Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something feels weird about the final 11.6 release

Something feels weird about the final 11.6 release

been testing the final release of lightwave 11.6 final build now for some week or two now..
    weird behavior such as VPR often freezes at some point when tweaking stuff, I do not recall this happening in in 11.6 previous build before that.

add a simple emitter to the scene, add a groundplane, then deleting the emitter..the emitter object is gone, but the panel of the emitter is still opened..and no matter what I do I can not close it.
    some occasional crashes I need to keep track on.

Edit...yepp saved the scene, tried to close it to get away with the emitter window...Crash!!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    add a simple emitter to the scene, add a groundplane, then deleting the emitter..the emitter object is gone, but the panel of the emitter is still opened..and no matter what I do I can not close it.
    Greetings,

I tried these steps in a 64-bit version of 11.6.2 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. When I deleted the emitter (by selecting it in the Current Item list and typing "-"), the emitter panel went away, too. Is there something else I need to do to trip this bug?

Jen
    Jen's 3D -- LightWave stuff.
    Jen's 2D -- my comic book.

Python is my smashing board. LightWave is my S.M.A.K.

Thanks for jumping in jen..
    Unless I canīt repeat it, or taking notes when this occours or actually look in the crash log, it wonīt be necessary I guess, I tried to repeat the process to see if it would do the same, but not at the first attempt, I will keep an eye on it to see if something similar happens again, I have a recollection of that it in fact did something similar earlier, but didnīt take notice that much at that time.

So I have no specific scene content where this happens, it just popped out at the time I was about to test something, It may be due to Lightwave being so advanced nowadays that it could have gotten self-awareness, and just decided to mess with me for itīs own internal fun

The other issue is more repeating, that is the VPR often suddenly freezing for a while when changing values in textures or other stuff, have tried changing the fps rate..but still there, but I will try and take note of that more and perhaps check against other previous versions with the same scenes/objects and tweaking process.

this was on windows 7 Lightwave 32 bit versions...I need to install the 64 bit version though, since I noticed how the 32 bit couldnīt handle over 3 millions of particles, which I think the 64 bit does, at least I have gone that far with previous versions but canīt recall if it were 32 bit or 64 bit.

a special scene I got issue with, poly heavy...that was the alien space jockey model over at foundation3d, it crashed using vpr on it, but that might be what to expect maybe for 32 bit not able to handle it, here I also recall older versions able to handle it, but not if I at that time used the 32 bit or 64 bit version..I thought I used the 32 bit version, but not sure really...I would have to go back maybe reinstall earlier builds just to verify that, or get someone else to test the alien space jockey scene on 32 bit version...with vpr.
    http://www.foundation3d.com/index.ph...p13_fileid=340

I will post back later ..and just maybe and hopefully I can deny these recent weirdness feeling I got, they are some kind of experiences I didnīt get with lightwave 11.6 previous builds, I want to conclude that it is something else than bugs at least.

Thanks!

Michael

Switching between VPR and modeller still crashes, mostly freezes (doing my head in..I use vpr a lot), and I've noticed if you keep vpr on and do other stuff on the computer everything slows right down...You always have to turn vpr off when making any changes.
    Be careful, you might learn something.

Multimedia & Tutorial channel
    Showreel - 2013

I received 2 days ago my new workstation and I can't recreate these problems. VPR seems solid and when I delete the emitter the window disappears as it should.

--edit
    YEP!
    I cleared the scene test scene, reloaded a new scene and it crashed.
    Last edited by bazsa73; 04-20-2014 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_B View Post
    Switching between VPR and modeller still crashes, mostly freezes (doing my head in..I use vpr a lot), and I've noticed if you keep vpr on and do other stuff on the computer everything slows right down...You always have to turn vpr off when making any changes.
    Welll...In my case it wasnīt about switching between modeller and layout, it was something purely in layout when somehow the emitter pfx window still was opened, after I deleted a simple emitter, I could move the window, but not minimize or close it or access it at all, so I figured I just clear the scene, then boom crash...but as I mentioned, havenīt been able to replicate it by setting up some sort of similar set up, not sure either if the installement of the new UI window tools might have something to do with it, but
    then again..I didnīt have that program running at all at the time, and I also had lightwave closed and opened several times after that.

The VPR issues for me is often when I drag timeline, or tweak textures in hypervoxels...and sometimes it just freezes for a moment, this wasnīt the case with lightwave 11.6 previous build...but again, I need to be more alert of when that happens and take notes on it..and check on the other version doing the same process.

Making changes in modeler and turn vpr off...I mostly do that, sometimes if using point clusters and modifying them, I need to switch to vpr directly for best overview (drawback of no point editing in layout) and I havenīt noticed any particular
    crashes in such cases, but depends highly on what you work with I guess, fiberfx polystrings seem to slap you in the face with crashes though..and thatīs even without vpr and only opengl.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_B View Post
    Is that on Windows or OSX? I notice VPR is significantly less well-behaved on OSX versus Windows, esp. w.r.t. stuff like ceasing to "recycle" rendering when LW isn't foreground*, Layout->Modeler switches, and so forth.

*: To clarify, I'm referring to how VPR should eventually stop rendering once it converges to "stability", but on OSX frequently seems to instead start over re-rendering the frame despite Layout not being the foreground application. If Layout isn't the foreground app, there shouldn't be any events that could trigger re-rendering the frame reaching Layout, yet I've seen it do so many times. Unfortunately, this is one of those scenarios where providing content or reliable repro is quite difficult, because I only notice the issue when VPR fails to stop consuming cycles after a while.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Is that on Windows or OSX? I notice VPR is significantly less well-behaved on OSX versus Windows, esp. w.r.t. stuff like ceasing to "recycle" rendering when LW isn't foreground*, Layout->Modeler switches, and so forth.

*: To clarify, I'm referring to how VPR should eventually stop rendering once it converges to "stability", but on OSX frequently seems to instead start over re-rendering the frame despite Layout not being the foreground application. If Layout isn't the foreground app, there shouldn't be any events that could trigger re-rendering the frame reaching Layout, yet I've seen it do so many times. Unfortunately, this is one of those scenarios where providing content or reliable repro is quite difficult, because I only notice the issue when VPR fails to stop consuming cycles after a while.

My system specs says? windows7 but who knows ..could have been on another computer of course.
    So no OSX issues here..just some other prank it pulls on me.
    but itīs not similar to what you describe either, it can happen when I tweak som hypervoxel setting, or texture setting working with procedurals and dragging some frequencies or other values..it works fine for a few seconds, then occasionally it
    halts and do not refine at all for some second...and then it sort of carries on with the refinement after that..and I can continue to tweak ..until it happens again.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    My system specs says? windows7 but who knows ..could have been on another computer of course.
    Or it could be I was asking IvanB, the person whose post I'd quoted, and who didn't have that info in their sig.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Or it could be I was asking IvanB, the person whose post I'd quoted, and who didn't have that info in their sig.
    I could be me having gritty reading glasses too you know sorry about that.

Michael

Hey jwiede I have a win 7 setup ...after some testing what I found was that when vpr is rendering (must point out I use vpr without draft mode and 10 samples, so it renders for about 10 sec) and im in modeller or ps its is really sluggish, but once the render is finished all is back to normal.

However making changes to a model in modeller while vpr is rendering it, and switching back to layout cause a crash as the model tries to update itself almost every time!

Just made myself happy...made a shortcut for vpr I assigned "v" for vpr!! ...the small things
    Last edited by Ivan_B; 04-21-2014 at 09:58 AM.
    Be careful, you might learn something.

Multimedia & Tutorial channel
    Showreel - 2013

I think I need to go back and install 11.6 build before this final build, I canīt say for sure if it indeed is the final build causing trouble or the fact that I now use it on another machine,
    though I am getting crashes all the time when switching to layout from modeler with vpr "accidently open'" Or it actually freezes and layout becomes completly unresponsible so I have to shut it
    down trough the task manager.

VPR is constantly getting some halts when tweaking hypervoxels, both in volumetrics and in surface mode..I can tweak some seconds but later on it just hangs for a few seconds instead of updating.

As it is now..it is in fact a real pain to work with lightwave..unfortunatly...but as mentioned, it could be driver issues to.
    I also get a lot of crashes when working with dpont textures ..but it happens so randomly that I canīt pinpoint it.

Michael

Well..fired up 11.0 though that install is 64, but I do not get the same issues with the vpr, I can switch between modeler and layout on the same scene without these freezing or crashing occouring...as I do get with 11.6 final 32 bit, not sure here if it is a memory issue due to subdivided terrain, though it isnīt that heavy I think, guess I have to try reduce it and test again.

Michael

If you have 64-bit available, I'd just not bother with 32-bit for HVs and the like.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    If you have 64-bit available, I'd just not bother with 32-bit for HVs and the like.
    there are some plugins not availbable for 64 bit both in layout and modeler..thatīs the reason.

besides ..Iīm not sure it is due to 64 bit, Iīm pretty sure I messed with larger scenes than this in 32 bit and swapping between modeler and layout without it go freezing.

The freezing occoured not on hypervoxels scene, but on a regular subdiv terrain, when switching from modeler to layout and it shouldnīt...and it happens each time I switch.

Michael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast