Thread: Modeling Question on a Letter

Modeling Question on a Letter

I am not a professional animator but have been learning lightwave for a business I started. I used the text layer tool in modeler and created a T. There is a gap in the top right corner. I have tried numerous things and each time I think I fix it when I do a render in layout it shows up as a small line. I was going to leave it alone but really want to know what I am doing wrong.

I have tried merging points together but it still shows. I tried making a polygon by selecting points and hitting P. Each time I do something I think I get it just right and fixed but in Layout I can see a line like it is not fixed. Can someone point out what I am doing wrong. I thought merge points would fix it but it is not working.Attachment 120724Attachment 120725

That happened when you beveled the front/side faces.
    Use something else for such things, like chamfer, smooth shift, multishift, rounder - these will do a group of polys as one.

Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx View Post
    That happened when you beveled the front/side faces.
    Use something else for such things, like chamfer, smooth shift, multishift, rounder - these will do a group of polys as one.
    When I created the Letter T, I did not make it myself. I just used the create Text Layers tool and it did all the work. I wish I could say I knew how to make it myself but I am not that good. Is there a way to fix what I have? Thanks

Two quick things to check come to mind:

1. In wireframe display mode, zoom in to the area where the line is appearing. If the points at the end(s) are seperated, select them and press CNTRL W to weld them together.
    2. With the "T" layer selected, press the W key to bring up the Statistics panel. Ensure you don't have any one or two-point polys. If so, select the + key adjacent to them to highlight them, and press the delete key.

CC

Attachment 120736
    Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    Two quick things to check come to mind:

1. In wireframe display mode, zoom in to the area where the line is appearing. If the points at the end(s) are seperated, select them and press CNTRL W to weld them together.
    2. With the "T" layer selected, press the W key to bring up the Statistics panel. Ensure you don't have any one or two-point polys. If so, select the + key adjacent to them to highlight them, and press the delete key.

CC

I can see that some of the points are not aligned and I am doing my best to align them but it still did not work with the weld. I am attaching a screen shot of the statistics panel. What I want to know is if anyone else is in modeler and they go to

1. text layers
    2. Put a Capital T and choose arial rounded mt bold 400

Do they have the same problem too? Thanks

Attachment 120737

You probably have some 2 point polygons on your model T.

Select "Polygons" then hit W key to see statistics ( like you've done with Points )
    If you have any 2 point polygons select the "+" next to them and delete the 2 point polygons.

Hope it helps

EDIT: I see ccclarke has already suggested this!!
    Last edited by daforum; 03-13-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

Quote Originally Posted by daforum View Post
    You probably have some 2 point polygons on your model T.

Select "Polygons" then hit W key to see statistics ( like you've done with Points )
    If you have any 2 point polygons select the "+" next to them and delete the 2 point polygons.

Hope it helps

EDIT: I see Airwaves has already suggested this!!

Yippeeee!
    That did the trick. I guess I did not have polygons selected. Thank you everyone for your input. Problem solved.