Thread: Can displacement be controlled by a single color channel?

Can displacement be controlled by a single color channel?

Can displacement be controlled by a single color channel? What would the node set-up be? I watched an old tutorial by W. Vaughan that shows an array of pins whose displacement is controlled by an image. So, the pins rise more where the image is brighter. The node set-up, was: Image color > vector > displacement. It was a grayscale image. Which node would I use to specify a single color channel to be used for the displacement? For example, using only the red channel to displace the object.
    Thanks for any ideas.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Should be a doddle: find a node that gives separate access to the vector information in a color, split out the red, and wallagh!

Looking: Vector Scalar would work. There's probably (VERY likely) one that gives you simultaneous access to each channel- Vector Scalar only has one output, but you could always use 3 copies to get everything simultaneously.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by medicalart View Post
    Can displacement be controlled by a single color channel? What would the node set-up be? I watched an old tutorial by W. Vaughan that shows an array of pins whose displacement is controlled by an image. So, the pins rise more where the image is brighter. The node set-up, was: Image color > vector > displacement. It was a grayscale image. Which node would I use to specify a single color channel to be used for the displacement? For example, using only the red channel to displace the object.
    Thanks for any ideas.
    You might be looking for the Color Scalar in Nodes -> Tools -> Color Scalar. It takes a color and interprets its values and spits out a number from 0 (black) to 1(white). You can use this as a multiplier to drive the size of the vector driving your displacement, probably via the Math -> Vector - > Scale node.

Thanks all.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Vector>Scalar and Color>Scalar both work (see pic).

Haven't found a "breakout box" yet, but I'm sure it's there.... Of course, I could craft a breakout box using a Compound Node, and then I could share it with everyone. But I'm still looking for a native version.

Color>Scalar has few more output options like max/min/avg, than Vector>Scalar does.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ColorScalar.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	120117
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.