Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should be the TYPE of USER that NT is going for for future LW dev?

Who should be the TYPE of USER that NT is going for for future LW dev?

If you were to describe the type of USER the LW dev team should be targeting
    How would these group of people person look like?
    Is he or she over under 30?

Is this person in a big studio or be indie devs?
    If this person works for studio, that kind of studios do they work in? Is it a Graphic Design shop?, Video Production house?, A game Studio? or a CG Studio?
    How big would this facility be?

Would they be using Lw with other programs? If so which ones?
    Has this person ever used 3d Before? If yes do they come from what type of environment Maya, Blender, Cinema 4d?
    Is this person a current LW users?

Does this person come from a production background? Maybe a videography background?
    Are they interested in game dev? Or are they interested in new technologies like 3d printing?

I am looking forward to your ideas on who should be the TYPE of USER that NT is going for for future LW dev.
    Ill post mine in a couple of hours.
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 06-22-2014 at 07:09 AM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

LW needs to get back in the door apparently, so that there is an industry looking for people that use it.

But don't forget the thing LW excels at from my point of view. A good path into the industry for those interested. In 2009 when I decided to get into 3D graphics as a career change I found LW affordable, (for the price of building a decent computer I could get industry capable software) learnable (I could teach myself to use it and you had a great booster to that with the 24 hours of training plus new features) and versatile enough (I don't have to use other software to get really good results.)

Well, it could completely backfire but here's an idea. They need people who don't know anything about 3D.
    The educational materials available for LW is, limited. Very much so.
    The free 24 hrs of training is a nice thing to have available but doesn't live up to the fullest potential of the idea behind it.
    The idea is to give people the tools to teach themselves. But they have to take the extra step of downloading the materials.
    Then picking out which video is the one they want. "Oh wait, that wasn't what I thought it was."

What I am suggesting is to take the "Help" file to a new level and perhaps even calling it a new mode.
    Go from "Discovery Mode" to "Learning Mode". By engaging this mode, the screen would snap to window presets with numerics panel, point stat panel, layers panel, and a window playing the video to walk a person through software features from step 1.

It would be the software that teaches the people how to use it.

This COULD backfire in eradicating what limited educational offerings are available by simply making the market too unprofitable.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    ??? Are learning materials THAT limited? Liberty3d not enough?

Now, there is a tonne of stuff on YTube, BUT, and it's a big but, it's not a curriculum. Beginners would waste too much time looking at stuff beyond their comprehension, currently. If LW3dG created a PLAYLIST, which is perfectly possible, they could construct a curriculum that would bring newbies along, but they would be at the mercy of the OPs of the videos.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    ??? Are learning materials THAT limited? Liberty3d not enough?
    How many books are available to learn Lightwave? If you go to a bookstore and look for 3D what titles do you see? How many Lightwave courses are offered in schools? Yes, in my opinion learning materials ARE THAT limited.

Liberty 3D is great. But, it isn't a step 1 course in using Lightwave. And if I am completely honest, I think most training videos out there aren't professionally produced courses but screencap tutorials. I have courseware I paid for with less than professional audio that has poor headset mic's and you can hear the person's email notifications, phone beeping, etc... A top notch system of teaching that includes zooming on the screen to show what a button says clearly, not just the yellow highlighter. (It doesn't help much on a 13" laptop.) Not to mention some users who make videos don't like to talk at all. A professional voice over would be nice. (Although I freely admit could be lost on users who aren't fluent in English...but as the interface is in English many users know it.)

I'm just saying there is a difference between being a real teacher and showing someone how to do something.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Books: you got me there. Blender has far more, and of course there's dozens for Maya. OTOH, are we any worse off than Houdini?

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    OTOH, are we any worse off than Houdini?
    Touche.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    How many books are available to learn Lightwave?
    None (pre-existing titles ofc not counting)... There's utterly no point in producing such for LW anymore, you'd only lose money if you did.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

They should target ALL types of users - simple
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Point made..
    But see it from this point of view.
    Lightwave needs NEW USERS.
    BAD
    It is not like existing user of other app will jump into the LW bandwagon.
    Our rep is sealed in concrete in the high end market. Thank god the hi end market is going by bye bye,

That means that NT has to offer something to new users
    For me this potential NEW USER would be someone like this.

• Under 30
    • work in a small studio/indie developers
    • Would be instested in GENERALIST 3d Tools that allows for EASY Video Production, Motion Graphics. And maybe explore new markets (more below)
    • The would be using LW as part of a suite of Tools. Mostly
    • Interested in the UNITY 3d enngine and VERY FAMILIAR with the Adobe toolsets. Mostly Photoshop and After Effects.
    • The person would be familiar with 3d Principles but not an expert in any sense of the word.
    • And the person would have NEVER used LW. This person would be using LW becasue they heard it is VERY good doing doing [X]
    • The user has an artistic background.
    • He or she is intimidate by the complexity of hi end 3d app and he or she is looking for a turnkey app that allows for the creation of 3d content with ease.
    • This person would be interested in new tech like indie game dev and 3d printing?
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 06-22-2014 at 04:01 PM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

did some "research" way back... quite related to this subject :]

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....-do-you-use-LW
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....you-use-LW-for

could quite possibly provide some answers...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    Well, it could completely backfire but here's an idea. They need people who don't know anything about 3D.
    The educational materials available for LW is, limited. Very much so.
    The free 24 hrs of training is a nice thing to have available but doesn't live up to the fullest potential of the idea behind it.
    The idea is to give people the tools to teach themselves. But they have to take the extra step of downloading the materials.
    Then picking out which video is the one they want. "Oh wait, that wasn't what I thought it was."

What I am suggesting is to take the "Help" file to a new level and perhaps even calling it a new mode.
    Go from "Discovery Mode" to "Learning Mode". By engaging this mode, the screen would snap to window presets with numerics panel, point stat panel, layers panel, and a window playing the video to walk a person through software features from step 1.

It would be the software that teaches the people how to use it.

This COULD backfire in eradicating what limited educational offerings are available by simply making the market too unprofitable.
    books barely used anymore, it's videos that is the new era...

LightWave 11 course
    http://www.sharbor.com/products/AGAN3010021.html

and >
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....26#post1220226

----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    None (pre-existing titles ofc not counting)... There's utterly no point in producing such for LW anymore, you'd only lose money if you did.
    could you emphasis on that... ?

this said, HUGE THANKS to you Craig, i learned a lot from your videos...
    i honestly feel a bit bad about it... :/ i hope you do not feel that you lost too much time. sincerely.
    Last edited by erikals; 06-22-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Personally I think we are reaching a new era in terms of expectation of tools.
    In my humble opinion most new users would prefer more intuitive toolsets.
    And I would assume that they would have little patience for tools that require a TON of training.
    I would see theses potential new user as very tech savvy with very little patience.

robertoortiz
    ...I would assume that they would have little patience for tools that require a TON of training.
    well, yes / no....
    i used Maya for some time, and it required a TON of training, it was far from perfect.
    i would say this goes for Houdini too,
    it goes for Modo as well,
    and C4D,
    and Max is being abandoned for VFX by AutoDesk (read up on it)
    and SoftImage is killed by AutoDesk

so, i wish you would stop painting this black / white image Roberto... :/

none of these packages is perfect at everything (!)
    Last edited by erikals; 06-22-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    But is that practical?

Not with LW3dG's resources.

Or am I missing the sarcasm?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast