Thread: Instancing

Instancing

Hey guys, I'm trying to animate a lathe of a bunch of pieces of geometry that I will eventually transition into a sphere (Company logo) using instances, but my final instanced pieces seems faceted and rough (see capture) started to play with some textures just to make sure I've got the right approach. I've tried different sizes to see if the finer the piece, hence the more instances needed, but still looks rough. Is this the correct approach?

BTW kinda new to LW. Don't use it as much as I'd like, but know my way around.

Any ideas or a different approach perhaps? Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	165 
Size:	411.6 KB 
ID:	124171

hard to tell whatīs the problem, all I can see is the yellow big parts being faceted, turn on smoothing in the surface editor, faceting is a surface thingy, so i donīt understand what that has to do with instancing?

The faceting, I'm guessing, is coming from instancing the parts that make the entire shape, cause Smoothing is on, and I've played with the smooth threshold as well, if I use the same surface on a different piece of geometry, looks ok. So my guess is that maybe there aren't enough steps in the sweep around, but I think there are, as far as I can tell anyways, tnx anyways.

Either A LOT of instances or "prebend" the parts in modeler so the normals near the edge of one instance is almost the same as the opposite edge of the next instance.
    See pic:

Name:	cake.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	124187

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Is this a riff on that mograph tutorial a while back?

If your items are one continuous surface, you can use DPKit ROTATE node with a weight map to slowly extend something out in a circular manner.

Essentially: make half a ring. Weight map it it such a way that the moving end is 100%, the static end zero%. Apply ROTATE NODE modulated by the weight map. WALLAGH!

That's the basic theory: elaborate as needed. (Courtesy Bryphi77.)
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by pixeldepth View Post
    The faceting, I'm guessing, is coming from instancing the parts that make the entire shape, cause Smoothing is on, and I've played with the smooth threshold as well, if I use the same surface on a different piece of geometry, looks ok. So my guess is that maybe there aren't enough steps in the sweep around, but I think there are, as far as I can tell anyways, tnx anyways.
    ah...I see.
    But I think youre out in the wrong direction here, trying to acheive a single object smooth surface look with the help of a vast amount of instances, donīt think you can expect any decent results with that approach.

Michael

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Like I said, I suspect the OP is following a tutorial. If the OP could post the tutorial link we could help more effectively. (Apologies if not.)

Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
    Either A LOT of instances or "prebend" the parts in modeler so the normals near the edge of one instance is almost the same as the opposite edge of the next instance.
    See pic:

Name:	cake.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	124187
    Got it tnx, my object is definitely on the lower poly count. Will definitely try to up it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Is this a riff on that mograph tutorial a while back?

If your items are one continuous surface, you can use DPKit ROTATE node with a weight map to slowly extend something out in a circular manner.

Essentially: make half a ring. Weight map it it such a way that the moving end is 100%, the static end zero%. Apply ROTATE NODE modulated by the weight map. WALLAGH!

That's the basic theory: elaborate as needed. (Courtesy Bryphi77.)
    No tutorial, and probably would be a lot easier to just use mograph, but I'm a lil familiar with LW, and got my boss to buy LW for me, if I ask for c4d, he'll prob fire me, lol

Like I said, I suspect the OP is following a tutorial. If the OP could post the tutorial link we could help more effectively. (Apologies if not.)
    No tutorial dude, apologies accepted), not yet anyways lol (post a good one if you know it), just using the tools I (sort of) know. But I'll share something I'm trying to recreate with my own flair of course, but the idea is basically the same.

Name:	News_broadcast_design_by_blakk.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	350.8 KB 
ID:	124204

The hardest thing about LW (for me) is how to approach a project, I've only used 3DSMax (Of course who hasn't right) and its so simple to use, everything animates, 1 place to model and animate, a caveman could use it. I got used to LW from my previous gig, and I dig it, I even bought my own copy for freelance work, but there's just definitely a different approach to things and I don't get to use it much, and I have a hard time sometimes messing around with it to fit the workflow into my deadlines. So tnx again you guys, y'all are great for helping a noob out.

if you guys have another way, a better way, a more efficient way that I could accomplish my task, by all means do share. I'll be eternally grateful.

Tnx again.
    Last edited by pixeldepth; 09-12-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    ::genuflect:: Recently a poster put up a very similar technique using instancing for the same kind of look. It's not lathing, but he does manage to get the smoothing right:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....-Example-Video

Ah, here's the one I was thinking of:
    https://vimeo.com/99409339

::genuflect:: Recently a poster put up a very similar technique using instancing for the same kind of look. It's not lathing, but he does manage to get the smoothing right:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....-Example-Video

Ah, here's the one I was thinking of:
    https://vimeo.com/99409339
    WOW, absolutely sick work! those darn nodes.

The second one is great! tnx for the help with these resources I should be able to get it done a bit easier. He explains the smoothing issues I'm having at the end, I guess I have to up the poly count as someone suggested earlier. Tnx Jeric

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    ...I tried to get that ROTATE node thing working, but failed. It solves the smoothing problem neatly, but it's a multi-step process, and the memory is the second thing to go....

There's a couple KILLER weight mapping tools, by Ken Nign IIRC, that make putting gradient w.maps on arbitrary shaped meshes a breeze: thanks KEN!!! Look into them: they can make control in both Layout and Modeler very fine-grained.

Tnx Jeric, will definitely look into it.