Thread: Please help me understand rendering

Please help me understand rendering

Hello

I will buy Lightwave soon. I am learning about rendering. I learned about Octane and its weakness.

I am building a new computer with a 8350 or i7 4770K. I have a GTX 660 and I am thinking about getting a used GTX 580 Lightening with 1.5gb. I learned about set up a system with Lightwave and Octane using two gpu's. The 580 for monitor and the 660 for rendering in OCtane.

But if I wanted to render with a 2nd machine or only on one machine without using Octane, which video card becomes more important? Does Cuda amount count? Or is it all cpu?

I have a old Dell XPS 420 with a Q6600 cpu that is oc'ed to 2.9 ghz. I can keep one of the other video cards in it and use the other video card in the new build. How can I use the 2nd computer to help render?
    What if I use Octane also?

How about only using one computer?

If you're just using LW to render, what video card you choose makes no difference, its all CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    If you're just using LW to render, what video card you choose makes no difference, its all CPU.
    How about setting up a 2nd computer to help render?

Quote Originally Posted by yoshiii View Post
    Hello

I will buy Lightwave soon. I am learning about rendering. I learned about Octane and its weakness.

I am building a new computer with a 8350 or i7 4770K. I have a GTX 660 and I am thinking about getting a used GTX 580 Lightening with 1.5gb. I learned about set up a system with Lightwave and Octane using two gpu's. The 580 for monitor and the 660 for rendering in OCtane.

But if I wanted to render with a 2nd machine or only on one machine without using Octane, which video card becomes more important? Does Cuda amount count? Or is it all cpu?

I have a old Dell XPS 420 with a Q6600 cpu that is oc'ed to 2.9 ghz. I can keep one of the other video cards in it and use the other video card in the new build. How can I use the 2nd computer to help render?
    What if I use Octane also?

How about only using one computer?
    You got the video card backward....the 580 will kill the 660 in rendering speed for octane...
    But you can render with both cards...

For rendering with a second computer, that will be lightwave native render only....and only CPU
    You need to run screamernet to do it.
    You can't network render octane....so if you want to render with 2 cards, they both have to be in 1 machine.

Just use the dell for screamernet.

Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    Just use the dell for screamernet.
    Then you don't even need a graphic card.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

For network rendering, use this excellent render manager: http://virtualcoder.co.uk/amleto/

While it's not as easy as pressing F9 or F10, the more machines you have at your disposal, the more rendering time you save. Even better, it takes nothing to set it up, unlike Screamernet, which I never tried, but as far as I've read is really difficult, and with it you can't use all your machines you render a single frame, which you can with Amleto.

Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    You got the video card backward....the 580 will kill the 660 in rendering speed for octane...
    I don't think so. Got any metrics?

Also, how about keeping all of these very related questions in one of the earlier threads?
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Also keep in mind that Octane has limitations, like it can't do hypervoxels and something else. You should really check on those limitations when trying to make a decision, because Octane will run you close to $500, when if you add a little more money you can get a very decent second machine to use as a node. So it has to be a very basic machine, all that matters is the CPU, a decent motherboard and memory. The hard drive can be small and cheap, and you don't even need a graphics card, you can use the motherboard video since all the rendering will be done by the CPU.