Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting labels off beer bottles to scan?

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Question Getting labels off beer bottles to scan?

Anybody got a slick trick to remove labels from beer bottles so you can scan the labels?

Used to be you could soak 'em off, but adhesives have improved.

(Obviously, if this were a real gig the client would give me fresh unapplied labels or artwork.)
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Most still come off if you soak em... otherwise soak in hot water to melt the glue.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

I would just lock down a camera on a tripod, take multiple pics using as long a lens as possible (to flatten the images as much as possible) while rotating the bottle (use a lazy susan if you have one to minimize shifting the bottle off-axis.) Then stitch the pics into a single flat image in Photoshop.

If you're in a hurry and not too picky, just put it on the counter, shoot pics with iPhone, and stitch in PS. Watch the lighting--try to get it as non-directional as you can. I did pretty much just that for many commercial productions in the past.

G.

I have no idea if this would work, but...

Soaking until the glue goes soft seems like it might compromise the integrity of the paper of the label. So, what if you poured the beer into a glass (to be enjoyed at your leisure) and filled the bottle with boiling water? Would the hot water inside the bottle loosen the glue enough to be able to remove the label?

Or yeah, soaking them...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...a-bottle-label

Baking soda seems to give good results according to popular mechanics. Worth a shot.

From the site...

Baking Soda and Water

Directions: Three bottles, 16 tablespoons of baking soda and 32 cups of water, soak for 30 minutes.

Results: After 30 minutes, the bucket had two full labels floating on the top—a very good sign. One bottle required a peel of the main label, which came off cleanly—and another bottle was good to go with a simple wipe of the rag. The third bottle, however, proved more difficult. Although the top label floated away during the soak, the main label required fingernail peeling and steel wool (although it was a clean swipe with the steel wool, unlike with the soap-and-water method).

Heat Gun or Hairdryer; melt the glue. Should be able to pull the label without damaging the label at all. Just make sure to keep the heat moving, heating the glass in one spot too much could cause it to crack.
    For Is and Is-not though with Rule and Line
    And UP-AND-DOWN by Logic I define,
    Of all that one should care to fathom, I
    was never deep in anything but--Wine.

A worthy endeavor in it's own right for sure.

But if the brand is not too obscure you may just get lucky with a Google search.

(heck, even if it's very obscure.)
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

If you have photoshop, Bridge has a panoramic tool that will automatically stitch together images so you could take a picture of the label, rotate the bottle a bit at a time taking pictures as you go as suggested above.

If you are feeling up to a challenge, this has worked for me, with a client who wanted save the original.
    Open the scanner cover, place the bottle, label side down, close to the end it starts it's scan. Click your button to start the scan, and as the scan head moves across the bed, roll the bottle of beer, or whatever, so that the label position matches the moving scan head. A bit tricky I admit, but after a try or two, I have gotten excellent results. Good luck.
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

You could use Lightwave to unwrap it.

Just take a photo, project it onto a cylinder and then bake out the texture.

My favourite method:
    Last edited by Danner; 03-12-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Thanks fellas: an inspirational # and variety of techniques! Much appreciated.

Great tips!

p.s... at times you want to re-type the small text manually, or using OCR.
    Last edited by erikals; 03-12-2014 at 07:30 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    If you have photoshop, Bridge has a panoramic tool that will automatically stitch together images so you could take a picture of the label, rotate the bottle a bit at a time taking pictures as you go as suggested above.
    ??? You mean the "Send to Photoshop//Photomerge" function?

Front projection camera. Attached is a scene from another thread, swap the image, & position it better & make the object with more divisions so it is smoother. Then you will get a better quality original.

Photograph your bottle as far away as possible with longest lens as you have & as square on as possible. On a tripod as already mentioned to get best results, or failing that set the camera up on a solid base and square on to the bottle.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast