Thread: Lightwave <--> Maya Interchange: Camera and Envelopes

Lightwave <--> Maya Interchange: Camera and Envelopes

Guys
    I need your help. Beside Point oven, are their tools to transfer Exact Camera information between Lightwave and Maya where one can constantly go back and forth.

Basically I would like to have a render of a mesh, in exact same placement in camera, with both apps' camera.

FBX?????!!!

Also can one export motion curves back and forth between each app?

Not sure if so ething improved with FBX recently, but it wasn't exporting any keyframes last time I've checked...

On occation, FBX can screw things up regarding cameras, but in most cases it works flawlessly.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Julez, I've used these scripts to transfer cameras from lightwave to max several times and it is perfect. I think it might work well with Maya
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/camera-i-o

but usually you after importing stuff between max and lightwave with FBX you have to adjust the Horizontal FOV to match the cameras. That's the only problem I always have.
    cheers
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

Hi there, in the past we have always used the following script to import camera / null position and rotation data into After Effects, I only mention this because the script exports out as a .ma file (ASCII Maya file). This maybe of no use as i'm not up to date with maya anymore, but just on the off chance.

link to script:
    http://mentalfish.com/2009/0lw-2-ae/

Quote Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
    Julez, I've used these scripts to transfer cameras from lightwave to max several times and it is perfect. I think it might work well with Maya
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/camera-i-o

but usually you after importing stuff between max and lightwave with FBX you have to adjust the Horizontal FOV to match the cameras. That's the only problem I always have.
    cheers
    Did you ever come up with a solution to fix Horizontal FOV to match the cameras?
    I found that if I set the Horizontal FOV to 1.01, it gets real close.

It does come very close indeed.

Do you bake out your deformations separately?
    Alembic ??????

I wonder why Newtek advertises Camera Perfect matching?
    Last edited by Julez4001; 03-22-2014 at 01:35 AM.

well, I never sent files between lw and maya só I can't really tell. But I've used those scripts between lw and max and it works fine in all aspects.
    If you do it with fbx you will get the camera fog wrong, and if it is animated then it's a big problem. If it is a fixed value it's easy to fix, just copy lws horizontal fog to max horizontal fog and it will be ok.
    With those scripts it's perfect. Now with Maya...I don't know. Lately I've been sending stuff from and to xsi and fbx works fine for that, even the camera fov comes right.
    Deformations we use point cache pc2 and it works all right, I never tried alembic.
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

I use LightWave's FBX export to move camera data to Motion Builder, Maya and Fusion--it works fine here. Be sure to enable Cameras, Animations and Bake Motion Envelopes.

G.

One more thing: if your camera is part of a rig, you'll probably want to bake its motion down to world space and then unparent the camera from the rig before exporting it. May as well keep it simple and foolproof.

G.

Seem like FBX is the way to go for Camera Matching
    This is a scene that started out in LW and then into Maya (2013).

When I did a camera match in Photoshop, I had to scoot 5 pixels to the right and 2 up to get it to exactly match.
    Anybody else had to do this?

Update:

I did a select all->copy-->paste
    when matching the pictures but when I do a frame flip in ACDSEE of both images they match perfectly.

In Maya, How do you get a basic no smoothing look.
    I thought it was soften/harden edges but nada. The surface in Maya has the normal "icky" look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LightwaveMaya_CameraMatch.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	127504
    Last edited by Julez4001; 03-15-2015 at 11:53 AM.

Try this...

Name:	Maya_SoftenEdge.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	127505
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

you might have to unlock your normals in maya before smoothing the normals. FBX has a normal locking feature which can screw things up some times.

After creating your maya point cache, you could try saving a selection set in maya and then saving the maya cache inside the fbx file. In the FBX caching options you must select the selection set of the object cached. I'm not sure if lightwave can open this correctly but it's worth a go. Otherwise alembic scenes should work out fine.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 03-15-2015 at 01:26 PM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Julez4001 View Post
    Seem like FBX is the way to go for Camera Matching
    This is a scene that started out in LW and then into Maya (2013).

When I did a camera match in Photoshop, I had to scoot 5 pixels to the right and 2 up to get it to exactly match.
    Anybody else had to do this?

Update:

I did a select all->copy-->paste
    when matching the pictures but when I do a frame flip in ACDSEE of both images they match perfectly.

In Maya, How do you get a basic no smoothing look.
    I thought it was soften/harden edges but nada. The surface in Maya has the normal "icky" look.

Name:	LightwaveMaya_CameraMatch.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	127504
    In PS make sure you are using ctl shift V so the pixels line up exactly where they were. Not sure if that was your issue or not. Smoothing in Maya as Jason said you may have to unlock normals first. After that you may have to use "set to face" to get the unsmoothed look. For the usual LW smooth look use "set smoothing angle", and the default I believe is 89 just as it is in LW.