Thread: Clone Instance doesn't instance children

Clone Instance doesn't instance children

Just double checking on this after searching everywhere and finding no mention of it, but when you do a "Clone Instance", it only clones the object you selected, if that object is a null parent to a lot of objects, it only clones the null. As far as I can tell, and after searching online and the manual, there's no way to also make instances for the hierarchy, correct?

It confuses me because the manual says that a clone instance is basically the same as a pivot instance, but when you do a clone instance there's no instance generator, either in the original null or the cloned one.
    Last edited by Sebasvideo; 03-03-2014 at 07:12 PM.

The Clone instance command creates a Null object with an Instancer on it set to Pivot, with the original object set as the Instance. To make it instance the children as well, go into the Instancer interface and toggle the Child function on. It's the column just before the Instance name.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
    The Clone instance command creates a Null object with an Instancer on it set to Pivot, with the original object set as the Instance. To make it instance the children as well, go into the Instancer interface and toggle the Child function on. It's the column just before the Instance name.
    That's precisely my point, if I clone a null that is parent to a group of objects, the cloned null is just a null, when you go to its instance tab there's no instancer. Of course you can add it, then add the parent null you wanted in the first place, but that's no different than just creating a null and do the same thing.

Hmm, that's looks like a bug then. I'll fog it.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

What you want is maybe a Clone instance Hierachy... send in a feature request.

A simple solution is to make a new null and add an instance of the first null and check the instance children, now you can just clone your new null and you will get instances of the whole hierachy.