Thread: Theater WIP

Theater WIP

We had a modeling project this week at school. Almost everyone in the class fired up Zbrush and started sculpting. I stuck to good old LightWave. It is based on the National Theater in Oslo, Norway. Not a replica, but not too far off. It's not 100% done yet. Gotta get some sleep and finish it tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	theater_detail.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	277.5 KB 
ID:	124648

Name:	theater_angled_high.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	124649

Name:	theater_angled.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	124650
    3D Generalist
    i7 5960x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Looks fantastic!

looks nice!
    I love the details of the columns!

whats the render time look like? machine stats.

-- if you up the AA you'll get a cleaner render, but it will take longer. (if it's over nite, crank those AA settings)
    [url]https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kn21A[/u-- rl]
    fusion https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion
    resolve https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...avinciresolve/

Hi guys! And thanks The renderings in the opening post were done in 1min 30sec per render in Octane 2 standalone. Thus the noise and all.
    I had to finish the model that Friday night, but I think I got the essentials in there. I'd love to get at least a couple sculptures or other architectural details done (such as some theatrical masks and lion statues above some of the entrances) but I simply ran out of time.

The model was done with a mix of LWCAD and default LightWave tools. Here's a couple of pointers..

The roof was done with splines. I put down some points and made it into a spline, then copied and rotated and mirrored and what not to make it a full square.
    Then I patched the splines together to form the special form of the roof.

Name:	ss+(2014-09-24+at+10.21.48).png 
Views:	66 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	124760

To make the special details on the roof, I selected pairs of polygons along each corner and the middle, and used the Engraver tool in LWCAD.

Name:	ss+(2014-09-24+at+11.01.22).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	124761Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss+(2014-09-24+at+11.11.39).png 
Views:	81 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	124762

I modeled a set of doors (but in reality there's basically three or four different designs - but ask anyone on the street, and they'd never notice!) and made it into an ArchViz object so I could place them wherever I wanted to quickly. I did the same thing for the windows. Basic object, then slammed into the ArchViz tool.

Early test on the windows and door.

Name:	ss+(2014-09-25+at+12.01.43).png 
Views:	56 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	124763

The model was made mostly done as a half, and when I was happy with one side - I mirrored it. Saved me a ton of work. The original in Oslo is slightly different on each side - but again - time limits. I'd rather deliver something thoroughly COMPLETE than something that isn't production ready.

Here's a photo of the original pillar details, as well as a work in progress.

Name:	ss+(2014-09-30+at+01.42.07).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	124764 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss+(2014-09-30+at+02.54.21).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	124765

Here's a little sequence I put together with clay rendering which I'll show the teacher tomorrow morning. Just like the previous renders in the opening post, they were done in Octane.
    Each frame was rendered in about 25-30 sec per frame. The sequence is a total of 750 frames. It is a pure render out of LightWave, where I had multiple cameras set up, and used a master plugin to cut between each camera at given keyframes. Worked like a charm! Set up - hit F10! I've only adjusted a tiny bit of colors and added a slight vignette afterwards.

I'm allowed to insert only one video per message, and it seems like I can't write replies to my own post with videos as well, so I add them as links..

Turntable. Rendered about 10 sec a frame.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oghMAW-bz18

The first Octane render test with animated camera to check render speed. Rendered at about 15-20 sec a frame.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhRNfox6lfo

All these sequences were rendered with only 600 samples (looked fine enough to me and rendered fast) at the resolution you see on YouTube.

The current stats for my computer is
    - Gigabyte Z87X-UD4
    - i7 4770K
    - 16GB RAM
    - GTX Titan

I've ordered a second hand GTX Titan, which I hope will ad a lot to the render speed.

And just as a treat to you guys, I'll show you what a very talented girl in the class made: The Queen of Hearts in Zbrush. I helped her fixing some stuff on the model (it didn't want to open in Maya, but good ol' LightWave didn't have a problem ) so I put her into the scene just to give her a "cheer up! We'll fix this!".

Name:	theater_qoh.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	124766Click image for larger version. 

Name:	theater_qoh2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	124767

I must say I LOVE working with Octane. It feels so natural, just like LightWave in general. It's so fast and easy to get really good results, just like I'm used to with vanilla LightWave.
    Last edited by OlaHaldor; 10-05-2014 at 04:20 PM.
    3D Generalist

I forgot to show how I made the curls for the pillars!
    Here's a quick low res proof of concept on how I did it.

Spline. Profiler (scale/rotate different on each end of the spline), and select polygons and use engraver.
    Then I set it at an angle and mirrored the model. Placed it in the corner of a square, mirrored, and then mirrored again so all four corners had the same curly detail.

3D Generalist

Very nice modelling! I still don't get why people would use Zbrush for that kind of modelling (but then to be fair I know next to nothing about hard surface modelling in that program). Anyway well done on this - you going to be putting it into a fully fledged scene at any point?
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

Thanks! At the moment there's no such plans. Perhaps during the year at school. We're supposed to have three weeks of VFX after New year, and the theater is just a 5 min walk from the school. I'm tempted to make the VFX stuff linked to this and the assets I already got.
    3D Generalist