Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying for a preview of 8?

Unhappy Paying for a preview of 8?

So I see in the latest (unnamed graphics magazine) us lucky Lightwave users in the UK can see a Lightwave 8 preview if of course you want to pay £20.00 (including VAT) for the privilege. At one of the Lightwave distributers in the UK

What's all that about! Having to pay to see something you have already bought? Is this the norm did the guys at the other previews have to pay to see it in the US? Just would be intrested to know because to me it sounds like one of two things.

Piss poor marketing strategy OR a dealer screwing the products loyal user base.

How do you expect to gain new users if you have to PAY for the privilege of seeing the product you may or may not want to buy
    Either Lead, Follow............. or get out of the Way!

LW Watcher
    I think it's more a question of a dealer trying to cover their costs because thy're not sure the event will payoff in sales terms. They seem to be trying to push people to upgrade by giving your entrance money back if you buy LW from them.

I don't think the strategy will work, I certainly don't like the idea of paying to get a sales pitch, even if I get to see LW8!

Another distributor in the UK did a similar thing - for free - a couple of years back, complete with freebies!

Paul

Paying 20 quid for a sales pitch - That's funny! Though that said, at least there's a demo - NZ is unlikely to see anything (as usual) until its out, I manage to save the $$ to upgrade and I do a LWUG demo with it. Its how it seems to work here...

I do think they'll demo it at the AEAF in Sydney, Australia in December, but I'll be blowed if I'll spend *$500* or so in airfares (then add in more to get accomodation) to see it! And you think 20 quid's pricey!

Hi Kevman3d,
    For me like yourself the £20.00 would just be the start as well, there is the travel down there (myself being from "Up North") then no dout (to stay safe on the roads) a stay over in London yuk!

I'd be looking at around £100.00 not quiet the $500 but still not worth the money.

There is a simple solution to this of course, why not put a video on the net showing all the new features AKA Siggraph.
    Then where ever you are in the world from a hobbit hole down under to a wippet racing track in the shadow of a smokey cotton mill next to the pigeon loft in the north of the UK we can ALL see them
    Either Lead, Follow............. or get out of the Way!

I saw that same article (3D World) thought about it, then decided to put the £20 to the update when it comes out!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Yeah,
    The cost for us 'oop North' to see something in London is quite big, very difficult to justify.
    Especially as we have already paid to get LW8.
    What d'ya reckon Badllama - Ya think Newtek should fly over Proton to the NW LWUK meeting (aka Kev's house) to demo it for us

LW Watcher
    Originally posted by badllarma
    There is a simple solution to this of course, why not put a video on the net showing all the new features AKA Siggraph.
    Then where ever you are in the world from a hobbit hole down under to a wippet racing track in the shadow of a smokey cotton mill next to the pigeon loft in the north of the UK we can ALL see them
    Naturally there have been more revelations since siggraph, so it's not the entire answer. There are already siggraph videos on the net so you can see LW8 demos: http://www.tv3d.com/Sig03/LW8.htm . Many thanks to Dave Warner (and Newtek) for making them available.

Paul

Hey thanx for that link, busy d/l'ing them right now, I just wish these had shown up earlier for peeps to see. NT need finger pulse on the (re-arrange to get quote)...
    Scott Martin NOT Martin Scott

Company website
    Life in B&W

LW Watcher
    Originally posted by samartin
    I just wish these had shown up earlier for peeps to see.
    They were put up not long after siggraph - they've been there a long time. There was a lot of discussion about them at the time.

Paul

damn, thanks anyways, I've only just started using this forum everyday now, so oops it was my loss, but the rigging part looks pretty good to me. Hey a positive post from me...

Company website
    Life in B&W

Are we there yet ?
    Ha !!!
    You LW's up North have it easy

Last time I went to see LW demo'd in London (about 3 years ago), it cost me £150 to get there on the train as I live in mid Cornwall. I couldn't get there before 11.00 and had to leave at 14.30 in order to catch the train. Even then I ended up sleeping in Plymouth station overnight because the connecting train was cancelled

Aye, when I was a lad .............

From viewing these videos, I gotta say I am quite impressed, not exactly revolutionary but compared to 6.0+ rigging is gonna be kinda fun...

Yog that journey was a bit hardcore

Company website
    Life in B&W

yeah £20 is a bit of a rip...andy bishop had a demo in AMGfx in london in 1998-1999 and that was free and a very cool demo of lw5.6 doing it's stuff in "lost in space" etc..and MR. bishop is a stunning demonstrator of lightwave..he's THE most enthusiastic person i've ever met in CGI...and his compny does stunning output for t.v and film.

maybe it's worth the £20 just to see him in action??!!

steve g
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

i might be reading to much into taht same article but on reading it my thought was if a distrubotr has ligthwave 8 then its has to have shipped by december 9th =)

but i dont knwo maybe they getting it abit early to show off

LW Watcher
    The distributor won't have it, just whoever is doing the demo on behalf of Newtek. There will be loads of people out there beta-testing LW8 for Netwek, but keeping quiet.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast