Thread: LiveText default location for the Observer Folder with TXT Linker

LiveText default location for the Observer Folder with TXT Linker

In LiveText 2.53, is it possible to change the default location for the Observer Folder when using the TXT Linker feature?
    Basically I want to use a text document that is on an external drive. I appreciate your help.

The location for the DataLink Text observer folder is fixed. There are solutions that might help if you are trying to make it 'appear' as if this folder is relocated, however none of these methods will do exactly what you are asking for.

- Share the folder over the network.

- Create a shortcut to the files inside. The shortcuts can be placed anywhere on the local system.

- Use the 'subst' command to make the folder appear as a drive letter. An example, from a command line type:
    subst L: "C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LiveText\Stats Plugins\Text Input"

This will make the DataLink Text folder appear as drive L: on your computer.

To remove the drive type
    subst L: /D
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

kanep,
    Thank you for your reply. Those are creative solutions! I've tried the shortcut and I'll try the others. I'm a teacher and my problem is that students don't have permission to access to the Text Input folder. If I tried the Database Linker, would the database also have to be in the Stats Plugins folder? I appreciate your help!

I've never used the Database linker, so I couldn't tell you.

If the issue is a permissions issue, then none of the above workaround are going to help. The folder itself isn't moving anywhere (just looks like it is) and the permissions will remain intact. You need to get someone with Admin rights on the machine to open up the permissions on that folder so that other people can access it (I set mine to Everyone). They don't have to give access to all of Program Files, just the 'Text Input' folder. Then you can create a shortcut for this folder on the desktop so you can access it directly.

There is no other way.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

kanep,
    Thank you! I've contacted our tech department about the issue.