD solution, which would be the best. Currently, we could probably budget both solutions. Thanks again.

Hello,

check out somthing like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-to-SDI-...item3ce94e8c24
    We used such type of converters in the past with great success. (not onle one fail so far)
    We also have BMD and other brand converters, but found the cheap ones to be real problem solver when it comes to HDMI Format end EDID problems.

Best regards,
    Walter
    TC8000 / TW850
    Cables: Belden 1694/Canara Connectors
    Cams: Sony PWM-EX3, Sony HDR-CX430/BMD HDMI2SDI

Quote Originally Posted by Dlierz View Post
    My only concern is that we plan to run external audio via XRL into the Tricaster, and if there will be a delay between the video feed and audio feed.
    Current TriCaster systems have an audio delay feature on each input of the audio mixer. You can adjust the amount of delay to 1/10th of a frame. If your converter adds delay (which it might), this should help you get things synced back up.

Also check that dual HDMI to SDI converter. It says that it is a 'switchable' HDMI to 2 SDI outputs. Its doesn't sound like getting two independent HDMI to SDI converters in a single unit.
    Last edited by kanep; 10-12-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Current TriCaster systems have an audio delay feature on each input of the audio mixer. You can adjust the amount of delay to 1/10th of a frame. If your converter adds delay (which it might), this should help you get things synced back up.

Also check that dual HDMI to SDI converter. It says that it is a 'switchable' HDMI to 2 SDI outputs. Its doesn't sound like getting two independent HDMI to SDI converters in a single unit.
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm assuming the Tricaster 8000 would be considered a current Tricaster system. Also, on the SDI converter, the "specs" sections says it has two HDMI individual inputs, where the picture only has one. If it does only have one HDMI input, that would not be a big deal in that we could just purchase two HDMI to SDI converters. Nonetheless, do you think that the converters from that website would be suitable for converting a HDMI signal to the 3G-HD-SDI cables? Also do you know if the Tricaster supports 3G-HD-SDI cables? Our plan is to convert the 1080p HDMI out from two Sony HD Handycams to 3G-HD-SDI. I'm pretty sure the Tricaster 8000 supports 1080p inputs. Thanks again!

TriCaster 8000 is a current model.

TriCaster supports video formats up to 1.5G/HD-SDI. For 1080p that would max out at 29.97fps. You can plug in 3G-SDI devices into TriCaster, just makes sure they are outputting in a TriCaster supported video format.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.