Thread: Animating paint thrown from a can

Animating paint thrown from a can

Hello, everyone...

I've been using Lightwave since the Amiga days but I primarily created static scenes with a fly-through camera and a few on objects being the extent of my animation experience. Now I've been assigned the task of animating paint thrown from a can (actually, spilling out from a color monitor, but the same concept). I've come across a few tutorials for animating water, but they center around waterfalls and the like, whereas I'll need more control over the shape and direction of a thicker substance. Can anyone give me any pointers as to where to start or do you know of any tutorials that might be of assistance?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Yeeeesh, that's probably about the hardest thing you coulda picked to animate. Lazy bum that I am, I'd first consult w/the director and get EXACTLY what s/he needs, and suggest ways around the hardest parts. IOW, can the edit be adjusted (before shooting) to make your task effective/possible.

That said, look into using weight maps to control any accumulation of paint, the puddle part. I may suck at this kinda thing, but I think any idea of 'simulation' via Bullet or PFX is a freeway to frustration and time wasting. I'd try to get a good 'waterfall' of paint, and separately get a good controllable puddle. Slap 'em together. Don't try to make the falling part DRIVE the puddle.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

I'd recommend reading up on surface hypervoxels; they can simulate thick, blobby liquids pretty nicely despite that they are a bit slow rendering. You will need to understand how to control all of the settings based on particle age, velocity, etc. Particle paint from the DP toolset can be used to make the surface voxels bleed onto the surfaces that they touch.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Yes use Particle Paint which is part of Denis Pontonnier's Rman Collection. I once had to animate mud splashing on a car and the Particle Paint plugin worked very well to get the mud texture to stick to the car where particles landed on it: http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Textures.htm
    Last edited by lertola2; 06-04-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Is this a job for Realflow? Blender? It's a very specialized element, find out how real it is meant to be before you decide how you are going to do it.

For a paint animation you could consider using the Worley Labs Polk - Acid plugin:

http://www.worley.com/E/Products/polk/acid.html

I think this is what you are looking for:

http://www.worley.com/Media/animations/polk/spill.avi
    http://www.worley.com/Media/animations/polk/stroke.avi

What a coincidence that I just purchased new licenses of the Polk and Taft plugins yesterday...

However a fluid simulation will give you more accurate results of course.

Cheers, Marander

Thanks for the help and suggestion!

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Question Particle Paint: not what I was expecting /Scene attached

SCENE ATTACHED. ParticlePaintTest.zip

Can anyone tell me what is going in here? The effect is not what I expected. It's like... an intersection with a World color Coordinate on the Y that is tied to the particle position??? Hard to describe, take a look. Requires Denis' RMan Collection plugins, Particle Paint in particular.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Is it the fact that the painted colors are changing that you do not understand? The documentation is not very clear but it looks to me like the painted color comes from the closest particle on the current frame. Since you are letting the particles fly through the floor the closest particle keeps changing over time. I think you have to get the particles to stick in place when they hit the floor. That way the color of each spot wont change.

I have done this kind of effect a couple of times in the past. Depending on the shot (but also deadline and budget), it could be done with different techniques (non linear morphs, LW particles+paint shader, Realflow or alternative fluid particle system). You can see a Realflow version of it on my website (TV Ident / TF1 2006-2007 @ 00:17).
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    SCENE ATTACHED. ParticlePaintTest.zip

Can anyone tell me what is going in here? The effect is not what I expected. It's like... an intersection with a World color Coordinate on the Y that is tied to the particle position??? Hard to describe, take a look. Requires Denis' RMan Collection plugins, Particle Paint in particular.
    You can't control particle 'stick' region with Particle Info
    but you can with 'Stick' option in Particle Paint node,
    works in Texture version too,
    probably only with F10 sequence not LWSN,
    I would use the 'Color Vary' parameter instead,
    it works like the LW Color Tool node, for varying hue
    you need a foreground color not a gray.

Denis.