Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 cubes, 3 hinges, 2 endomorphs and 1 problem

4 cubes, 3 hinges, 2 endomorphs and 1 problem

The problem is the boxes are changing size as they move, I don't want this to happen. Is this do-able with endomorphs or should I be trying IK?

Lightwave 10
    Attached Files Attached Files
    pixinc

You can't do this with endomorphs because they're linear. Which means that all the points in your object are moving in a straight line from the base shape to the morphed shape which is why they are changing scale. So your rotations that you used in creating the morph are turning into point translations.

Thanks for that, do I need to do this as simple forward Kinematics. I t may look simple but it has me puzzled.
    pixinc

I wouldn't do this with morphs. It's better to rig it.

Meaning bones, with IK? I am not experienced at rigging and my knowledge on how you would put bones in a solid cube is zero. Thanks for the advice anyway
    pixinc

I dunno what you are trying to do exactly, but simple mechanical objects all you usually need is good pivot point placement and correct parenting.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I think it's a common misconception that IK has to do with Bones exclusively: not true. ANY item, including cameras and lights, can use IK.

Especially for pistons, IK can be used to build mechanical rigs. An entire complicated robot can be rigged using IK and zero Bones.

If you're a beginner, I HIGHLY recommend you avail yourself of Rebel Hill's rigging tutorials on YouTube, on his RHLW channel. Absolutely invaluable, and starting at the VERY basics, which it seems you need to get a handle on. I've used LW >10 years and it was good to have some very fundamental concepts re-visited.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

thanks, I am ploughing through these tutorials now
    pixinc

http://vimeo.com/97536384
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by marke; 06-06-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    pixinc

http://vimeo.com/97536384

- - - Updated - - -

Guess my mov hasn't been working, try this Danner http://vimeo.com/97536384
    Last edited by marke; 06-06-2014 at 11:02 AM.
    pixinc

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Gotta admit, while the tools we listed will most likely be sufficient, a fair dose of cleverness will probably be required to get it all working.

Thanks for not making me feel like a complete idiot. Each cube is a separate object with a pivot point, do they all look at 1 null goal with IK ? This will not stop them colliding with each other right ?
    pixinc

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    If they are only doing that motion ONCE, treat each pair separately. That's easy: it's just an elbow joint (I think).

I'm not the swiftest with this kinda stuff but: in LW I'd have an invisible "control rod" that is just two points. Think of it as a real world thing: when the points are far apart, the boxes hinge one way, when you draw the points together, they hinge the other way, just like pulling your hand to your shoulder.

Then you mirror the rig to the other side, using the same control points. If you get one side working, the other side HAS to work, no?

To continue with the analogy: imagine you glued one box to your (outer) forearm, and another to your tricep. (Your 'humerus'.) Right?

Remember you can move the pivot points to wherever they make sense. You can build a little 2d version of this with cardboard and brads to see how it would work.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Cool

Here's one half of your scene: Boxjoints.zip

Hey Jeric that is really cool and clever, the control rod (2points) is what I couldn't think of. I will let you know how it works out, many thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast