Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Softimage dead?

Is Softimage dead?

Word from the street (from some big studios) seems to confirm this.

http://www.si-community.com/communit...p=41341#p41341

If true, this honestly is really sad news.

-R
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Still don't understand why people think that AD will support 3 Apps of the same type.
    Now they may keep Maya and discontinue Max, but XSI will definitely be discontinued.

Softimage was a jewel and it's a really sad day to hear more of this about such great and solid software. I was sold...too late.
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Well, it certainly looked pretty dead to me, development-wise for the last couple of years. Now it looks like the fan base are confirming it. A shame, considering it was the strongest AD product by far.
    3d animation? Hah! Did you take a look through your window?there´s plenty of it...and pre-rendered!!

Not doing nothing.... Tranimatronic's Avatar
    As far as I remember, about 2 years ago Autode$k dissolved the softimage development group and put the devs on integrating ICE into Maya.
    They moved softimage development to Singapore (the team is 6 people strong). Then they encouraged people to buy it kind of like a plugin for Maya in one of its suites.
    Odd seeing as though to many it was their strongest app for animation....

My view is that AD only bought SI to squash a competitor. No surprise that its going tits up. Maybe even to take some of its tech. But AD never had any real desire to better it.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    My view is that AD only bought SI to squash a competitor. No surprise that its going tits up. Maybe even to take some of its tech. But AD never had any real desire to better it.
    I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly AD didn't go after SI. AVID was looking to unload it and AD bought it for some insanely low price like $5 million. ICE alone is worth that. But no, AD was never really interested in developing three different 3d software packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly AD didn't go after SI. AVID was looking to unload it and AD bought it for some insanely low price like $5 million. ICE alone is worth that. But no, AD was never really interested in developing three different 3d software packages.
    Not sure if it's sad or funny that an app like this was sold for five millions, while some weird app I've never heard off was bought by Facebook for godzillions of dollars...

the user base is low compared to 3dsmax and maya so it makes financial sense to pull the plug on the least performing app revenue wise.
    not nice but the accountants always get their way over at autodesk....a large portion of subs revenue fro 3dsmax get punted over to maya R&D
    as max has many more users so more revenue but curttting edge stuff is in maya so move the money where it's needed.

same with softimage..the developers all got re assigned form softimage to maya a few years ago...and a new smaller team brought in to fix bugs in softimage.
    ...that's it..

softimage will probably end up as the bundle extra in the suites only much like how toxik became 'composite'
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Njjjeeeeeeeet!!!

not a good day if true... :[
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

As dead as Messiah.

as dead as silo...
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Not doing nothing.... Tranimatronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    As dead as Messiah.
    You mean in a "the only developer has been distracted by his new kickstarter project" kind of way?

Quote Originally Posted by Tranimatronic View Post
    You mean in a "the only developer has been distracted by his new kickstarter project" kind of way?
    What's the KS project?
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

yes, what's the KS... ? :°
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast