Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modeler "pick Surface" very slow

Modeler "pick Surface" very slow

Ok, what gives with the pick surface feature in modeler. OMG it is sooooo slow to load into with a decent size model. Then once you have activated it it is almost impossible to get out of it. Boy I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong cause this is insane. Been this way since it was introduced.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Wayne

What's the polycount of your mesh ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    What's the polycount of your mesh ?
    Don't have it in front of me but a lot. Over 100,000. But still, it has never worked at a relatively usable speed.

Well at 100k it shouldnt be that slow (although modeler generalyl is slow ) so maybe your openGL settings are slowing it down wven more ? Try to use MTShaders, VBO and Trasnparency off
    RAM-Studio

It took me almost 20 minutes to get out of it today. If it's that polygon limited you should have an escape mode or at least a warning before activating. I have Fprime which allows you to click in the render window on an object and it highlights the surface used. It works immediately but you have to be in layout.

Tried those before. Generally modeler is fast. Can rotate objects almost real time. Have about 5 different pieces of equipment on different layers. Each are probably 100k or so. Super fdast machine with fast open gl card. Crazy slow. Other thing I noticed is when activated it shows all the points of the model even though I have show points turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Heim View Post
    Tried those before. Generally modeler is fast. Can rotate objects almost real time. Have about 5 different pieces of equipment on different layers. Each are probably 100k or so. Super fdast machine with fast open gl card. Crazy slow. Other thing I noticed is when activated it shows all the points of the model even though I have show points turned off.
    Rotating (Tumbling) is not a problem, EDITING is slow but 20 minutes to get out of picking surf mode is way too slow, it takes 25-30 seconds tops on million poly object so soemthign is weird there.
    RAM-Studio

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    Lewis, what's the 'VBO' you referred to?
    Buffered (VBO) modeler settings to use Graphic card accelration. If you put it on "Streaming" mode then you use old LW pre 9.2 mode whcih was CPU acceleration only.
    RAM-Studio

Buffered (VBO) modeler settings to use Graphic card accelration. If you put it on "Streaming" mode then you use old LW pre 9.2 mode whcih was CPU acceleration only.
    I have it set to buffered always. Does it render the points in your display. Thinking that might be part of it. Even though I have show points turned off.

Can you record some video of what's happening maybe ? I'm not sure I understand what show turn off points are you refering to. PickSrf tool in modeler is part of Modeler 11.5 upgrade and it has 3 modes:
    1. Normal - not using new mesh geometry core but see textures,
    2. Fast preview - much faster mode with new mesh system but not displaying textures and having slight delay while starting the tool due fact that it copyes all to new mesh system,
    3. Fast defromation mode - is all same like mode 2 but disregrading smoothing settings also to speedup even more.

So either you are usign different tool or we ar enot on same page .

cheers
    RAM-Studio

Can you record some video of what's happening maybe ? I'm not sure I understand what show turn off points are you refering to. PickSrf tool in modeler is part of Modeler 11.5 upgrade and it has 3 modes:
    1. Normal - not using new mesh geometry core but see textur

So either you are usign different tool or we ar enot on same page .

cheers
    When you click the button to activate mesh turns to blue wireframe and shows all the points on the mesh. Once it turns blue you can click on part if the mesh and the system will tell you what surface is applied to that part of mesh. If you have surface editor open it will jump to that surface.

How do you access those 3 setting you spoke of?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Heim View Post
    When you click the button to activate mesh turns to blue wireframe and shows all the points on the mesh. Once it turns blue you can click on part if the mesh and the system will tell you what surface is applied to that part of mesh. If you have surface editor open it will jump to that surface.

How do you access those 3 setting you spoke of?
    Ok, if I go under numeric I see the settings. Fast preview give you the wireframe. Normal keeps things as they were before activating and seemed to go faster on a smaller object test I tried. Just tried it on a layer with object 325k polygons and it took almost 2 minutes to activate and almost as long to deactivate tool

I think I found the issue. In the perspective window I had that set to texture wireframe. I switched it so flat shade or wireframe and it is massively faster. Not sure why that should make a difference. Thanks for your assistance.

Wayne

Cool, good to see you solved it .
    RAM-Studio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast